BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   detecting a bent frame Empty detecting a bent frame Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:27 am

Bruce

Bruce
Silver member
Silver member
Hey! looking for a new project and have always wondered how to tell if a frame is bent. I know about looking for cracks in the metalwork or distortion in the paintwork but anyone have suggestions for screening out the potential for a bent bike? thanks

2Back to top Go down   detecting a bent frame Empty Re: detecting a bent frame Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
I'm far from being a Pro on that matter, but I know an easy and quick way:

Strip the bike to its frame (at least so you can reach it) and lay a flat and about 5 cm wide piece of metal (let's say a part of a window frame or whatever comes in your hands, is flat, wide and straight) on different parts of the bikes frame. If you can wobble it, then you know the frame is not even, apparently not allowing the flat piece of metal to sit still on it...

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
A parts bike (85 RT) in my possesion was found to have the tail loop cracked in 1/2 at the center and the sheet metal cross piece at the rear of the tool box area broken also. Upon closer inspection I found what appears to be a substantial "Bow" in the right side of the frame rear area ahead of the tail loop. I will post photos here. Can you all verify please that the right side rear of the frame (under the seat area) should indeed be straight? I was considering if this frame has any value as repairable as the forward end appears perfect at all the gusset plates etc. and the forks also appear straight.

I do have a signed California title for this frame. If anyone has a use for it please let me know before I cut it up & dispose of it. detecting a bent frame Sam_2225

detecting a bent frame Sam_2226

detecting a bent frame Sam_2227

detecting a bent frame Sam_2228

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum