BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Integral bag hinges Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:42 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
I have a number of the K bike integral bag hinges. And while at $8./per they're not terrible expensive, they do keep breaking/ripping. has anyone ever gotten so frugal they tried to convert them to metal hinges or found a way to repair or convert them. Just venting a little as they always seem to break or go bad when I'm furthest from home. I usually keep a couple of spares but I've searched high and low and can't find where I last saved them.  I did the usual trick and used duct tape on top of the broken hinges to get home and in time will buy replacements. Any anecdotes or suggestions other than keep a spare set. I swear I saw my spare ones not too long ago.

2Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Re: Integral bag hinges Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I've only gone through 2 pair of hinges in twenty years. Normally one of the pair seems to go first, when I see one starting to go I replace the pair. I've never had to replace one on the road, however as a precaution I carry a spare pair in the tail. And I have never run my Brick without the panniers. Some members have fitted metal hinges, but OEM ones are easy to replace on the side of the road if one should ever fail.
Regards Martin.

3Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Re: Integral bag hinges Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I check the hinges whenever I get a "new" bike and replace any that look worn.  Like Martin, I carry a couple spares in the tail to prevent hinge failure.  So far, that has worked pretty well as a preventative measure.

What is a bigger concern to me is the latches that hold the cases on the bike.  They loosen up with age and, on the city cases, allow for escape at the most inopportune moments.  The solution I have used is to put blocks in the opening in the Z-bars to keep the latch closed and a strap to hold the case on the bike.  The strap also holds the case closed.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

4Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Re: Integral bag hinges Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:08 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote:. . . has anyone ever gotten so frugal they tried to convert them to metal hinges or found a way to repair or convert them.
Here are some posts with assembly instructions for a simple side case security device, similar to the device Point-seven-five describes. Martin and the crew at the Guild had been casting elegant versions of this device then donating sales to fire-related services in Australia.

5Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Re: Integral bag hinges Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:42 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Each cover should have a retaining strap that holds the lid open at 90º. If you're using the cases frequently without those devices and letting the lids drop down past that point, that could be contributing to fatigue of the hinge plastic. The only times I've had broken case hinges is after the cases have been jostled off the moto in a run over a deep pothole or brisk run across a pothole field then tumbled, or a hard drop of the moto onto one of the cases.

6Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Re: Integral bag hinges Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:24 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Integral bag hinges Dscf1010
Slick, red mud on a 50km ride back to the main highway after a night's rain whilst camping near Camooweal, Queensland - August, 2010. I went down fast after getting stuck in the narrow rut of a ute's tyre track. But it was dry going in last night! I carry two spares, always.
Integral bag hinges Dscf1012
Looks innocent enough.
Integral bag hinges Dscf1011
The evidence.

The OEM part number is 46 54 2 300 039.

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

7Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Re: Integral bag hinges Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:05 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
A more permanent job is Piano Hinge in white nylon/plastic

8Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Re: Integral bag hinges Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:19 pm

DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog
Silver member
Silver member
Laitch wrote:Each cover should have a retaining strap that holds the lid open at 90º. If you're using the cases frequently without those devices and letting the lids drop down past that point, that could be contributing to fatigue of the hinge plastic.

+1.

The retaining straps do lose their metal ends... a pop rivet can fix that.

PAST:
old (indeterminate age) Ural + sidecar
1997 Buell S3T Thunderbolt
1982 BMW R100CS
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1970 Suzuki Titan

9Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Re: Integral bag hinges Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:54 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I've found that the restraining straps occasionally unsnap. So I've fitted auxiliary paracord restraints on the panniers and the 22 Lt top box.
Regards Martin.
Integral bag hinges P7300110
Integral bag hinges P7300111

10Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Re: Integral bag hinges Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:58 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
DadofHedgehog wrote:
Laitch wrote:Each cover should have a retaining strap that holds the lid open at 90º. If you're using the cases frequently without those devices and letting the lids drop down past that point, that could be contributing to fatigue of the hinge plastic.

+1.

The retaining straps do lose their metal ends... a pop rivet can fix that.
I've done that. Main issue is that the original pop rivets have their heads in the (don't know how to describe this) in the "U" space of the ?Seal? Anyway when I add a pop rivet it goes all the way through the wall of the bag. Doesn't look all that good but it works. I do agree that allowing the lid to flop down past the 90degree point does add to the stress leading to failure of the hinge.

Nice idea of adding a further restraining strap.

11Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Re: Integral bag hinges Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:40 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
It sounds like you have the pop rivets in the wrong place. Pictures would clarify the situation. My extra restraints go from the lid restraint mounting point to one of the rivets that hold on the catch that secures the pannier to the mounting frame. The original rivet was drilled out and a plastic tab secured with a longer rivet. If you  "Go enlarge this image Click to see full size". you should be able to see the tab. Rather than drill holes through the top box lid I cut up a $5.00 plastic cutting board into small blocks. I drilled countersunk and tapped the holes from the rear and locked in place with glue and a lock nut.  the blocks were glued to the inside of the box. The para cord was looped through a small piece of 1/4" copper tube which once the correct length was determined was squashed flat in a vice.
Regards Martin.

12Back to top Go down   Integral bag hinges Empty Re: Integral bag hinges Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:28 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote: Pictures would clarify the situation.
Sorry just spent an hour trying to setup an account with servimg so that I could provide photos. Very frustrating with the forumotion and such. Think I'll back off on photos for the moment.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum