BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Reconditioning Fuel Tank Cap Seat Empty Reconditioning Fuel Tank Cap Seat Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:45 am

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
So I figured out why my tank leaked when the bike was on the side stand....wasn't just old gaskets:

Reconditioning Fuel Tank Cap Seat 20220712

The seat for the Cap assembly gasket was pretty badly corroded. I managed to brush the corrosion out but there's still some pitting as you can see.  Can I just sand it out or how can I ensure a good seal when I put all new gaskets on the cap assembly?  Or some kind of hylomar gasket-treatment?

Reconditioning Fuel Tank Cap Seat 20220710
Reconditioning Fuel Tank Cap Seat 20220711
Also from these images...the assembly itself is in pretty bad shape.  What do I need to do beyond the rebuild kit?  I'm a little worried about the side flange and everything that's flaking off of the assembly.  Sad

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
That's not as bad as you think it is. A new gasket will take care of the pitting in the tank as long as the remaining surface is flat and smooth. The peeling stuff is paint; a PO had that problem on one of my K100s so he just cleaned it all off and it didn't seem to have any effect on sealing. The final pic is fuel deposits. Show them to a rotary brush in a drill.

Problem solved.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum