BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Stripped banjo bolt hole Empty Stripped banjo bolt hole Sun May 03, 2020 2:22 am

jpatrickleighton

Need assistance on this one. Either a clever way to repair or make work my front brake reservoir or, if anyone has one they’d let go for less than what seems to be the standard price on eBay. I’m in WA as I know some of you guys are and I’d be thrilled to be able to pick one up. Thanks in advance!!

*’85 K100 RS 44k

Last edited by jpatrickleighton on Sun May 03, 2020 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Stripped banjo bolt hole Empty Re: Stripped banjo bolt hole Sun May 03, 2020 4:30 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
The easiest thing to do so that everyone knows exactly which bike you have is to go to your Profile tab, enter the Signature tab, and insert the year and model of your particular Brick.

Now for the stripped thread...most BMW brake hoses and fittings use a 10mm x 1.0 pitch thread. Is the aluminium master cylinder thread where the hose goes in the bit that's stripped? Did the inside taper suffer any damage? Have you ever heard of Helicoil? They're trick steel thread coils that replicate, after drilling and re-tapping to a minimally larger opening, the original thread, effectively restoring the threads so you can continue using the item. I have used them successfully on spark plug holes. Won't it leak? Not if the taper is not damaged.

A place to buy Helicoil kits.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

3Back to top Go down   Stripped banjo bolt hole Empty Re: Stripped banjo bolt hole Sun May 03, 2020 5:13 am

jpatrickleighton

Thank you! I didn’t see a signature tab but I edited the op...
Exactly! The aluminum that the banjo bolt threads into is what is stripped. Was moving too fast reassembling and just over-tightened... a lot! I’m familiar with helicoils, I’m not sure what you mean though by the “taper”. Is there a taper in the threads similar to NPT? Anything I could use to seal the insert in the new threads? Loctite? Teflon? Seems it would take a small miracle to not leak under pressure otherwise. Although I can’t find anything online I can’t help but think there has to be a banjo bolt out there with a larger od that I could tap the stripped hole for. Saving the need for the helicoil. Is that worth pursuing?

4Back to top Go down   Stripped banjo bolt hole Empty Re: Stripped banjo bolt hole Sun May 03, 2020 5:35 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jpatrickleighton wrote:I didn’t see a signature tab but I edited the op...
This is the window that opens when the Profile tab is clicked. The Signature tab is indicated by the arrow.Stripped banjo bolt hole Profil10

This is the window that opens when the Signature tab is clicked. Enter your moto's year of manufacture, its model and other pertinent information about it into the box indicated by the arrow then click the Save box at the bottom of the page.
Stripped banjo bolt hole Signat10

Last edited by Laitch on Sun May 03, 2020 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total

5Back to top Go down   Stripped banjo bolt hole Empty Re: Stripped banjo bolt hole Sun May 03, 2020 5:52 am

gorio

Silver member
Silver member
If you have the space I would be tempted to use a threaded insert. A drill and tap process similar to a helicoil but a little bigger hole with and an insert with a complete set of threads inside and out. Many of them come with a thread sealer/locker on the OD threads.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/three-ways-to-fix-damaged-threads/

6Back to top Go down   Stripped banjo bolt hole Empty Re: Stripped banjo bolt hole Sun May 03, 2020 6:59 am

jpatrickleighton

@laitch thank you! I think I got it figured. Tried adding a pic too. Seemed like it was a little big... we’ll see when I send this Question

@gorio well I’m not sure how much materials going to need to be removed to get a Helicoil in But that’s definitely what I’m gonna try first at least go take a look and see if this, maybe quarter inch wall that I have is going to afford me enough room for it... fingers crossed!

7Back to top Go down   Stripped banjo bolt hole Empty Re: Stripped banjo bolt hole Sun May 03, 2020 11:58 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I see you're parked above the Tacoma Dome. If you want to change that rear cowl so your '86-on seat doesn't haven't a gap where the grab handles go on the '83 to '85 models, I have several later cowls available, not in your colour, but that's easy to change.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum