BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Centre stand replacement Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Hi All,

I posted this a few weeks back asking if it was a suitable replacement.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-k100rs-stand-assembly/332594543777?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649

By the time I got back on to Ebay it had finished, but as luck would have it, it's back.

So, I've started bidding as I need a centre stand, just wanted to ask the collective wisdom if there is anything I should do to try and increase the life span? It's used but doesn't look like it's falling apart. Thinking about strengthening it in some way but not sure if that's necessary.

Any advice, as always, greatly received.

Dave

2Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:24 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
strengthening not necessary dave

a good choice to fit , just check the pivot bushes before fitting up , some even had a grease nipple , and or a place to install them
foot lift is longer than the k100 early versions as well

good luck

if I had the funds at the moment I would be bidding as well  ...giggle ...but hope you win

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:16 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Buy the damn thing.  You will be glad you did.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

4Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Buy the damn thing.  You will be glad you did.

I am, I am, there's no buy it now so having to wait until the end of the auction, but I'm the only bidder at the moment! I just need a bit of patience...  bounce

5Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Davep wrote:
I just need a bit of patience...  bounce
That is one gnarly piece of oxidized industrial art missing springs, safety switch (optional) and paint. It might need a few other items. Charlie could make it shine though but if I were on the hunt, I'd keep hunting. That's only because I like being out of the shop and on the bike. There's a nice one beneath it for only 16x your bid. Laughing

6Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:06 am

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Laitch wrote:
Davep wrote:
I just need a bit of patience...  bounce
That is one gnarly piece of oxidized industrial art missing springs, safety switch (optional) and paint. It might need a few other items. Charlie could make it shine though but if I were on the hunt, I'd keep hunting. That's only because I like being out of the shop and on the bike. There's a nice one beneath it for only 16x your bid. Laughing

Laitch, It was one of the legs that snapped off my old one from about half way up, I therefore have all the fixings and fittings including springs, bushes etc. Might just give it a good clean up and a quick spray with a rattle can, don't want to eat in to my petrol money!!  Very Happy

Bit I will keep looking at others and have a look at the one you mentioned, thanks for the heads up!

Dave

7Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:01 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
To stop the stand from rusting out you need to remove the bungs fill with LPS 3 or Fisholene. Leave it soak for a few hours then empty. To be extra sure after it dries repeat. You can reuse the used liquid to redo the stand every couple of years.
Regards Martin.

8Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:42 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
My guess is that the donor bike has relatively high mileage (either that, or it lived out in the rain). The feet are a bit thin; I'd weld a couple of 2mm plates to them.

............ I promise I won't bid on it Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

9Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:52 am

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Dai, It did cross my mind when I posted it that I am just advertising to all the people who would think about buying it. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes but I trust you lot Centre stand replacement 8157 Centre stand replacement 8157 Centre stand replacement 8157

I know a chap who can pop sleeves on it and a bit extra on the feet, I think for the price its worth buying even if it's just a template to build a new one!

10Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:55 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Dave
I've got that item on my watch list - I was going to bid so's I could pop it under the bench for the next project, it's really cheap at the mo.

Thing is, if you only need the actual 'U' centre stand, I only need the mounting frame and the sidestand. I'd be happy to send you the 'U' that I don't need for free?

chris

11Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:21 am

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Chris,

The leg snapped on the stand so the only bit I really need is this bit. If that's the bit you don't need then I'm happy to go with your offer, it makes my life easier. Let me know. Dave

Centre stand replacement 4652475Kippstnder1

12Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:10 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The Ebay stand is from a 4V and have grease nipples,
also the bushings have o-ring grease retainers....so the bushings should
follow the stand, but you probably need new o-rings.

Loctite is used on the mounting screws, use heat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
I now see that it's a -83 model you have......then you need the complete unit.

Models before May -84 have a different bracket, stand and bushings...
and these parts isn't interchangeable.

13Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:46 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers for the info Inge.

Based on that, I'd suggest you bid for the whole unit (I won't) and if you get it and find that the centrestand won't fit your mounting bracket, then it's a good call and you're good to go.
On the other hand, if the ebay centrestand does fit your mounting bracket (I think it will, but I'd rather defer to Inge's detailed knowledge) then maybe you could sell me the 'spare' ebay mounting bracket and sidestand if you're happy to do that.
It's no biggie, I'm not stuck for a stand at all - unlike you!
cheers
chris

14Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Davep

Davep
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the advice Inge!

Chris, No problem, I'll have a look to see if it can be swapped out, either way, I'll either have the mount from this one or the old one I take off which you are welcome to. I'll let you know which I end with on the bench and if you like can post it up to you.

Cheers

Dave

15Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:39 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
mount off the straight leg type is desirable as it has a slightly different angle of the sidestand bracket

just a heads up

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

16Back to top Go down   Centre stand replacement Empty Re: Centre stand replacement Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:34 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The difference between the very early stand/bracket is the diameter of the
bushings, the very early ones have much smaller diameter.
Then it's obvious with the stands, and the bushings is supported in a recess
in the bracket.......that's why the parts isn't interchangeable.

But this very early stands was even more prone to breaking than the next
generation, so it could be that yours allready have been changed out.

The difference to look for:
The very early bracket is rectangular, the later is shaped like a U.
The later stand have a sleeve welded to the top of the legs,
on the very early one the tubes is just pressed flat on the top of the legs.
The very early bushings have a collar on the outer end, the later ones
have a seeger ring on the outer end.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum