BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K75 Steering head seal? Empty K75 Steering head seal? Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:20 am

roach374

roach374
Silver member
Silver member
In taking apart the steering head on my '93 K75 standard to replace the bearings, there's some sort of seal between the upper and lower bearings, with two retaining screws that hold it in place (You can sort of see what I'm talking about at 16:47, here).

When I look at realOEM for my bike's serial number, it doesn't show up in the parts fiche at all. IT doesn't even show the retaining screws that stick through the steering column to keep the seal in place.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? What's the BMW part number for this mysterious seal that I can't find in any parts diagram?

2Back to top Go down   K75 Steering head seal? Empty Re: K75 Steering head seal? Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:37 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
It's the Fluid Bloc steering damper.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   K75 Steering head seal? Empty Re: K75 Steering head seal? Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:33 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
roach374 wrote:When I look at realOEM for my bike's serial number, it doesn't show up in the parts fiche at all. IT doesn't even show the retaining screws that stick through the steering column to keep the seal in place.

What's the BMW part number for this mysterious seal that I can't find in any parts diagram?
Use only the last seven digits of your moto's serial number. You also needed to look in this section.
K75 Steering head seal? Scree129
Regardless, here is the realOEM page you couldn't find. Scroll down for the part numbers.

4Back to top Go down   K75 Steering head seal? Empty Re: K75 Steering head seal? Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:44 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:It's the Fluid Bloc steering damper.  

What he said.  

From memory it was introduced around 1991 and is generally a pain in the rear end.  The grease inside them dries out and makes it a pain when trying to set up steering head bearings.

5Back to top Go down   K75 Steering head seal? Empty Re: K75 Steering head seal? Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:45 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
The special grease is still available as Dow Corning High Vacuum Silicone Grease.
Regards Martin.

6Back to top Go down   K75 Steering head seal? Empty Re: K75 Steering head seal? Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:45 pm

roach374

roach374
Silver member
Silver member
Laitch wrote:Regardless, here is the realOEM page you couldn't find. Scroll down for the part numbers.

As usual, Laitch, coming through in the clutch. Thank you!

MartinW wrote:The special grease is still available as Dow Corning High Vacuum Silicone Grease

Thanks MartinW, What's so "special" about this grease? Could I use red grease, SuperLube, or white lithium or something instead?

7Back to top Go down   K75 Steering head seal? Empty Re: K75 Steering head seal? Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:05 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
The grease is extremely thick, and the Fluid Bloc is designed to use that particular grease. A tube of that grease will last you and your ancestors for many generations to come. I've found other uses for it. It can be packed between the upper dust seal and the fork seal to stop the ingress of dirt and water. I've never had to change my seals in over 20 years, replace the grease every year or two. I also use it under the boot of my rear master cylinder to stop water and road crap ingress. A lot of master cylinders I've seen have corrosion around and under the boot. 
Regards Martin.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum