BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Dolly/towing K100 Empty Dolly/towing K100 Mon May 18, 2015 8:23 pm

Flip2

Flip2
Silver member
Silver member
Hi riders, does anyone know if it is safe to tow a K100 rs with the front wheel elevated and the rear wheel on the road turning, in neutral of course, for 4 days say of towing?

2Back to top Go down   Dolly/towing K100 Empty Re: Dolly/towing K100 Mon May 18, 2015 8:46 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I towed a bike like that quite a few times and without any problems. However a friend also did it and on one trip hit a small kangaroo which went under the car and struck the bike resulting in the gear lever being pushed either up or down (not sure which) and the chaos in the gearbox was extreme. He still towed for many more trips but removed the chain which on a K is not possible.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Dolly/towing K100 Empty Re: Dolly/towing K100 Mon May 18, 2015 10:01 pm

KafeRacer

KafeRacer
Silver member
Silver member
RicK G wrote:I towed a bike like that quite a few times and without any problems. However a friend also did it and on one trip hit a small kangaroo which went under the car and struck the bike resulting in the gear lever being pushed either up or down (not sure which) and the chaos in the gearbox was extreme. He still towed for many more trips but removed the chain which on a K is not possible.

That sounds like a pretty rare scenario, but it is very easy to remove the lever and then it is almost impossible to happen.

1990 K75RT
1985 K100 Kafe Racer
http://kaferacer.wordpress.com

4Back to top Go down   Dolly/towing K100 Empty Re: Dolly/towing K100 Mon May 18, 2015 10:19 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I certainly wouldn't expect it to happen again.
One thing we had to do here was make the lights on the bike work with the towing car. I had a harness made and plug points inserted so I could do it easily.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Dolly/towing K100 Empty Re: Dolly/towing K100 Tue May 19, 2015 6:08 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Flip2 , Is this the type of dolly you had in mind?
Dolly/towing K100 Motorc10

not sure I would try dollying a bike behind even if it were legal. Here in Oz we tend to be straddling potholes quite a lot, which means the bike wheel would be riding in the rutts, not the best way to treat your K, possibly ruin a rim or shockie. there are many different options in trailers both operating and budget . If you consider the possible harm to your bike as opposed to the cost of trailer and rego , the trailer may be the better option . It also gives you the added advantage of carrying extra luggage.
Any thoughts as to whether the headstock would hold up to the dolly effect?

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Dolly/towing K100 10_x_110

6Back to top Go down   Dolly/towing K100 Empty Re: Dolly/towing K100 Tue May 19, 2015 10:30 am

Flip2

Flip2
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the answers mates. Yes the picture is what I have in mind. I was mainly asking to see if the transmission or engine would be harmed as I've read some bikes can't be transported this way because of those concerns  , so I really don't know about the headstock?    I think the roads are good enough that I wouldn't be too concerned about ruining a rim or shock, all though that would really suck. Taking off the gear lever does sound like good idea if I end up towing it this way.  Wow, I love the forum always good info to think about.  Cheers.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum