BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100 Frame 1986 or later Empty K100 Frame 1986 or later Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:58 am

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Platinum member
Platinum member
Am posting this for another person

They have a Jap import and want to change the frame to an Australian stamped one.
Specifically after a post 1986 frame for K100

Needed in Wollongong area.

Not urgent

Thanks in anticipation

Regards

Guy

2Back to top Go down   K100 Frame 1986 or later Empty Re: K100 Frame 1986 or later Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:28 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Just curious Guy, why do they want to change the frame? I have friends who have Japanese import bikes and I'm fairly sure they did not have to do that.

My own K75 (1990 build) was a European import and ADR plated in 1998 (not by me).

3Back to top Go down   K100 Frame 1986 or later Empty Re: K100 Frame 1986 or later Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:45 am

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Platinum member
Platinum member
haven't seen them for a couple of weeks.

from memory, it was something to do about registration and paper work. 

will check and confirm

GF

4Back to top Go down   K100 Frame 1986 or later Empty Re: K100 Frame 1986 or later Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:05 pm

I have a post 1986 frame available, if you're still looking.

Last edited by Alexander McCarthy on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Back to top Go down   K100 Frame 1986 or later Empty Imported Frame registration Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:50 pm

redrockmania

redrockmania
Silver member
Silver member
I have a 1983 K100 imported from Japan and there was no changing of the frame number involved. Your friend may have received incorrect advice. There are a number of federally approved certifiers of import vehicles and they inspect the vehicle for compliance and then issue a certificate of compliance if the vehicle complies - this can be an expensive process for what is a simple enough inspection. Get quotes if you have to do this because the asking price various a lot. My experience was interesting. My K100 was purchased on eBay (after a friend viewed the bike) and came with the certificate already issued. The certificate was factually incorrect stating that it was a 1988 K100. I checked frame and engine numbers myself and it is a September 1983 manufacture. I phoned the certifying engineer to discuss this discrepancy and he said he could not find the engine number stamping on the block. I told him where is was and he agreed to amend his inspection certificate at no cost to provide the correct information. I am in NSW and the registration of a vehicle being imported into NSW from overseas or interstate requires a "Blue Certificate" issued by a limited number of approved certifiers. A key reason for the Blue Certificate is confirmation of true identity of the vehicle and confirmation it is not stolen or "rebirth". The inspection for the Blue Certificate was a joke (no proper inspection done to confirm vehicle identity) - however the certificate was issued and I was able to register and insure the vehicle. 
A Husqvarna TE610EI I purchased from a bloke in Queensland had an additional Qld Plate attached to the frame indicating that it had been certified by Qld to carry a pillion passenger (because optional passenger foot pegs had been fitted). 
In summary do not assume that all of the "professionals" you deal with will give you the correct information about plating and registration certification. You may need to get a second opinion.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum