BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello! new member from Australia Empty Hello! new member from Australia Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:10 pm

gravelsandwich

gravelsandwich
Hi there,
 I'm Liam from Central Queensland, Australia. I've just bought a 1984 K100 RS and looking forward to engaging on the forum and enjoying my new bike. I am the 4th owner(3rd to actually ride it), the bike has been well looked after and it's condition is as you would expect after 38 years and 176k, Cheers......

Back Story: 
I'm in my 50's and have always owned a motorbike. I bought my first road bike in the early 90's and it was a 1982 Honda CB900 F1 from a dealer. They also had a Suzuki Katana which I liked better but was dearer so I bought the Honda. I have fond memory's of the CB, beautiful bike to ride, even my cattle dog loved hopping up on the tank and going for a ride. 
After a few years I sold the F1 and bought a lovely 1983 Honda CB900 F2 bol d'Or. It was great bike to look at and ride but I actually liked riding the F1 better with it's more naked styling and bikini faring. The F2 developed a few problems after a while, electrical issues and the tank leaking from a previous owners repair(probably got dropped at some stage), so around 1998 I decided to update and went to my local dealer expecting to purchase a more modern Honda CBR or VFR. But I totally and expectantly walked out of that dealer the new owner of a near new 1996 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster. I remember my old man saying to me, quote: "Of all the dumb stupid things you've ever done, you went and bought a Harley". He owned British bikes in the 50's and 60's and Harley engines had a pretty bad reputation back then, but as it turned out he enjoyed riding the Sportster so much that when I wanted to go for a ride I'd have to ring him up and collect it from his place!  
So I've still got the Harley after nearly 25 years but recently been wanting something different and do one of these Café Racer builds that seem popular these days. I got looking on Market Place for a cheap old bike or something interesting like a Yamaha Virage or a Honda CX500. That's when a couple of BMW's popped up which pricked my interest, I remember seeing these on the road. I thought they looked nice, a little bland maybe compared to my F2 but obviously well made and expensive. 
The few K100's on Market Place were out of my price bracket so I discarded them for now but after doing more research and watching YouTube videos on the K100 my interest grew. 
Eventually the one I purchased was on Gumtree, the owner told me he bought it from his 70+ year old work collogue who'd owned it since the 90's, to turn into a Café Racer(he had the same nostalgia virus I had), but said he realized that was the dumbest idea he'd ever had. 
So now this beautiful '84 K100 sits in my garage, again not the bike I thought I'd buy or own, waits to see what becomes of it. But after looking at it, admiring its uniqueness, it's total separation from anything Japanese and the pure genius of the German engineers at the time I can do nothing else but restore this beautiful, metallic Red piece of history back to it origin. 
The Café Racer will have to wait for something lesser!

2Back to top Go down   Hello! new member from Australia Empty Re: Hello! new member from Australia Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:21 pm

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
G'Day Liam and welcome.

You'll find the bike easy to work on and all of the common problems/issues have been covered in this forum.

There is a small but keen kluster of K owners in SEQ who have been known to roam out your way so odds of catching up with the group at some stage are good.

Heaps of knowledge here willingly given.

Cheers

Mick

3Back to top Go down   Hello! new member from Australia Empty Re: Hello! new member from Australia Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:08 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Hello! new member from Australia 177912 As Mick has stated there is a  Keen Kluster Of Kweensland K Kronies. It's pretty informal and we don't take things too seriously. There are disorganised day rides and overnight camping rallies as well as Workshop Days. These were supposed to rotate between members but have now settled on North Lakes. We can get over 10 Kronies at a meet and everyone contributes whatever skills they have. Anyone who is lacking in skills soon picks them up with help from the Kronies. Morning tea/brunch is supplied along with plenty of banter and BS. There is a workshop coming up at the end of August (on a Sunday yet to be determined). Kronies post what jobs they require help with and the others decide what they can help with. All are welcome.
Regards Martin.

4Back to top Go down   Hello! new member from Australia Empty Re: Hello! new member from Australia Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:05 am

Arlina

Arlina
Welcome Liam :0

5Back to top Go down   Hello! new member from Australia Empty Re: Hello! new member from Australia Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:34 am

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
Gday Liam
Hello! new member from Australia 177912 here

Hello! new member from Australia 9438-010

6Back to top Go down   Hello! new member from Australia Empty Re: Hello! new member from Australia Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:56 pm

gravelsandwich

gravelsandwich
Thanks for your reply's. I'll look forward to catching up with the SEQ riders or if you pass through my home town of Rockhampton.. Exclamation

7Back to top Go down   Hello! new member from Australia Empty Re: Hello! new member from Australia Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:54 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome  good to hear another Ozzzy is on the site

2004 F650 GS known as DACK-DACK

#### K100 RS Project 
2011 R1200 GS known as Big Blue 

8Back to top Go down   Hello! new member from Australia Empty Re: Hello! new member from Australia Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:37 am

td5

td5
Platinum member
Platinum member
Welcome Liam from the other side, plenty of help here just ask.
You will have tons of fun with your bike, good choice.

2015 / K1300R
2002 / R1100S BCR

9Back to top Go down   Hello! new member from Australia Empty Re: Hello! new member from Australia Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:08 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Hello Liam! mine is my 1st BMW. I have found it to be a great riding bike. I have ridden for 35 years and I think This rs is my favorite ride of all my bikes in the past. 

Bill

10Back to top Go down   Hello! new member from Australia Empty Re: Hello! new member from Australia Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:33 pm

Bernie_K100

Bernie_K100
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi Iam,

Hello! new member from Australia 177912 to this forum!

Bernie

11Back to top Go down   Hello! new member from Australia Empty Re: Hello! new member from Australia Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:10 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
G'Day Liam and welcome to the forum.

That's a fine looking pup you've got there!

Sean

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc7NNjWO7nHEhMpErSDJ5Hw

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum