BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Empty e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Got a new e-reader, a Sony 650. For the OZ people... if you want one, choose carefully.

First, motorcycle content Smile you can read your PDF manuals on it.

The quality is great but the purchasing software is f*&^ed up. Yes, you MUST purchase books through your PC preferably while connected to the e-reader.

It works but it was designed around US and Canada markets, legalese and restrictions and not the customer. The customer has to go through the loops so all concerned are satisfied and paid. No transparency here... you must do it all yourself, else you can only read public domain books in PDF or Epub formats.

Typical Sony... it is not what they tell you, it is all about what they don't say. I've had issues with them in the past over selling products that are "ready for...", but can't actually do things unless you spend a significant amounts in software and optional cables and hardware to do it. Selling is all done by use of weasel words and fine print... they will point it out after you complain Smile

You can complain to customer service by email... now there is a joke Smile ...it goes like this: an automated email politely tells you that they will look into it Smile yep, they have your money so there is no hurry.

oh yes, usage is what I was complaining about ... it goes like this :
must hook to a PC,
screen goes to "Charging",
must install PC software from the Sony website,
must create accounts with sellers OZ only,
Sony books not available for OZ,
most sellers restrict purchase of books to OZ,
paypal,
download purchase to "library",
download Adobe decryption,
transfer to ebook by drag-and-drop,
disconnect ebook than
read.... easy Smile

The ebook comes with nothing other than manuals and a cable, all of this for AU$300.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

2Back to top Go down   e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Empty Re: e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:58 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
My head hurts

3Back to top Go down   e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Empty Re: e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Does it mix a good cocktail at the end of a hard day?

4Back to top Go down   e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Empty Re: e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:12 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Sony is manufacturing good products but they have a problem: They try to impose their own technology to the rest of the world and the world's industry is not ready to accept Sony as a standard for everyone.
As a rule, I always recommend to avoid this brand of material. If you take the example of digital cameras, they always had their own type of memory sticks and because of the lack of competition they were able to sell it at twice the cost of other types commonly used. (I don't want to start a technology war, but this reminds me how Apple lost a big chunk of the market share because of their decision to be exclusive)
An industry standard used by multiple developers and suppliers leads to further developments, increase in performance, and decrease in cost.
As a single company, Sony cannot compete and can only retain their customers because of their investment into their proprietary technology. In simple Sony's words, You are stocked with what you bought!
I feel sorry for you wasting your money, but I am also grateful that you shared your experience. Others will think twice before buying this product.

Bert

5Back to top Go down   e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Empty Re: e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:07 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Typical Sony, remember 2005 everyone who bought a CD and played it on their computer unwittingly installed a Sony Rootkit which opened a huge security hole http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal

I had to get into my machine to root out the malware Sony had installed when a family member played a disc we had bought! Then to cap it all those swine at Sony brought out a fix-it which in fact reportedly made the risk greater. GRRRR.

We used to be a totally Sony household with all Sony electronics products, not any more we avoid them like the plague, I will not buy Sony music I don't trust them any more.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Empty Re: e-book readers - Sony's new 650 Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:00 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Will your E-book reader blend like the Ipad?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum