BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boristhebike

boristhebike
VIP
VIP
Stupid question maybe, but I am thinking of ditching the ABS on the rear wheel of my '87 RT. Never been happy with it really, its just there so I live with it. I Will keep the front ABS system as that seems to have real value for safer riding, but on the rear, never worried me. My older RT, sans ABS, never gave me any problems. Just use the pedal with care. I don't think its 'luck' after 5 years riding her in all UK weather,wet, so I feel reasonably sure about the choice. Keep it Simple Stupid or KISS seems apt here
Is it possible? Any advice on bits to remove, pipe work, ELECTRICS? help would be most welcome.
Its just a thought! bounce

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
My advice would be don't remove it, braking at maximum retardation needs a mix of both brakes and there is no doubt in my mind that the ABS can outperform a human in wet weather stops, especially with drain covers etc. in the road. See http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html
Regards,
K-BIKE

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Boris,
If you want to remove the ABS then remove the complete issue (150lbs) and make it standard. Do Not remove just one.
Have you tried resetting it?

Resetting ABS1

• Locate the diagnostic
    connector on the right frame rail, under the seat. Remove it from the
    blanking plug.
  • Insert one end of 20 cm
    wire into the middle socket of this connector.
  • Ground the other end firmly
    to a metal bolt in the area (and keep grounded).
  • Hold the ABS button down as
    you turn the ignition on. You should see the lights flash together as
    normal.
  • Keep holding the ABS button
    down for about 8 seconds. The ABS light will stay on solid.
  • Release the ABS button.
  • Turn off ignition, remove
    wire.
  • Ajays

AJAYS

boristhebike

boristhebike
VIP
VIP
Thanks for the sound words, K-bike and Ajays.
150lbs? Is that really what you mean Ajays? Is that weight, ( I think not! its more than me! ) pulling up power, leverage? No idea.
So it might need resetting electronically? I had never dreamed of such a thing. Still living in the 60's where there was a lever and a cable. What indications are to be seen that it needs resetting? Advice welcome.
By the way, why remove both. Why not leave the front? Its that dagerous front wheel skid that always worries me. Are they connected electronically?
(Ajays, I'm still interested in the disk and rear shock. Very busy at the moment. 1 Sailing boat, 1 dutch barge conversion in progress and work seem to fill all available hours, oh and and tyres. Still there?)
Cheers
BTB.

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
BTB,
it will be about 20 kilos lighter!....40/50lbs...how did that 1 get in there.....!
Ajays

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
I have always agreed there is never such a thing as a stupid question and while I don't doubt the merits of ABS I would be more than a little cautious of 23 year old ABS.

With all the other problems these bikes have due to age the worst that will happen is they won't start or break down somewhere. The last thing you want is for it NOT to stop due to an aged brake component.

I have ridden bikes on and off for over thirty years and my last car had 270,000 k's and never needed the ABS so perhaps it is just good luck than good management but if it was me and possible I would ditch it as it would be one less thing to worry about.

Regards,

Phil

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
There you are Ajays, I've missed our little reminiscences. ABS removal from the back wheel brake Icon_cool

OK here it is - I removed the complete system from my K1100RS and packed and shipped it off to Sweden - the weight according to UPS was 18.8 kgs. Allow maybe .3 for the packing = 18.5 kgms.

As to keep it or not - my vote is to ditch it [ Sorry K Bike] I managed for almost 60 years using the ABS in my head without skidding or coming to grief. AND that was in the days of not so sticky tyres. ABS removal from the back wheel brake Icon_wink

No longer an issue anyway as I ONLY ride my bike in fine / dry weather.

I ride for pleasure only now, and riding in rain is NOT pleasure. ABS removal from the back wheel brake Icon_evil

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Beachy, hope you and yours are well.
I have just spent hours getting the ABS up and running, all I had was flashing lights and warnings.
It has heated grips (not working) that I and the previous owner didn't know about. I do now thanks to Renez and K-bike posts.
All running OK.
So 1 K75s with and 1 K75s without.
With the ABS for "show" I enjoy informing people that these bikes were the first to use it. And injection.
Crazy Frog posted a comparison test with and without ABS. I was impressed but to be honest for us it is really a gimmick.
Take care "old man" and look after that pretty wife of yours.
Ajays

AJAYS

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
The problem with the real world of bike riding is we don't get to pick the conditions we come across. It can start to rain when we are out on a hitherto beautifully dry day, someone may have spilled oil or diesel on the road, even in the dry coming across dust or mud on the road after trucks have driven out of a building site, cow dung on the road in the country, all can present themselves on the perfect dry day out.

Add to that as we age our riding ability and reaction speed gets worse especially on the wrong side of 60. ABS failure means you are back to non assisted brakes not no brakes. ABS working means you are going to have the best shot at stopping without incident, the fact one has ridden for years without it does not mean it is of no value. Lot's of people rode in cars without seatbelts and on bikes without helmets or gloves etc. That does not mean in the event of the unexpected they will not be useful.

One last point in the case of an accident and a claim by either party unless you have notified your insurer that you have removed or disabled the ABS and they have accepted that you may find you have presented them with a get out of jail (get out of paying out) free card if they discover it post accident.
Regards,
K-BIKE

boristhebike

boristhebike
VIP
VIP
All very interesting stuff. Great debate to have I think. No rights or wrongs here I feel. All comments valid and welcome.
Thanks for the weight in figures. 45/50 pounds. Thats a lot of gear to be hauling around for years, burning hydrocarbons and slowing the whole show down. Dear K Bike, if my crash helmet was as heavy it would be redesigned asasp! Very good point about the legal eagles in the insurance scam trade though. Noted and will be considered with care.
As for the ABS, to fix or to ditch, still unsure, I still like the option of keeping the front brake ABS. Thats the wheel that I have worries about. I was nattering to an ex motorcycle copper the other day (K's do pull the punters!) who rode K100RT for years in the Force. He hit a DRY cowpat, which skidded like a tea tray, when coming over a humpback bridge and he was off and down the road on his bum. Now if that cowpat had been FRESH there would have been no problem. A bum steer!
Process if removal? What things to think about if I go down that route.
Cheers
BTB

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
BTB,

What I did with the ABS electrics was that I followed the ABS electrics drawing in the Haynes Manual, took out one wire at a time, marking it on the diagram with a yellow felt pen as I got along. Every wire fitted the diagram. When every line was yellow the job was done! I think it is a good organized method dealing with this, although a little time consuming.

I assume you will retain the same discs (rotors) and you need to route the hydraulic piping.
Ajays.
PS, Have you got any time to do this?....!!

AJAYS

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
ABS removal from the back wheel brake Icon_cool

Hi Folks,

I have been reading this Topic with interest, as I am new to BMW's and also to ABS [ex Guzzi man with linked brakes] I have decided to give my recently aquired K100 LT a good service including from my previous topic of greasing splines. Well I was going to remove the rear Brakes while I was there to overhaul the system so just remove rear caliper NO chance, Am I being gormless or do you have to remove the rear wheel as no matter what I tried I could not free the rim, now if only the rim was one inch wider so the same idea came to me about junking the ABS system.
Now I gather from reading the above posts that it is possible and I take it there would be no MOT issues, only contemplating at the moment I am still working out whether I am the idiot not being able to remove the rear caliper or it is a stupid design not allowing room by using a bigger wheel.

BIG D

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Big D,
Check with your insurance co since if you invalidate your insurance in the UK by modifying a vital component like the braking it is as I said above a golden opportunity for the insurance company to deny your claim on the basis of failure to supply a material fact.

With regard to how to service the brakes and how to do any service please start with the manual, there is a copy in the download section (we try not to post the link to frustrate the web bots that cruise this and other sites). That will help you a lot.
Regards,
K-BIKE

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
ABS removal from the back wheel brake Icon_cool

Thanks K,

Valid advice.

BIG D

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]