BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New K100 RS 16v Owner Empty New K100 RS 16v Owner Sun May 31, 2015 6:45 pm

marknico

marknico
Hi all Very Happy
Mark from Shropshire Uk just become an owner of a 1990 k100 rs 16v the abs model
Need abit of advice as my front discs rattle and have a lot of freeplay in them can I tighten or replace the bobbins with bolts ?
Hope someone can advise me on the above and is it safe to ride as is ?
Cheers

2Back to top Go down   New K100 RS 16v Owner Empty Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner Sun May 31, 2015 7:37 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Motorworks or Motobins have non OEM bobbin sets.
Axial play is OK, but not radial.

3Back to top Go down   New K100 RS 16v Owner Empty Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:15 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome aboard mark

good advice from inge ...yet again

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   New K100 RS 16v Owner Empty Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:22 am

marknico

marknico
Inge K. wrote:Motorworks or Motobins have non OEM bobbin sets.

Many thanks is there no way of tightening the bobbins by using a thicker washer for example as bobbin kits are £40 aside which atm I aint got as just lost my job so looking to save cash where possible cheers

5Back to top Go down   New K100 RS 16v Owner Empty Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:51 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Mark welcome to our strange corner. You don't need to be strange to own a K but it helps.
I would be very wary about riding it when the bobbins are in that sort of condition.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   New K100 RS 16v Owner Empty Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:44 am

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
marknico wrote:

Many thanks is there no way of tightening the bobbins by using a thicker washer for example as bobbin kits are £40 aside which atm I aint got as just lost my job so looking to save cash where possible cheers
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum.
I had some play on an R100R front discs,not too much but more that I wanted. I ran a spot of thread lock into the bobbin,disc and carrier,then left it for a couple of days. Wipe off any excess it you've applied too much.
Results? It reduced the play and still works as it should-for now.

It's worth a try.

Mike.

7Back to top Go down   New K100 RS 16v Owner Empty Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:33 am

marknico

marknico
Motorbike Mike wrote:
marknico wrote:

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum.
I had some play on an R100R front discs,not too much but more that I wanted. I ran a spot of thread lock into the bobbin,disc and carrier,then left it for a couple of days. Wipe off any excess it you've applied too much.

It's worth a try.

Mike.

Thanks Mike tbh I was thinking of bolting disc to carrier as not bothered about discs floating don`t know if it can be done ? Just the price for parts is silly 12 bobbins £40 should be about 40p each they rob you blind also need a left mirror glass can`t seem to find a cheap replacement :0(

8Back to top Go down   New K100 RS 16v Owner Empty Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:40 am

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
marknico wrote:
Motorbike Mike wrote:
marknico wrote:

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum.

It's worth a try.

Mike.

Thanks Mike tbh I was thinking of bolting disc to carrier as not bothered about discs floating don`t know if it can be done ? Just the price for parts is silly 12 bobbins £40 should be about 40p each they rob you blind also need a left mirror glass can`t seem to find a cheap replacement :0(
Try my suggestion first. It's virtually no cost and if it's bolted solid,the disc will more than likely warp with the heat. You could nby half the bobbins and replace just every other one.
It's your choice,good luck with the fix.

9Back to top Go down   New K100 RS 16v Owner Empty Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 am

marknico

marknico
Motorbike Mike wrote:
marknico wrote:
Motorbike Mike wrote:
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum.

It's worth a try.

Mike.

Try my suggestion first. It's virtually no cost and if it's bolted solid,the disc will more than likely warp with the heat. You could nby half the bobbins and replace just every other one.
It's your choice,good luck with the fix.

I think mine have alittle too much play for the thread lock fix as the right one rattles but thanks for the suggestion Mike Very Happy

10Back to top Go down   New K100 RS 16v Owner Empty Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:52 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I used the stainless bobbins from Motobins. They were a little bit cheaper and worked well.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum