BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

flyinglow

flyinglow
Silver member
Silver member
I removed the mirrors on my 1985 K100RT so I could paint them.  Both work fine, each mirror glass can be adjusted and hold the adjustment,  but both raddle when shaken, like something has come loose inside.   I have only owned the bike for a short time so possibly the mirror glass was replaced and they didn't clean them out well.   What is inside the plastic mirror housing that could come loose and raddle?   Does anyone have a picture of the mirror housing with the glass removed?  To get inside do I need to break the mirror glass?  Thanks.  Jim

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There used to be a rubber gasket sort of thing behind the mounting but they deteriorate with age and fall to bits then the mirror pod rattles. I use O-rings over the head of the bolt the pod clips onto. It is the same 1/2 in O-ring that are used on the garden hose connectors and I buy them at the hardware store in packets of 5 so I need 2 packets of course and then loose 4 of them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Years ago one of my Airhead RS mirror glasses would rattle and vibrate at speed. I couldn't prise the plastic trim apart without marring the surface, or worse, breaking the glass, so I drilled a discreet 5mm hole in the plastic mirror bezel along one edge and inserted a soft, plastic screw in and carefully tightened it until it just made contact with the back of the mirror glass, but not too much tension or you know the result. Voila! No more rattle.

4Back to top Go down   Mirror Rattles Inside housing on K100RT Empty mirror Raddle Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:29 pm

flyinglow

flyinglow
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the replies.  One both of my mirrors the raddle is big, more like a bolt is raddling around inside?   The sound would be like putting a bolt in a plastic container and shaking it.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
plus 1 on installing buffer damper material between the mirror pod and the mount

the capture socket on the pod is an expanding socket and only deforms so far into its depth
as rick says  a washer type thing works well
I have used a section of neoprene with self backing glue on the fairing side trimmed to fit before removing the adhesive backing protector about the right thickness to prevent that distracting rattle

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

DaleRT

DaleRT
Silver member
Silver member
Behind the mirror
Mirror Rattles Inside housing on K100RT Img_2052

Mirror Rattles Inside housing on K100RT Img_2053
These foam things were behind my mirrors but have gone hard so i made some out of foam, may help.

Inside the pod, which you will have to break apart if you want to go there [well, i had too]
Mirror Rattles Inside housing on K100RT Img_2054

Mirror Rattles Inside housing on K100RT Img_2055

7Back to top Go down   Mirror Rattles Inside housing on K100RT Empty mirror Raddle Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:32 am

flyinglow

flyinglow
Silver member
Silver member
Yes, that is probably the situation with my mirror raddle, and thanks for the picture.  Any recommendations on taking it apart?  Are the two haves just glued together so you carefully pry it apart?

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Be aware that the photos are of an RS mirror which is a totally different animal from your RT mirrors.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If you twist the plastic pod it will often come apart.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

10Back to top Go down   Mirror Rattles Inside housing on K100RT Empty RT Mirrors Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:36 am

norton71

norton71
Silver member
Silver member
To remove mine i sprayed WD40 in behind the mirror to hit the center of the mirror mount .... and then used a tool ..Ford door trim removal tool  which is basically a thin slotted tool which will fit into the back of the mirror(available at auto stores to remove door trim panel plugs) .. then put light continuous pressure on the tool and the mirror lens will just popout..guy who painted the bike was amazed as he had previously broken every mirror he tried to remove for painting

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum