BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K75C rear wheel spacer. Empty K75C rear wheel spacer. Sun May 08, 2022 2:54 am

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
I took my 1987 K75C for its first run today. It ran very well but I noticed some squealing when I put the rear brake on. When I got home I removed the rear wheel and it looks like the wheel is touching the edge of the brake pads.

I assume there should be the standard BMW spacer between the wheel and the hub. Can someone confirm this please?

2Back to top Go down   K75C rear wheel spacer. Empty Re: K75C rear wheel spacer. Sun May 08, 2022 3:11 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
all bevel boxes k75 - k100  should have the spacer , im guessing the brake disk is touching the calliper body as brakes applied ,?  but could be a stuck piston internal to the calliper causing the noise ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   K75C rear wheel spacer. Empty Re: K75C rear wheel spacer. Sun May 08, 2022 8:17 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
As the 75C has a drum brake and not a disc brake, it has the different rear wheel.  Due to the design the four wheel bolts are shorter and a spacer is not fitted.  

There is a bit in the Haynes manual about fitting a rubber damper around the rearmost return spring to prevent brake squeal.  There is a bit more detail to it than that if you need to have the damper fitted.  You may have to replace both springs as well.  

Do you have a Haynes manual for K bikes?

Last edited by TacKler on Sun May 08, 2022 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total

4Back to top Go down   K75C rear wheel spacer. Empty Re: K75C rear wheel spacer. Sun May 08, 2022 8:40 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Check the shoes for glazing.  A light scrub on the shoes and the drum with 400 grit to break the glaze.  A very light film of spline lube on all the moving parts being very careful to keep it off the shoes and the drum.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down   K75C rear wheel spacer. Empty Re: K75C rear wheel spacer. Sun May 08, 2022 9:22 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
TacKler wrote:. . . fitting a rubber damper around the rearmost return spring to prevent brake squeal.  There is a bit more detail to it than that if you need to have the damper fitted.  You may have to replace both springs as well.
The condition is described in this BMW service bulletin.

6Back to top Go down   K75C rear wheel spacer. Empty Re: K75C rear wheel spacer. Sun May 08, 2022 7:21 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Really none of these apply. It has a drum brake and the EDGE of the shoes is touching the inner part of the wheel centre like the wheel is going too far over the hub. Actual brake shoes are ok and I did de-glaze them. I'll get a photo later to show what I mean

UPDATE:
Gaz has supplied me some info on centreing the brake shoes. I'll give this a go when I get a chance.

ANOTHER UPDATE:
Problem solved.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum