BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty "Choke" doesnt. Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
My choke doesnt work - lever moves, cable is ok but nothing happens. I sort of remember that it locks onto the throttle mechanism via a grub screw or something. Maybe someone can confirm this. Is there an easy way to get at it to tighten the screw up? I had a look yesterday and it looks like I'd have to take a heap of stuff off to get at it.

2Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:51 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

3Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Inge K. wrote:Check this.
So you recon the small cam plate/bearing mechanism has come adrift? Cant see into there because of the fairing at the moment so it'll have to wait until I have time to pull the fairing lower off. In the mean time I'll just give it a little throttle to start. Smile

4Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:20 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If the arm/lever which the cable is connected to is moving but not the
links between the TB's......my guess is that the small bearing is out of position.

5Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:51 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good solve in the other thread inge ...they finally got the message and did it right

I have seen this also ....

when the bearing - ring around the cam adjuster arm (to raise the throttle bodies assembly ) has become out of round and flat spoted at one particular place ...which in turn fails to raise the idle bar across the throttle bodies with the choke lever activated .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Thanks Charlie.....I would try to keep that variation in mind.

7Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:21 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Inge K. wrote:If the arm/lever which the cable is connected to is moving but not the
links between the TB's......my guess is that the small bearing is out of position.

Yep, I'd recon you are right. The cable is connected and working. I do get a tiny bit of movement with the lever on full so I'd say the small bearing is out of position. When I get time I'll get in there and fix it.

8Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Rockman wrote:I do get a tiny bit of movement with the lever on full

When the function is correct you should have a 2,5 mm opening between
the throttle stop screw / idle adjuster and its rest plate on full choke. (if it's a K100).

9Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:21 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Inge K. wrote:
Rockman wrote:I do get a tiny bit of movement with the lever on full

When the function is correct you should have a 2,5 mm opening between
the throttle stop screw / idle adjuster and its rest plate on full choke. (if it's a K100).
Way less than that. Maybe 1mm at the most. I'll keep your number in mind for when I fix it.

10Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:43 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Should be 1 mm at the first step............if it's a K100.
Much play in the wire? ...if, have you tried to adjust the wire?

11Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:20 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
"Choke" doesnt. 112350
spot on inge

phil you could adjust the cable at the throttle bodies to match this at the first "click" setting ?  given all the other things are ok

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

12Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:13 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:"Choke" doesnt. 112350
spot on inge

phil you could adjust the cable at the throttle bodies to match this at the first "click" setting ?  given all the other things are ok
The movement is probably less than 1mm at the second stop. Cable has no free play (or just a tad) and there is little or no adjustment left. The cable pulls the lever it connects to all the way through to the stop next to the TPS so I'd say there is nothing more I can do there.
I'm going to have to get the fairing out of the way and fix it properly. Its not a big worry at the moment being summer but I'd like to get it working properly by winter though.

13Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:53 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sounds like the oring type bearing on the lever at the throttle bodies  phil  ...perhaps it has come adrift ?

you could probably see it best if you remove the tps switch assembly

14Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:36 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:sounds like the oring type bearing on the lever at the throttle bodies  phil  ...perhaps it has come adrift ?

you could probably see it best if you remove the tps switch assembly

G'day Charlie
Nup, I pulled the TPS off to try and get a look but everything looks and feels "normal" that end. I'll have to get a diagram of the whole mechanism to see how its set up. Cant really see much as it is.

15Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:43 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
What I guess Charlie have in mind is the bearing I did mention in the beginning
of this thread, that one is found between TB #3&4, if it's a K100.

"Choke" doesnt. Lager10

16Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:18 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks inge .....was trying to take a pic of the assembly whilst on the bike   ....but wait a minute that image seems reversed to some degree
the tps is at the rear not the front  or am  not being lateral thinking and its from the bottom side ?

in a storage box deep down I have a set of tbs as well ....that would allow a real close image ....just was waiting to the weekend... to pull it out if need be

cheers

seems I got the wrong end of the lever shaft phil ,,,,that starts at the tps switch

prolly the circlip has gone missing and the bearing gone  or become flat spot ?

good luck mate ....

17Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:31 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie the pic is upside down, Inge has taken it that way so you can see it from down under (looking up as it were) from the engine

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

18Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:44 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
god bless the man  keith

he is a wonder mate...............

19Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:55 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Yep he sure is.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

20Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:26 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Thanks, lads........

K75cster wrote:Charlie the pic is upside down, Inge has taken it that way so you can see it from down under (looking up as it were) from the engine
Yes, of course the picture must be from down under...so you down there being able to see it.

Here is a picture from the top and down.........
"Choke" doesnt. Blank10

Here is a Picture which someone else posted here earlier, it's much better than the
first one in this thread.
"Choke" doesnt. Choke_10

21Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Inge K. wrote:Thanks, lads........

K75cster wrote:Charlie the pic is upside down, Inge has taken it that way so you can see it from down under (looking up as it were) from the engine
Yes, of course the picture must be from down under...so you down there being able to see it.

Here is a Picture which someone else posted here earlier, it's much better than the
first one in this thread.
"Choke" doesnt. Choke_10

Aha - so its the little bearing on the left that has come off, or the nut that holds the spring loaded arm on the right. I might just be able to see that with the aid of a mirror. I'll have a look tomorrow.

22Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:58 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Inge K. wrote:What I guess Charlie have in mind is the bearing I did mention in the beginning
of this thread, that one is found between TB #3&4, if it's a K100.

"Choke" doesnt. Lager10

I had a bit of a look on the weekend. Looks like the whole rack virtually has to come out to get to it. Maybe I can get at it from the back if I pull the airbox out, but if I do that then I'm nearly all the way there anyway. Looks like an easter job when I have a few hours to spare.

23Back to top Go down   "Choke" doesnt. Empty Re: "Choke" doesnt. Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:39 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep that's a plan phil

look around for the thin wall type rubber mount clips in the mean time ...rather than the ocheter (sp) clips maybe

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum