BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Puffalot

Puffalot
I just wanted to share my good fortune and hopefully help someone out! So my 87 k75s had just cut off when I reached across the tank the other day. I went looking for the issue since after cutting out it wouldn't start back up. From the sound it seemed like it wasn't getting any fuel, I looked into the 4 wire connector debacle but mine looked fine🤷‍�. I decided on my way home from work today that I was going to tear everything down and figure it out one way or another! I meant to pick up a fuel filter on my way but decided I'd go back out and get ond that closely matched the one I'd be changing. I removed the 4 screws holding the tank cap on and used my phone for a flashlight 🤔🤔🤔🤪🤨🙄😉😂😂😂😂 thankfully just a loose hose clamp!

Puffalot

Puffalot
Troubleshooting a no-crank situation  20210614

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If the fuel filter is of unknown age replace it. Moisture is a killer of those filters and it is very likely the filter has become blocked due to it getting water on the element and then has blown off the hose. The early symptoms you were describing were very much those of a blocked filter.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
NAPA Gold 3032 is a good filter. Also get some 8mm submersible fuel line and proper 13mm fuel line clamps to replace those worm gear clamps.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Puffalot

Puffalot
Thank you guys! I was thinking about that, I figure there has been some sort of pressure buildup that caused/aided in blowing off that hose. Furthermore the clamps on there doesn't seem to be a good choice. I'll pick some up this evening and install tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to give her a dirty run tomorrow raining or not😁

Puffalot

Puffalot
Just a question by someone who truly doesn't know......so the advance auto equivalent to the napa gold 3032 comes with 2 3-4" pieces of fuel line and 4 new clamps. The clamps are the squeeze type, they shouldn't be used in the tank correct? I purchased 4 of the appropriate sized fuel line clamps either way. But the lady at the counter had no idea if any of their fuel line is rated for submersion in gasoline 🤔 I don't know either, but I'd imagine that anything but that cheap clear fuel line like used in carburetor bikes would work? I'm going to try a piece of this new line to go in between the tank and the filter.

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Submersible fuel line should meet or exceed specification SAE 30R10, and it should be written on the hose.

Mike

Puffalot

Puffalot
Thanks for the info Mike. I changed my filter and the short piece of hose, I actually double clamped it like I use to do on my boat fuel lines. Probably overkill but🤷‍� I bet it doesn't pop off again lol. Definitely feels different. I'm going to try and get the spark plugs pulled and look them over after a couple hundred miles. Now to move onto the clutch adjustment.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum