BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Classic style cafe Fri May 15, 2015 11:00 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
A LINK to this was posted on another thread earlier today by sj2000 but I liked this bike so much I wanted to post the pics for comment.
Classic style cafe Bmw%2BK100%2BOxblood-005
Classic style cafe Bmw%2BK100%2BOxblood.2
Classic style cafe Bmw%2BK100%2BOxblood-003

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Classic style cafe Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

2Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Fri May 15, 2015 4:37 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Seen this one before. Nice paint job on the tank.
Interesting mod to the silencer. Do you think that it has been cut and welded to put more of an upsweep on it?
Not sure I like the open end on it, looks like it has been just cut off.
Wonder how difficult it would be to fabricate a small reverse cone to weld on it or could the original end cap be welded on.
Would make it a bit more attractive and the removal of some of the baffling might make the sound a bit more interesting.
Not unlike your idea about modifying a K75 silencer.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

3Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Fri May 15, 2015 6:10 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The photos are nice and the colour scheme attractive, but I'm lukewarm on the overall treatment. More and more, K-bikes are being stripped and chopped to produce cafe racers. I was initially excited to see how this marque was being interpreted by the designers when they first started churning out on a grand scale around 2-3 years ago. But the excitement quickly abated.

The vast majority of builders end up doing the same treatment over and over -- strip off the Tupperware, delete the fender, add a cafe single seat or washboard, and change the instrumentation. That's scratching the surface over what can be done to these bikes to transform them. The tank remains the same BMW monstrosity. The engine and drivetrain are pretty much intact with the air box, radiator, battery box, etc. etc. Compare this with the "Kaugsta" by Romestandt Design. Larry has completely transformed the K, redesigning the frame, adding Ducatti and MV Agusta design keys to the machine, altered the fundamentals of brakes and engine. That's exciting to see. Few builders go that distance unfortunately.

4Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Fri May 15, 2015 7:08 pm

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
I'm not a huge fan of those cutting up good Ks for café style bikes, and yes a lot mostly look the same!
 I'm sure that most customizers use Larry's machines as a milestone that they aspire to. But the reality is that most people buy a K bike because it's a cheap entry level for the backyard customizer, that hardly have the funds and expertise that is needed for a build of that calibre. Most will build a custom bike that they will be happy to ride, and if that gives them pleasure well that's great. Not everyone is going to be able to build or have the best custom. Just as long as someone gets pleasure or therapy from the build, then well done.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

5Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Fri May 15, 2015 7:39 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I used to feel much the same as yourself, Rob. But what is the answer?
You buy a rough, old RT for a few hundred pounds, euros, etc.
Do you completely renovate it with new parts, as decent, second hand are becoming rare now? Get an expensive re spray?
Keep it standard or put your own mark on it?
To raise the subject of filthy lucre, how much less is it going to be worth than it costs when you are finished?
If you're not handy with spanners, the rebuild costs are going to make that 'new' brick for £10k look like a bargain!
I agree that there are some dogs out there that have been 'built' by lazy chimpanzees.
Cut a few bits off, put a set of clip ons on it and paint everything matt black. We've all seen them and the silly money they ask for them.
While few could argue that tremendous effort goes into Larry's creations, you do have to ask, WHY?
They are beautiful but they are show bikes.
I'm sure that Larry gets tremendous pleasure building these bikes and I do enjoy looking at them, but how does that relate to people like myself with limited skills, facilities and finance?
Quite a few people on the forum have built their own interpretation of what they think a custom K is and you can sense the pride and enthusiasm they have. More importantly, they seem to get used regularly.
Yes, would love to be able to fit a different tank, install a turbo, put wire wheels on it, etc, etc. The sKrambler would be my dream custom build.
But, back to limited skills and resources.Embarassed
Let's keep some perspective here.
It's never going to be a Manx Norton equivalent, more like a BSA A10.
They can be obtained cheaply, are relatively easy to work on and get parts for.
Most importantly of all, they are enjoyed by bodgers of varying skill levels. Isn't that the whole point of motorcycling?
Now, where did I put that big tin of matt black paint?

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

6Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Sat May 16, 2015 7:34 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Comberjohn wrote:Seen this one before. Nice paint job on the tank.
Interesting mod to the silencer. Do you think that it has been cut and welded to put more of an upsweep on it?
Not sure I like the open end on it, looks like it has been just cut off.
Wonder how difficult it would be to fabricate a small reverse cone to weld on it or could the original end cap be welded on.
Would make it a bit more attractive and the removal of some of the baffling might make the sound a bit more interesting.
Not unlike your idea about modifying a K75 silencer.
The silencer does normally have a slight upsweep John. I like how its been cut but not that it looks unfinished. Would be good to weld the end back on but its a little bigger than the middle section. I'd say with a bit of effort and some tinkering it could be done tho. I still like the K75 muffler option.

Larry's designs are great but at what cost. Not everyone has the resources to create a machine like those. At the end of the day its a form of creative expression. Everyone has their own interpretation and abilities to work with what they have. I think its just great to see the different creations people make... the amazing, the good or the not so good. Unfortunately some are just a complete waste and its a pity to see the potential of a loverly K go to waste with some of the 'budget' cafes and bobbers you see paraded.

While I like to look at and admire some of the machines out there, there are not very many that I think... "they got it right". There are quite a few that have incorporated some great design features but have failed to 'bring it all together' into a beautiful machine. It's difficult.

I agree with John. At the end of the day you gotta be able to get out and knock around on your bike, use it, wear bits out, maintain it and show it off. I really like Larry's creations but they're for the well heeled fairweather rider at best. At worst, they're trailered to a 'show n shine' event.

I don't think I'd ever do a cafe style but I like to see what people are doing to work out what works and what doesn't. My intention is to tweek mine into a tasteful classic sport tourer with some small but interesting mods. What I like about the K is the tank and the tail. These are defining early K series features and they'll stay. A scrub, new paint and some modern upgrades to add relaibility and appeal. Customised muffler, paralever, digital instruments, customised seat. Some tweeks to the engine management system etc. A gradual evolution, and I'm sure my ideas and tastes will change over the next few years

7Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Tue May 26, 2015 5:53 am

MadRider

MadRider
Silver member
Silver member
Very interesting idea of the project!
But I think what the unpainted engine, box and engine wiring are too rough in comparison with the varnished top. This is the only thing that prevents this motorcycle to become the real Wiesmann among caferacers  cheers

Classic style cafe Exterieur_01.1432630156

8Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Tue May 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I would agree, MadRider.
I think if I had gone to all that trouble and expense with the paint and details, I would have tried to clean the engine cases or else paint them.
I've used a small, fine brass brush on mine and they came up really well, despite having a lot of salt corrosion.
There again, maybe that's the look he's after. Like he uses it every day for work. Laughing

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

9Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:06 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
roving through the Kafe's on google this morning , sacrilegious what they've done . 
Mind you some creative samples found in there ,including the one you showed us Nigel . 
If you had a spare basket Kase , you'd be very tempted. apart from a tail chop , the Konversion would be reversible wouldn't it?

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Classic style cafe 10_x_110

10Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:30 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Ed, if I happened across a basket Kase K75 I'd be very tempted to join the Kafe set. I think the 75 is more suited to this sort of conversion. My problem with cafe is that they're not all that practical so it would only ever be a second machine to toy with.
However, other more pressing priorities at the moment.

11Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:47 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
priorities , same here Nigel. 
had some contacts with the local cafe groups here in Newey, some will be at the Blue Boxer.
 As you say not very practical , but they do have their own character which attracts the novelists.
Certainly wouldn't take one on a forum run.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Classic style cafe 10_x_110

12Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Johncole413

Johncole413
I just picked up a 87 K100lt and I'm thinking I want to go cafe style with it. I already have a bagger, bobber and chopper so cafe is next

13Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:59 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Johncole413 wrote:I just picked up a 87 K100lt and I'm thinking I want to go cafe style with it. I already have a bagger, bobber and chopper so cafe is next
Where will the espresso machine fit?

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Classic style cafe K-dogs10

14Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:13 pm

Johncole413

Johncole413
Maybe in place of the giant battery

15Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Blunderbust

Blunderbust
smithy wrote:I'm not a huge fan of those cutting up good Ks for café style bikes, and yes a lot mostly look the same!
 I'm sure that most customizers use Larry's machines as a milestone that they aspire to. But the reality is that most people buy a K bike because it's a cheap entry level for the backyard customizer, that hardly have the funds and expertise that is needed for a build of that calibre. Most will build a custom bike that they will be happy to ride, and if that gives them pleasure well that's great. Not everyone is going to be able to build or have the best custom. Just as long as someone gets pleasure or therapy from the build, then well done.
Your comments are bang on. Classic style cafe 112350

16Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:50 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Iv'e seen quite a few Kafe's being built but I am yet to see one on the road. And if they ever do see the road how long are they ridden. I believe a lot of builders succumb to initial enthusiasm which then dwindles over time. I wonder how many half built customs end up in sheds gathering dust, or being passed from one owner to another never to be finished. While not a fan of cutting up good K's I would like to see them at least being finished and ridden.
Regards Martin.

17Back to top Go down   Classic style cafe Empty Re: Classic style cafe Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:31 pm

Blunderbust

Blunderbust
MartinW wrote:Iv'e seen quite a few Kafe's being built but I am yet to see one on the road. And if they ever do see the road how long are they ridden. I believe a lot of builders succumb to initial enthusiasm which then dwindles over time. I wonder how many half built customs end up in sheds gathering dust, or being passed from one owner to another never to be finished. While not a fan of cutting up good K's I would like to see them at least being finished and ridden.
Regards Martin.
This is where I come in on mine, a friend started the cutting and planning as he wanted to do but has got other projects on the go. He has lost interest so now it is passed on to my hands. Cant complain as the engine is a good runner as I did see it before it was hacked. My mission now is to try and work out what I am going to do with it. I have set myself a finish time around the end of may next year.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum