BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Wasp bits fitting... Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:34 pm

touchwoodsden

touchwoodsden
Silver member
Silver member
I am starting to fit the  Wasp forks and wheels and subframe to my 1990 K100 LT.

I am going to paint the chair and all the plastic the same colour so I have it all off. Isn’t the plastic heavy!?

A few of queries please.

1          Can anyone please post up some photos of where to cut the plastic to accommodate the subframe and diagonal bracing bars from the subframe to the chair frame?

As I’m having the plastics painted it would be stupid not to cut them first and I would like to make a reasonably neat job otherwise I could end up with huge holes in it!

2          The next query is with regard to the subframe itself. A small query.

It’s obvious where it all bolts on but, with regard to the 4 bolts which hold the rear up to the platform on which this stand assembly used to sit/hang, does that bolt straight on or are there any spacers? I think it goes straight on but want to check.

3          Finally, with regard to the front brake pipes. Mine is an ABS model which doesn’t have the Y piece which comes out of the steering head. My metal pipe comes out between the frame tubes to one side of the bottom yoke. What has anyone else used to convert the single metal pipe to the twin flexibles required for the Wasp forks? Although I guess I could go down to one caliper and across as on the original. What does everyone else do?

Thanks all.

James M.

UK

2Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Re: Wasp bits fitting... Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:59 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
James, here's how I cut my side panels, but mine is an RS. It may give you some idea though.
Wasp bits fitting... Sam_1116

I also needed a small cutout on the left hand side panel to clear the frame clamp.

Wasp bits fitting... Sam_0510

You're right, the sub-frame bolts directly to the gearbox without any spacers.

I've no experience with the ABS brake lines, but I didn't use Wasp's plate to mount the standard brake pipe, I went for a banjo directly on the caliper which, IMO, makes a neater arrangement.
Wasp bits fitting... Sam_0910

BTW, on 10 11 12th April, Hedingham Sidecar Owners Club are hosting a camping w/e near Gloucester. It may be an opportunity to grab some ideas if you can get there, PM me for site details if you are interested.

Paul.

3Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Brilliant Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 pm

touchwoodsden

touchwoodsden
Silver member
Silver member
Thank you for the photos Paul. Really useful. Particularly the one of the front upper sub frame mounting cutouts.

I have the same 2 brake pipes for the front as you have but obviously, no Y piece.  On the ABS model there is one pipe from the steering head to one caliper and then it links from one caliper to the other.

Although I could do that, I can’t see a neat way of getting the pipe from one side to the other although it could go round the back of the mudguard and be held in place with a p clip.

I’m a long way from actually starting to reassemble yet so I’m just getting everything in order in my mind.

It’s 50-50 as to whether I would be free on that weekend in April but I would love to go. I believe that it’s at the Tudor Arms. It’s a great shame that a guy I work very closely with is away that weekend because he only lives about 3 miles away!

Still, I can always throw a tent up. I will call the organisers. Thank you for that. I really appreciate it

4Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Re: Wasp bits fitting... Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:02 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member

5Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Re: Wasp bits fitting... Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:12 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Bottom Pic of post 2 shows a 17inch rear used as a front wheel?????is that right?????

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

6Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Re: Wasp bits fitting... Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:27 am

KafeRacer

KafeRacer
Silver member
Silver member
K75cster wrote:Bottom Pic of post 2 shows a 17inch rear used as a front wheel?????is that right?????

I am intrigued as well,

I don't think that is anything stock, and looking at the brake disk, it looks to be even smaller then 17, also looks really wide, I am guessing it is something custom.

1990 K75RT
1985 K100 Kafe Racer
http://kaferacer.wordpress.com

7Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Re: Wasp bits fitting... Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:28 am

touchwoodsden

touchwoodsden
Silver member
Silver member
KafeRacer wrote:
K75cster wrote:Bottom Pic of post 2 shows a 17inch rear used as a front wheel?????is that right?????

I am intrigued as well,

I don't think that is anything stock, and looking at the brake disk, it looks to be even smaller then 17, also looks really wide, I am guessing it is something custom.
AFAIAA that is a Wasp front end same as mine which uses 15" wheel (I have car tyre on mine) also from Wasp and standard discs.

http://www.waspmotorcycles.com/on%20the%20road.html

8Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Re: Wasp bits fitting... Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:32 am

touchwoodsden

touchwoodsden
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Paul.

I did think of using one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-TEE-PIECE-BRAKE-CLUTCH-T-3-16-PIPE-METRIC-3-way-M10-PIPE-CONNECTOR-FEMALE-/130823159723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e75aaffab

But of course, the pipes down to the brakes would come out at 90° to where I want them, but I hadn't thought of using banjos!. Problem solved I think

9Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Re: Wasp bits fitting... Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:17 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
K75cster and KafeRacer, I know it seems strange where you might expect a car tyre, but the difference in using a bike rear tyre on the front of an outfit, compared to a car tyre, has to be experienced to be believed.

It's an Avon Venom 140/90 x 15, a typical custom bike rear tyre.

You'll find the reasoning here:-

https://www.k100-forum.com/t8977-sidecar-front-tyre

Paul.

10Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Re: Wasp bits fitting... Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:08 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
James,
Be aware that K fittings use 10mm x 1mm pitch (other pitches are available).

If you are into 'throwing up a tent' there are loads of options in the UK sidecar world!

The organiser of the April camping weekend, Alan, has a K100RT with a Hedingham chair......but he may be on his Tr***ph outfit. (I was brought up on Nortons and still can't bring my self to write the T word!) 
Wasp bits fitting... Alan_s10

Would be good if you can make it, even as a day visitor.

Paul.

11Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......... Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:24 pm

touchwoodsden

touchwoodsden
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Paul. I have had a reply from HSOC Alan this evening and I really am going to try and make it. Our MZ Riders Club Bristol section meeting is that weekend also on the Sunday lunchtime and it might be an opportunity for me to visit another section. Although, that weekend it also happens to be my own section meeting which I would miss. Oh well.

I have no shortage of different taps and dies and indeed thread gauges to identify threads. Whilst all the fittings on the K are metric, the sidecar fittings are ¾” x 16TPI UNF pitch. Because I’m sending everything off to the powder coat is, I just bought an SKF  tap (under a tenner from flea Bay) to clean out the threads. Mine is a very early chair and all the threads on the chair frame are also UNF. How quaint.

I really like the later Hedingham chairs, and particularly the XL which looks really practical but beggars can’t be choosers and I did pick up the one that I’ve got for three times the square root of bugger all in the whole scale of things. I thought 1500 quid for the chair, the wasp wheels, new tyres, the wasp forks, and the wasp subframe was a bargain. The subframe is brand-new.

The chair does need paint but has a good screen seat and hood. It’s got new suspension arm bearings or the wheel bearings were a bit crusty so I’ve replaced those (buttons in the whole scale of things) and I’m having the frame powder coated along with the wheel hub and the wheel re-spoked. I’m going to have the chair same colour as the bike and that colours yet to be decided.

It’s being done by a guy that I been introduced to who paints luxury horse boxes, and he has lots of “interesting colours” in stock so it really comes down to what colours he’s got available as to what colour it will be.

I quite fancy a sort of Tahiti blue but beggars can’t be choosers.

Watch this space.

12Back to top Go down   Wasp bits fitting... Empty Re: Wasp bits fitting... Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:29 pm

touchwoodsden

touchwoodsden
Silver member
Silver member
sidecar paul wrote:K75cster and KafeRacer, I know it seems strange where you might expect a car tyre, but the difference in using a bike rear tyre on the front of an outfit, compared to a car tyre, has to be experienced to be believed.

It's an Avon Venom 140/90 x 15, a typical custom bike rear tyre.

You'll find the reasoning here:-

https://www.k100-forum.com/t8977-sidecar-front-tyre

Paul.
The PO of my Wasp parts told me that he had exactly the same problem with the car tyres tram lining.
However what he did (on the recommendation of a noted expert!) Was to reduce the tyre pressure to about 20/22 PSI, and he said it transformed it.
At 25PSI he said it wasn’t good
We shall see

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum