BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Help! started something big! Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:23 pm

Bruce

Bruce
Silver member
Silver member
Just wanted to lube the drive splines, and keep finding more stuff to fix.
stupid question time,
can I lube the swingarm bearings with the same grease as the drive splines?
My male spline from the transmission into the swingarm is looking very good, but thereis a sharp taper across all the teeth for the last 1/8", is this normal or am i screwed?
the driveshaft U joint didn't have very much grease on it, should I grease it up lots or is that bad? same grease as drive splines?
I'm sure I'll have more questions, will post pics with the questions asap. thanks for your help!!
Cheers B

2Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Re: Help! started something big! Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:12 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Lots of instructions on greasing the splines in the download section take a look there.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Re: Help! started something big! Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:39 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bruce, the U-joint has all the grease inside so should not really have any outside. The newer universals are available with grease nipples but if yours moves freely should be ok.
As for greasing the swingarm bearings the moly should be fine as it is pretty much the Rolls Royce of grease or should be based on what it costs. Sad

Regards,

Phil

4Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Re: Help! started something big! Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:50 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
The referred taper should't matter. Just slide on the shaft and see how far up it goes. I wouldn't worry about that. It should click as it is properly fitted with the spring ring. Not knowing the year of your bike...........

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Help!  started something big! Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Re: Help! started something big! Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Bruce

Bruce
Silver member
Silver member
thanks everyone! I have an 86 RT, and haven't done the spline lube yet, just making sure I don't miss anything important. thanks again b

6Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Re: Help! started something big! Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Bruce

Bruce
Silver member
Silver member
Help. Doing splines and installed tranny. Seemed to be very tight going on, is this norml or am I missing something? Any suggestions or help is appreciated. Happy riding

7Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Re: Help! started something big! Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:45 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Please be a bit more specific...
Is that the tranny, the splines on the clutch or the splines on the drive shaft being very tight going on?

8Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Re: Help! started something big! Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:35 pm

Bruce

Bruce
Silver member
Silver member
no worries! it seemed very difficult to mesh the tranny splines when I mounted the tranny. tried it several times and then read the manual again and gave it the ol college try and the tranny mounted up easy! Thanks for responding, in a bit of a panic when it wasn't going on easily. safe riding!! B

9Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Re: Help! started something big! Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:08 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
This is why the use of the clutch disk centering tool is recommended.

Rene

10Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Re: Help! started something big! Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Bruce

Bruce
Silver member
Silver member
Even if I didn't take the clutch plates out? I'll definitely remember that for next time!! thanks again! B

11Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Re: Help! started something big! Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:17 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Well, normally, if you haven't touched the clutch AND haven't touched the tranny (no turning of the shaft) it should go back easily as it should line up OK. As soon as you have turned one or the other it won't. If, during dismantling, there was some weight on the clutch disk it might have slipped a bit in the clutch and not center properly any more. Did you use long M8 bolts as guides? That should help considerable as well.

Rene

12Back to top Go down   Help!  started something big! Empty Re: Help! started something big! Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:01 pm

Bruce

Bruce
Silver member
Silver member
sure did, but it didn't seem to go smooth or easy (spider sense was tingling about it) but i tried it again and it went on ok, so far so good, hard part is getting the time to get the work done! Thanks for all the feedback!! b

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum