BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Wheel side to side runout Empty Wheel side to side runout Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:12 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
('91 K75 Silver 56Kmiles) I was getting new tires (almost spelled it tyres) when I thought why not get the black painted snow flake wheels like my other machine? Hides the dirt and looks good. Looked around and found a rear at a friend's shop. Turned out I already had a front wheel at the bottom of my pile of unobtanium parts. So I ran both wheels through a cleaning and examination. But the rear has a .1 inch/2.54 mm run out side to side. It's used and common sense says that .1 inch ain't going to make that much difference once a tire is mounted and balanced. So I thought to just run a sanity check on my assumption. Any observations or consensus on how much side to side slop is acceptable?

I already received and mounted the new tires on my old wheels so this is another project for the near future.

thanks and best regards
J.

2Back to top Go down   Wheel side to side runout Empty Re: Wheel side to side runout Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:01 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I'm not totally familiar with K75 but isn't the older Y-spoked wheel a narrower rim? If that's the case then it's a no-brainer imo. Go with the wider wheel. Possibly better tyre choices as well maybe.

TBH, unless that run-out is like a warp across half the wheel, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a 2" dingle in the front that has about the same run-out and it makes no difference.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Wheel side to side runout Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum