BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


lumpus

avatar
New member
New member
Hi together!

I'm a little frustrated. I read insome forums that it is no problem to adapt a K1100 wheel to the K100. (ok, perhaps with an adapter..)
Now I got one with number 2 331 357 ....
First Problem is, the casted bolts for the brake disc. Ok, I cancut it off....
But there is also big difference in the offset of ~+17.5mm. Which means that I have to mill off 17.5mm on a lathe to get the original tracking line / alignment.

Has the K1200 the same offset?

Do I have the wrong wheel?

Thanks.

    

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP
yes there is a big difference between rear wheels fitted to paralever type rear driveson k1100 and further to k1200 ...and the old bevel box fitted to k100

there is a thing that some know about... to do with "a" and "b" designed rims ...to do with the offset ...
I cant explain better ...but with the big offset on the later rims it does appear to work ok .....it doesnt make sense but it does work
others may chime in with some advice

good luck


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
I am in the process of doing just that except with a paralever rear end but I am sure there will not be enough meat to take that much off, it will leave very little metal for strength. The paralever sits quite a bit more to the right so will work. Also if you take that much from the wheel boss it will hit the swingarm.
The A & B that Charlie talks of is for the 3 spoke K1100 and K75s wheels so is of no concern.


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

Mikewills

avatar
New member
New member
I have recently bought this k1200 wheel after instruction that it'll fit my 1987 model without modifying it. Hoping this is correct as the bike isn't at my home so not sure when I'll get to try it on.



Last edited by Mikewills on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

    

lumpus

avatar
New member
New member
@RicK G wrote:I am in the process of doing just that except with a paralever rear end but I am sure there will not be enough meat to take that much off, it will leave very little metal for strength. The paralever sits quite a bit more to the right so will work. Also if you take that much from the wheel boss it will hit the swingarm.
The A & B that Charlie talks of is for the 3 spoke K1100 and K75s wheels so is of no concern.

"Also if you take that much from the wheel boss it will hit the swingarm."

... this could be the next problem!

    

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
@Mikewills wrote:I have recently bought this k1200 wheel after instruction that it'll fit my 1987 model without modifying it. Hoping this is correct as the bike isn't at my home so not sure when I'll get to try it on.
What width is the rim?


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

jbt

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
K1100LT rim (3 width, 17 inch diameter) will fit K100 with no modification, as they were available as a "sport" option on K75.
K100RS1, K1100RS, K1 rim (4.5 width, 18 inch) will fit with spacer but there may be a light disalignment with the front and may not cope with the monolever swinging arm. BMW allows this light offset.
Others won't fit because of the huge offset with the fron't wheel.
Note that the larger is the rear wheel, the worst is the handling...
I had tested all the configurations on my K1100LT, the best is the original one with a thin tyre and a 3 inch rim.

On any bike with a double swinging arm, you can fit an larger wheel if you have room enough. On a K , there's few room, and extra width should make you modify the position of the engine, gearbox and transmission in the frame to keep the wheels in line.

    

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
I think you may want to switch to a 4V center stand but don't have first hand experience so just throwing this out as something to consider.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

Mikewills

avatar
New member
New member
@RicK G wrote:
@Mikewills wrote:I have recently bought this k1200 wheel after instruction that it'll fit my 1987 model without modifying it. Hoping this is correct as the bike isn't at my home so not sure when I'll get to try it on.
What width is the rim?
It's a 5".
There's a few places on the internet that supports what I've been told that it'll fit. I'll just have to try it I suppose

    

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
@jbt wrote:K1100LT rim (3 width, 17 inch diameter) will fit K100 with no modification, as they were available as a "sport" option on K75.
K100RS1, K1100RS, K1 rim (4.5 width, 18 inch) will fit with spacer but there may be a light disalignment with the front and may not cope with the monolever swinging arm. BMW allows this light offset.
Others won't fit because of the huge offset with the fron't wheel.
Note that the larger is the rear wheel, the worst is the handling...
I had tested all the configurations on my K1100LT, the best is the original one with a thin tyre and a 3 inch rim.

On any bike with a double swinging arm, you can fit an larger wheel if you have room enough. On a K , there's few room, and extra width should make you modify the position of the engine, gearbox and transmission in the frame to keep the wheels in line.
K1100 and K75 3 spoke are not the same offset K1100 has Type A stamped in the reverse side of one of the spokes and K75 had type B stamped there. The offset is 14mm different.


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
@Mikewills wrote:
@RicK G wrote:
@Mikewills wrote:I have recently bought this k1200 wheel after instruction that it'll fit my 1987 model without modifying it. Hoping this is correct as the bike isn't at my home so not sure when I'll get to try it on.
What width is the rim?
It's a 5".
There's a few places on the internet that supports what I've been told that it'll fit. I'll just have to try it I suppose
It might bolt up OK but will be offset by around 20mm to the left. Depending on what tyre you use will depend on it interfering the swingarm.


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

JR_K100RS

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Lumpus , take a look at this thread

http://www.k100-forum.com/t2713-wider-wheels-radial-tyres-on-a-k100

John Re

Melbourne Australia


__________________________________________________
Diamond Grey ( 617 ) 1987 K100RS ( European Delivery ) Original owner
    

Two Wheels Better

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
That thread has brought back some memories, JR. The red RS still wears that tyre size combo tho' now she's got Michelin Pilot Road III out back and an older PR2 up the front. I like them for their straight-line stability with relatively good turn-in, not as quick steering as the Conti Road Attacks, but not as planted as the Pirelli Angel tyres I first used. One day I'll whack the K100RS-16V Marzocchi forks, 17" front wheel and 305mm discs, K11 gearbox and Paralever I've got saved onto it and call it updated. The offset relationship between a Monolever and the K1100RS 4.5" wheel is minimal, but you best use a K11 centra stand and grind some of the left foot away as mentioned in the link.

Side note, my (K100 with K1200RS motor) Big Block Paralever uses a 5" K1200RS wheel (170/60ZR17 tyre, not a 180/55) and it sits centred with plenty of space between the tyre/rim and swingarm.

Next ride, October when I return home.


__________________________________________________
1987 K100RS, Big Block '93 K11/K12 hybrid, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '04 R1150RT, '95 R100 Mystic, '77 R75/7.
Have we accomplished half of what we dreamt we would? There may still be time.
    

robmack

avatar
Life time member
Life time member


__________________________________________________
Robert
1987 K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/
    

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
@Two Wheels Better wrote:That thread has brought back some memories, JR. The red RS still wears that tyre size combo tho' now she's got Michelin Pilot Road III out back and an older PR2 up the front. I like them for their straight-line stability with relatively good turn-in, not as quick steering as the Conti Road Attacks, but not as planted as the Pirelli Angel tyres I first used. One day I'll whack the K100RS-16V Marzocchi forks, 17" front wheel and 305mm discs, K11 gearbox and Paralever I've got saved onto it and call it updated. The offset relationship between a Monolever and the K1100RS 4.5" wheel is minimal, but you best use a K11 centra stand and grind some of the left foot away as mentioned in the link.

Side note, my (K100 with K1200RS motor) Big Block Paralever uses a 5" K1200RS wheel (170/60ZR17 tyre, not a 180/55) and it sits centred with plenty of space between the tyre/rim and swingarm.

Next ride, October when I return home.
Ah Ha so the K1200RS rear wheel sits dead centre, good to know. Did you use the spacer?


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

Two Wheels Better

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
No spacer required.


__________________________________________________
1987 K100RS, Big Block '93 K11/K12 hybrid, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '04 R1150RT, '95 R100 Mystic, '77 R75/7.
Have we accomplished half of what we dreamt we would? There may still be time.
    

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
Hmmmm That makes me a very happy little Vegemite


__________________________________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." from Mencken's 1919 Prejudices

Bikes 1993 K1100 LT, 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 for now
    

Two Wheels Better

avatar
Moderator
Moderator

Paralever and 5" wide wheel with 170/60ZR17 tyre.


__________________________________________________
1987 K100RS, Big Block '93 K11/K12 hybrid, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '04 R1150RT, '95 R100 Mystic, '77 R75/7.
Have we accomplished half of what we dreamt we would? There may still be time.
    

Motorbike Mike

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@lumpus wrote:Hi together!

I'm a little frustrated. I read insome forums that it is no problem to adapt a K1100 wheel to the K100. (ok, perhaps with an adapter..)
Now I got one with number 2 331 357 ....
First Problem is, the casted bolts for the brake disc. Ok, I cancut it off....
But there is also big difference in the offset of ~+17.5mm. Which means that I have to mill off 17.5mm on a lathe to get the original tracking line / alignment.

Has the K1200 the same offset?

Do I have the wrong wheel?

Thanks.
If I've read this correctly you are using a wheel from an R series Oilhead model. They had the same pattern wheels but the disc was bolted to the wheel-hence the disc mounting spigots on the casting.
I've got a 5.5" x 17 wheel in my K with a 180 section tyre using a Mono rear end.
I'm positive that all the rear wheels should run with the steel shim/spacer. It's there to stop the wheel and FD fretting.



    

jbt

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Very nice rim, I've never seen such one on a K. Who makes it?

    

Motorbike Mike

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@jbt wrote:Very nice rim, I've never seen such one on a K. Who makes it?
They were made by Astralite but sadly they've just closed up.

    

jbt

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks,
I've been searching for a long time for a rim in 4.00 width for K.
With a friend, we're building a race K100, for endurance races, but the rules forbid a rim wider than 4.00, so the 4.50 genuine one is too large.
Very difficult to find...
PVM made wheels with bolted on parts, so making possible to swap the rim itself on the hub, but they're also very, very rare.

    

23Back to top Go down    just started the project .. on Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:31 am

lumpus

avatar
New member
New member
Thanks a lot to all.
I found a K1200RS ... I try it and post the results ...
[url=https://servimg.com/view/19724992/1]

    

Two Wheels Better

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
@jbt wrote:Thanks,
I've been searching for a long time for a rim in 4.00 width for K.
With a friend, we're building a race K100, for endurance races, but the rules forbid a rim wider than 4.00, so the 4.50 genuine one is too large.
Very difficult to find...
PVM made wheels with bolted on parts, so making possible to swap the rim itself on the hub, but they're also very, very rare.
US-based Kosman racing fabbed up wider rear wheels for Y spoke-equipped K bikes. They're as rare as proverbial rocking horse poo, however.

Kosman Specialties link

Note on Kosman's site:
This process is now being done by Custom Metal Spinnings.Call Walt at 562-696-3602


__________________________________________________
1987 K100RS, Big Block '93 K11/K12 hybrid, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '04 R1150RT, '95 R100 Mystic, '77 R75/7.
Have we accomplished half of what we dreamt we would? There may still be time.
    

Scottybullet

avatar
active member
active member
Looks like with a 170/60/17 rear it'll clear the swingarm I'll post pics as soon as i have a place to hide them. I have the rim bolted up no problem with just enough room if the tire is not wider than 6.5 inches across

    

Laitch

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
@Scottybullet wrote: I'll post pics as soon as i have a place to hide them.
That's a cryptic statement. Smile You could post them as soon as your able by using the icon in the toolbar indicated by the red arrow in the attached image. Just Select them, then Send them, then Insert them. They'll be inserted wherever the cursor is in the Message box.


__________________________________________________
1995 K75T 68,000 miles
    

Two Wheels Better

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
@Scottybullet wrote:Looks like with a 170/60/17 rear it'll clear the swingarm I'll post pics as soon as i have a place to hide them. I have the rim bolted up no problem with just enough room if the tire is not wider than 6.5 inches across
Pop your year/model into the signature area of your profile so if you have a question, or if you make a statement, the rest of us know what it's pertaining to: Monolover, Paralever, etc. Ta.


__________________________________________________
1987 K100RS, Big Block '93 K11/K12 hybrid, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '04 R1150RT, '95 R100 Mystic, '77 R75/7.
Have we accomplished half of what we dreamt we would? There may still be time.
    

Scottybullet

avatar
active member
active member


    

Two Wheels Better

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Be prepared to modify (search heaps of threads about it on this forum) or remove entirely the centre stand to clear the tyre when using a 160/60ZR18 or 170/60ZR17 and corresponding wheels.


__________________________________________________
1987 K100RS, Big Block '93 K11/K12 hybrid, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '04 R1150RT, '95 R100 Mystic, '77 R75/7.
Have we accomplished half of what we dreamt we would? There may still be time.
    

Scottybullet

avatar
active member
active member
Yeah I've lost many hours thus far.... Centre stand is long gone, Kickstand bent to suit. hope to finish mechanical this winter and then start the nightmare of electrical in the spring.

    

31Back to top Go down    170/60-17 tire on 5.5x17 K1200 rim on Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:57 am

Scottybullet

avatar
active member
active member
Perfect with original K11 Oem 1mm spacer. I had a local shop throw on a used tire to check fitment.. not a lot of room for anything but it'll do. Dunlop Roadmaster 3 on order will have fitment results next week


    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum