BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hi all..Broken BMW already Empty Hi all..Broken BMW already Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:10 pm

equiliser

equiliser
Hi all

I live in suderland N.E. England and have bought my first BMW k100 rt after passing my full bike test.
But after two fantastic weeks of riding the bike broke down on the way to work.
after getting the bike back home i got my chief mechanic "16 year old son (very enthusiastic)" to have a look at it after being told that the engine was dead.
The bike would not start and there was a loud screetching sound came from the front of the engine.
after taking the front part of the water pump off the bike started without the large screach.
So i have ordered a full manual and i am embarking on a waterpump refurb this comming week.

Any help on this subject would be greatly received.

Dave

2Back to top Go down   Hi all..Broken BMW already Empty Hi all..Broken BMW already Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:17 pm

sojelade

Hi Dave;

I welcome you to this Forum and I am sorry to hear of your experience. I live in Kings Lynn in Norfolk and a couple of years ago I acquire myself one of the K100 RT which I stripped down and rebuild with the help of Bert even though he was thousands of miles away. You will need to get a Haynes manual or better still a CLYMER SERVICE REPAIR MAINTENANCE MANUAL.

I do not think it is only the pump that will have made your bike just stop but there must be some other fault as well. Will the bike not just start or did it turn-over when you press the starter button. You did not mention which year the bike is as there was a modification to the pump unit a few years after the initial ones were produced. If you are looking at rebuilding the pump motorbins do a kit for this and you can get it on their website (http://www.motobins.co.uk/index.php) and they will post it to you. You need to check all the electrics connections as you might have just had a connection not making proper contact.

I will suggest you always take pictures before you dismantle any parts if at all possible. If you need any help or guidance please feel free to contact me as I have had to rebuild the bike twice due to an accident I had so I had a lot of experience in putting it together.

I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Regards

Soji

3Back to top Go down   Hi all..Broken BMW already Empty Hi all..Broken BMW already Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:39 pm

equiliser

equiliser
Hi Soji

best off telling you the story from the beginning
riding to work i felt like the gear change was a little strange but the bike did go into gear..about 15 minutes into my journey after a nice ride at 70..i turned onto a back street and started to change up through the gears, and just as i knocked it into fifth, the bike seemed to stall. i quickly tried to knock the gear down into 4th so i could bump the bike but all i had was the ignition lights.
i pulled the clutch and drifted to the side of the road. the bike at this stage was stuck in fifth. I tried to start the bike but it seemed like the bike would not turn over. I managed to push the bike to a nearby car park to have a closer look. the bike was still stuck in 5th gear and refusing to start. at this point a friend was passing and give me a lift into work ...very lucky. but at this point i wa convinced it was the clutch an on arrival at work decided to check out the price to replace....not cheap.
after work i was picked up by my understanding wife and my chief mechanic (son) on arrival at the bike my son worked his magic and managed to get the bike into 4th gear by moving the back wheel while on the centre stand.
After a £65 recovery bill we got the bike back to base where the toolbox lives..hooray.
We then managed to get the bike to turn over but there was a massive screeching sound from the front of the engine where the waterpump is. while the engine is running the gears can be shifted as normal....thank god.
chief mechanic then investigated the next day and found that he could drain the bike of water and removed the waterpump front plate and start the engine without the screaching...obviously only for second.
Also the most important thing to mention is that throughout all of the trip the oil pressure light had been on. on investigation i now come to learn the water pump is also the oil pump and is where the oil pressure switch lives.
This is why i believe it is the waterpump to blame...it;s thecheepest option and starting point

I get my haynes manual tommorow from ebay..time for a good read and dirty hands
if you have any tip tricks or ideas what the problem could be let me know ...i'm new to bikes and K100's so need all the help i can get and it looks like i have come to the right place
Dave

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum