BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Hot Knees ! LT Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:05 pm

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
Blimey ! despite having knobbly knees i think the temp of my k100 lt knee pads was a little excessive on todays ride; ambient temp was about 18 celcius (UK nice not too hot). the temp gauge was reading half way and fan kicked in when stationary. Its my new rebuild project and having learned new levels of stress over past 3 months the only tech stuff i cannot do may be related to my hot knees but i`m not sure. Waking up thinking about bike issues is not a good thing so I would be grateful for any help old chums.

Its running really well , am very chuffed indeed as my tech skills are at best very limited , but the idle speed is 1200rpm . I do not have the skills or equip to set the ignition timing or synch the air intake valves so am getting the local bike dealer to do this when MOT test due next week. The idle screw position is not affecting the idle speed .

Does anyone else share my hot knees ailment and if so your advice would be most welcome. I would prefer not to have an knee arthroscopy or a steroid injection by the way !!

Best wishes

Jonny QQ

2Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:05 pm

badgerdid

badgerdid
Silver member
Silver member
Yes mines the same, although i only wear jeans on mine and it doesnt seem to get me too hot, or i just have not noticed.
But it does get warm, must be great in the winter though

The idler screw not affecting the idle speed might be because the throttle position switch is too far over, i had the same thing.

With the bike not running undo the two screws on the throttle position switch and turn it slightly anti clockwise, the throttle adjustment should now be down properly, slightly turn the throttle and you should hear it click.

Now start the bike, if it runs too slow adjust the adjuster screw until its running at the speed you want, now re adjust the throttle position switch again, best with engine not running, until you hear it click just as you start to move the throttle.

It should be set now. I hope this makes sense.

3Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:44 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Definitely a cool weather bike and there is quite a bit of info regarding diverting the hot air elsewhere than the tank and the rider.

My next option will be to remove the lower part of the fairing entirely during the warmer months and/or a vent in the lower part of the windscreen.

You can also remove the rubber boots the forks go through and fit some little scoops that direct air up underneath the tank.

Failing that you will just need another bike for Summer, and one for off road, and another for trips to the shop....... and the K for winter touring. Very Happy

4Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:09 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"You can also remove the rubber boots the forks go through and fit some little scoops that direct air up underneath the tank"

I believe BMW made these as a replacement/alternative for the fork boots?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:55 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Renez posted some images I seem to recall and they were a modification although how effective is anybody's guess.

6Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:44 pm

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
thanks a lot . i`v just been out and turned the TPS anti-clock as suggested and have it now idling about 1050-1100 so a def improvement there.
will be interesting to see how the MOT and tuning goes on wednesday.
thanks again

7Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:50 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
BMW - idle = 950 +/- 50 rpm with a warm (!) bike

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Hot Knees !   LT Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

8Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:38 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
My '89 LT has the opening air scoops on either side of the fairing along with long slots in the knee pads. Warm air in the cooler weather with them closed and a bit cooler when open. Shouldn't be hard to find the parts.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

9Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Rob Roy Mcgregor

Silver member
Silver member
If its ideling on the high side then it will run hotter . . if the ignition timeings out it will run hotter too . . whats the spark plugs look like

10Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:00 pm

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
Good tidings, but not got bike back yet. I spoke with Peter from Bideford auto-services and apparantly the rebuild has gone well and it is now timed and tuned and running nicely. This is the good tidings bit ! Peter has recommended i nudge the valve clearances back a little tighter , say 0.02mm .. i initially adjusted 3 valves , 1 x intake from 0.12 - 0.15mm , and 2 x exhaust from 0.22- 0.25mm which has resulted in a really loud clacky noise !!! lucky i kept the old shims.
Reason for rebuild ? mechanical incompetance !! I sheared off an exhaust manifold bolt when wrestling with old holed silencer, this led to cylinder head off etc etc so decided to go whole hog, engine panels satin black and bike colour change from orig bmw beige to metallic artic blue .
Bike back on wednesday so will report on what Peter had to do re idle speed adjustment .
Thanks again for all comments , suggestions and help.
cheers

11Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:26 pm

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
Bike back early with new MOT.
tickover now 950 rpm
how ? By air intake valve synchronisation , took Peter 2 minutes whilst doing MOT.
As for knees we`ll have to wait and see !

12Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:03 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Air intake valve synchronisation? Wow I'd like to know how that is done.
Nice colour choice jonnyqq, that is my bike and looks great. Pulls all the grannies. HA. so sad this ageing thing.
RT.

13Back to top Go down   Hot Knees !   LT Empty Re: Hot Knees ! LT Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:55 pm

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
air intake synch needs what looks like a really really expensive electrical /air bit of clever machinery based on a mercury manometer , it had all the hallmarks of "dont try this at home folks!"
Now its done it should not need doing again so not worth buying new toy to play with i`m sure.
Age,yes your right ! i saw someone looking mesmorised by the bike. He was was well retired ! lucky chap.
Still, retro is good, and perhaps quite fashionable in uk, , bike is now looking young again and very 80`s which is something i`m afraid i cannot boast as now grey and nearly finishing off 4th decade. Sucks eh !

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum