BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:23 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Anyone seen one of these Paul Ronney K75GS's in the flesh? 

Im specifically interested in his rear suspension mod as shown here. He often (as here) welds new mounts on the swing arm, and for his k75's he re does the rear sections of the frame.....

Question is:
DO you reckon you would nee to mod the gear box to get this kind of travel? The Clutch arm would be an issue too...?

Rooney Tuned K75GS K75gsprrear

Rooney Tuned K75GS K75loaded

Rooney Tuned K75GS 16kseries

For those interested, check out THIS PAGE for some of Paul beauties. In particular....check out his space age frame for airhead GS's in the Workbench section

Last edited by floyd on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:39 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Funny how I saw these pics a million times when I was dreaming about starting a bike resto/build waay back and never noticed this rear end mod before....

Didnt know what I was looking at/for though....

Hmmmmm the mind is certainly active - contemplating The Beast mkII

3Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:15 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Have to do some serious mods to get that angle on the swinging arm. I have given mine a bit but nothing like that

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:39 am

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
This one seems less extreme (still speaking of rear end here)...but still a bit of work

Rooney Tuned K75GS 20140316_1114171

5Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:02 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That shockie is laying forward a bit more than mine and mine is a paralever rear end. It was as far as I could go without losing the ability to go back to standard set up.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:18 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
floyd wrote:Anyone seen one of these Paul Ronney K75GS's in the flesh? 

Im specifically interested in his rear suspension mod as shown here. He often (as here) welds new mounts on the swing arm, and for his k75's he re does the rear sections of the frame.....

Question is:
DO you reckon you would nee to mod the gear box to get this kind of travel? The Clutch arm would be an issue too...?

Rooney Tuned K75GS K75gsprrear

Rooney Tuned K75GS K75loaded

Rooney Tuned K75GS 16kseries

For those interested, check out THIS PAGE for some of Paul beauties. In particular....check out his space age frame for airhead GS's in the Workbench section
I have seen one in the flesh, but I really didn't look in that much detail to comment on the rear end.  To my knowledge the Rooney ones all have the shock mount shifted to the swingarm.

At one stage I did posses a Rooney-tune modified R80G/S.  Husky USD front end, extended swingarm, stiffened frame, WP shock at the rear, PD tank, 900cc motor, twin-plugged.  It rode and handled beautifully.  In a fit of stupidity I sold it.
Rooney Tuned K75GS R80GS

Al

Last edited by AL-58 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Rooney Tuned K75GS K-dogs10

7Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I spotted one of these fine creations, in blue, trolling north through Uralla last Spring. I was on me way down to Victoria from Queensland to see my mum and had stopped at a café for a cuppa, my red RS at the roadside. The rider was with a coupla other Japanese bikes and his stood way out with the three pot motor and long-travel forks. He had a smile on his face but I wasn't close enough to see what sort of rear shockie was assisting him in his pleasure.

8Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:38 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Take a look at some of the close ups of the sKrambler. They seem to have used some kind of mounting plates fixed to the swing arm rather than welded.
Extensive frame mods as well, by the look of it.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

9Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:40 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Comberjohn wrote:Take a look at some of the close ups of the sKrambler. They seem to have used some kind of mounting plates fixed to the swing arm rather than welded.
Extensive frame mods as well, by the look of it.

got a link?

EDIT: Found it http://www.unitgarage.com/skrambler

10Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:00 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Rooney Tuned K75GS Screen10

Rooney Tuned K75GS Shock-10

This is a gorgeous bit of kit. Really really like it alot. It looks very natural...where as the Rooney K's look unfinished or something (but with a Rooney bike, that is largely beside the point.)

The high exhaust looks fantastic....and I know its a mod alot of GS builds do...but I must say our ugly old stainless exhausts can take an all mighty beating.....I dont mind a few dings and dents in it....and the bike can be dropped onto it without damage (ask me know I know)....so the hassle involved with relocating it, as well as its impact on luggage carrying etc means its not a mod Ill consider any time soon at all.

11Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:40 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
The exhaust is really nice but when you consider that the frame has to be modded to run the pipe where the coils where, it's not for the faint hearted.
I was thinking more of cutting the original and welding a slightly upturned pipe on and using an original GS silencer mounted at an angle similar to a GS.
There's plenty on eBay for not much money and I think it could work well. Well made, not too loud and cheap!
Been trying to work out if the GS seat would fit, too.
Having a GS makes measuring and trying out bits easier.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

12Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:43 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Comberjohn wrote:Having a GS makes measuring and trying out bits easier.

See how the tank sits on the K frame while youre at it Wink

13Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:43 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
These Paul Rooney underslung exhaust units are pretty sweet. Made for airheads. They look like they prevent the use of a centrestand though....

Rooney Tuned K75GS Collectermuffler

14Back to top Go down   Rooney Tuned K75GS Empty Re: Rooney Tuned K75GS Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:37 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
If anyone is interested.....Please see THIS PAGE of my forum build page. 
Its outlines a fairly easy way to lengthen the monolever swingarm and RAM shock to get extra travel and ground clearance.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum