BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   folio on windscreen Empty folio on windscreen Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:04 pm

jkh

jkh
I have a '92 K75RT with the original electric windscreen. At one occasion i had a piece of tape on the inside of the windscreen. When i pulled of the tape a very thin clear folio came with the tape of.
Since the screen is very scratched i was surprised that the area where the folio came of, was clearer and without scratches - look at photo to se the clear area on the left where the tape (and the folio) was pulled of.
Does anybody know the purpose of this folio?
Does it harm the screen if i remove the folio and thus the scratches on the rest of the inside area of the windscreen?
folio on windscreen Img_2010

2Back to top Go down   folio on windscreen Empty Re: folio on windscreen Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:51 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The foil is there to protect the windscreen from scratches.....
if removed the windscreen would be more easily scratched.

3Back to top Go down   folio on windscreen Empty Re: folio on windscreen Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:51 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
Inge K. wrote:The foil is there to protect the windscreen from scratches.....
if removed the windscreen would be more easily scratched.
Well it never worked then. 
Might as well remove it if it doesn't work.

4Back to top Go down   folio on windscreen Empty Re: folio on windscreen Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
One thing I noticed on my 90 K75RT was that something (I assume a factory coating of some sort) would cause rainbows if I was wearing polarized sunglasses while riding.  Maybe getting rid of that coating would reduce/eliminate that. My solution was not to wear polarized sunglasses though.

I've heard that moderate to light scratching on windscreens can be reduced using toothpaste since some brands contain a mild abrasive.  This probably would remove/damage any factory coating though.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

5Back to top Go down   folio on windscreen Empty Re: folio on windscreen Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:43 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The screen on my K1100LT was getting very bad and I was considering replacing it when I found that the coating was the problem as it had deteriorated  and that I could remove it using my fingernail. Progress was slow when I saw that the place where a sticker had been was free of this coating. I covered the screen in packing tape then peeled it off removing the crumbling coating which left an almost new looking screen that was perfectly clear and easier to clean.
The coating may have prevented scratching when new but it sure got to be a PITA when aging.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   folio on windscreen Empty Re: folio on windscreen Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:06 am

jkh

jkh
I have been reading a bit abount windscreen since I postet my question.
As I understand it the windscreen is made from polycarbonate aka Plexiglas. This material oxidizes and becomes more and more nontransparent. Polycarbonate needs a clear layer of lacquer to prevent oxidation.
It is the same with the "glas" in front of headlights of cars.
There are several lacquer products.

7Back to top Go down   folio on windscreen Empty Re: folio on windscreen Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:42 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
But buying a new windscreen after 27 years of use is not so bad. Hardly worth the effort of trying to polish out the scratches.

8Back to top Go down   folio on windscreen Empty Re: folio on windscreen Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:02 am

KiwiK100

KiwiK100
Gold member
Gold member
duck wrote:One thing I noticed on my 90 K75RT was that something (I assume a factory coating of some sort) would cause rainbows if I was wearing polarized sunglasses while riding.
The same effect is caused by wearing polarised sunnies with the visor down. Definitely not recommended! Does all sorts of funny visual things to the road surface...

1984 K100RS. Madison silver.
2002 K1200RS. Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins, Speiglers, Fiamms, HID. 186,000km SOLD Crying or Very sad
1991 K1. Schwartz metallic black, 18 month frame off restoration. 74,000km SOLD Crying or Very sad
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD Crying or Very sad
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Grandads ride

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum