BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Temperature Relay Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:53 am

Oliveri

Oliveri
Silver member
Silver member
Hi everyone,

Just read 'floyd's' thread re. Temperature Relay - Cooling fan not working. It appears that i'm having similar issues. Tested all possible connections but cant get the fan to work by jumping the sensor connections ("E" with the relay present in the socket). 

So I opened the relay: Temperature Relay Temp-relay 
...as you can see there is a burnt out circuit (on the left). Same spot as floyd's. 

Hmmm, what to do now? Can this be fixed (bridged with solder)? Or do i need to buy another? If i do need a new one, where can i get one for a reasonable price.

1988 K100RT...#0096960 ..."Heisenberg"...Status: Work in progress
http://www.oliveris.com.au

2Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:55 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I'd do the solder bridge first.  But before I fired it up I would be checking the external wiring the burnt trace connects to.  Who knows, maybe it will work.  At least if there is still a problem you won't be burning up a new temperature module.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:18 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
see if the fan is seized first ....could be drawing heaps of amps on activation

get a stick and try and turn the fan ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:46 am

Oliveri

Oliveri
Silver member
Silver member
...everything appears to work fine when i 'bridge' the contacts on the relay connector plug. 

- Fan works
 - Overheating light works

I also tested the resistance on the temp sensor (cold & hot) and it appears to be OK. 

However, with the relay connected i cant get any action from the fan by trying to earth 'E'.

I think the relay may have been fried when i played around with the old battery,....jump starting & all. Sad

5Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:11 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
do the "bridge"   but use a short piece of wire of small diameter (.25 mm ?) to join the two connection points

this will act as a fuseable link should anything happen in the future

good luck

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:40 am

Oliveri

Oliveri
Silver member
Silver member
will do, thanks Charlie.

7Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:56 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Oliveri wrote:......
Hmmm, what to do now? Can this be fixed (bridged with solder)? Or do i need to buy another? If i do need a new one, where can i get one for a reasonable price.
EME don't appear to have any. You can buy one from Munichmotorcycles.com.au in Perth if you're in a hurry (they put it in an overnight bag for $10) but they're pretty pricey. Last time I looked I think they were well over AU$150 but Motorbins in the UK have them for around ½ that price incl frt I think???

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Temperature Relay Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

8Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:35 am

Oliveri

Oliveri
Silver member
Silver member
Ok, so I created a 'bridge' with a small piece of wire as per charlie's suggestion. 

But now the bike will not start my fuel pump is not running and the #6 fuse keeps blowing.

So it appears that the bridge i created is now blowing the #6 fuse that also controls the fuel pump and FI. 

Removed my bridge, bike starts again & no blown fuses. 🇳🇴  Not sure why it didn't work. But it was worth a shot....

I just hope that there is no other underlying issue that will destroy a new relay once i get one....

9Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:46 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ok ...if the bridge then makes other things fail ...one needs to look at the component side and see whats causing the problem

I suspect ...(but haven't looked at the images yet ) that here is a blown component ...possibly a diode that has failed causing this issue ...once they go you need to replace

ill have a look at what images and explanation I can find ...

back later

edit

blast cant find the image I thought I had

anybody with a pic of the component side ????

Last edited by charlie99 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

10Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:10 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Oliveri, can you post a good close-up of the component side of that board?
Cheers mate

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Temperature Relay Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

11Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Oliveri

Oliveri
Silver member
Silver member
Sorry for  the delay. Work gets in the way of the important stuff from time to time. Here is the image of the component side.

Temperature Relay Temp-Relay21

It's the connection between the 2 diodes (red arrows) that appears broken.

12Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:25 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Have you tested the two diodes by putting the meter across then reverse the leads to see if they only conduct in one direction. Looking at that circuit there is a fair possibility that one of them is short circuit.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

13Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:22 am

T3CHNO1D

T3CHNO1D
Could also be the transistor connected to those diodes (3 diodes in all). Best way would be to un-solder one end of the 3 diodes to test each one isolated, and then test the transistor once one end of each diode is un-soldered.

Very simple circuit, easy to fix, all parts are still available, quad-comparator takes in signal and turns relay on/off depending upon signals. About $10-$15 in parts to replace everything but the relay.

14Back to top Go down   Temperature Relay Empty Re: Temperature Relay Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:02 am

Oliveri

Oliveri
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for all the helpful info guys. Today I went to a guy not far from me (Ray Peake - RJ's BMW Motorcycle Service) who had a spare relay, $40 problem solved. 

I will keep the old one and will get the relevant diodes to fix it (when i'm really bored one day). 🤡

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum