BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cutting out Empty Cutting out Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:11 pm

badgerdid

badgerdid
Silver member
Silver member
The bikes starting to run ok now just a few things to sort, but i had a strange problem today.
I filled the bike up ready for a run out today with a m8 and everything was ok.

I had to pick my lad up after so went on the bike and on the way back it started cutting out, it was as if it was running out of fuel, i had done 100 miles at this point, so limped to a petrol station and filled her up again, but only took 13.66 litres. as its a 21 litre tank i believe, it should not of really been running out.

But after i filled her up again it ran fine. i looked in the tank before i filled her up and i could see petrol just above the bottom of the tank so not actually empty.

Im not sure if it was petrol or maybe overheating thats why im asking about the temp gauge in another post?

Anyone have any ideas, why would this happen if the level of the fuel is getting low.

2Back to top Go down   Cutting out Empty Re: Cutting out Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
How old is your gas filter?

Here is another one for you....

Hall sensors are known to fail when hot. Here is my theory:
The bike gets hot, and craps out and dies. You stop trying to find the problem and during this time the Hall sensors cool down. The bike starts again.
Does that makes sense?

Open the cover to access the Hall sensors and start the bike. Armed with a hair dryer start to warm up the sensors to see if they fail when hot.

Installing a temperature gauge on the oil drain is not a good idea as it will be at the mercy of stones and gravel.

Bert

3Back to top Go down   Cutting out Empty Re: Cutting out Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:13 pm

badgerdid

badgerdid
Silver member
Silver member
Will try that,

i dont mean a gauge on the oil drain plug, i mean the water drain plug thingy.

4Back to top Go down   Cutting out Empty Re: Cutting out Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:42 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
As for overheating it is more likely the tank or fuel is getting hot especially on the RT and you will find the front fuel pipe sits very close to the top radiator hose.
So bit of a diminishing returns situation. As the fuel gets lower there is less volume to keep it cool and as it also used to cool the fuel pump everything conspires against us.
So insulating tank and lines and as suggested previously checking the hall sensor is a very good place to start.

Regards,

Phil

5Back to top Go down   Cutting out Empty Re: Cutting out Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:26 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Yesterday, I just added on the download page a document about installing a water temperature gauge. It requires a BMW sensor but it may help you .
sorry it's in German and I didn't have time to translate it.
Have a look here

6Back to top Go down   Cutting out Empty Re: Cutting out Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:40 pm

badgerdid

badgerdid
Silver member
Silver member
When doing the air intakes today the fan came on and off a few times and after a while the engine would cut out again, so you could be right crazyfrog.

I suppose when im using it normally it doesnt get that hot as the wind caused by riding cools it down.

Another question, is it best to remove the two inner tank infills under the fairing, theres one each side, would it help remove any heat from under the tank area, i presume there there to help reduce engine noise when riding.

7Back to top Go down   Cutting out Empty Re: Cutting out Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:17 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Those infills if I am correct in thinking the funny shaped rubber things are to stop some of the hot air from cooking your legs.
Regards,
K-BIKE

8Back to top Go down   Cutting out Empty Re: Cutting out Mon May 17, 2010 11:47 pm

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Just as another possible cause.... I was having a similar problem, seeming it was running out of fuel etc, and starting to idle erratically once hot. I found that some of the injection hoses were a little cracked, and when it got hot the cracks would expand, letting un metered air into the system. I got the parts replaced and throttle vacuums rechecked and all was fixed. And a lot easier than replacing a hall sensor. just a thought.
cheers.
Andyb

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum