BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Front Brake Lever Adjustment Empty Front Brake Lever Adjustment Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:15 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hello all
another annoying little problem has surfaced and I have searched for an answer but must again ask for help. Sorry.
Rear brake light has come on continually, checked foot brake switch, cleaned connection, still there.
Then accidentally find that my front brake lever is a bit loose and is not returning back to a point where it trips the light off.
I cannot see where the switch is actuated, and cannot figure out how to adjust the cable. Haynes was no good to me and couldn't find it in the how to section.
Any clues from the gurus.
Thanks RT.

2Back to top Go down   Front Brake Lever Adjustment Empty Re: Front Brake Lever Adjustment Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:02 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
You might be lucky and just get away with a thorough clean of the front brake lever.

The lever pivots on a bolt. Take the nut and bolt off and wiggle your
lever out. Get a torch and have a look at the area where the lever came
out.

Clean that up...and you'll find the switch for the brake light. Clean
everything and lightly grease the "face" of the lever that pushes on the
switch. Also, lightly grease the pivot area of the lever and
reassemble.

If that doesn't work, you may need to unscrew the switch from the brake
lever assembly (you can do it without taking the tank off) and clean it
up with thinners (to get the junk/dirt out). Dab some DeoxIT in there so it makes a good contact.
Reassemble.

If that doesn't work, you may need to rebuild your master cylinder; on
mine the spring was rusted-out and didn't have the "strength" to return
the lever and close the brake light switch.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by blakey on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   Front Brake Lever Adjustment Empty Re: Front Brake Lever Adjustment Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:45 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Blakey
I have already renewed the piston,spring and plunger washers, so hopefully it's just grot elsewhere. I hate riding knowing the lights on all the time.
Just wasn't sure if I could pull the lever out simply.
Here goes.
Ta mate.

4Back to top Go down   Front Brake Lever Adjustment Empty Re: Front Brake Lever Adjustment Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:29 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Blakey nailed it in one.
seems to be some old crud in there. I took the switch out and cleaned it and greased the end of the master cylinder piston. So far working as new. I need to get a tiny brush and paint grease all around the piston end just to be safe.
Another problem solved, wonder what'll turn up next.
Cheers. RT.

5Back to top Go down   Front Brake Lever Adjustment Empty Re: Front Brake Lever Adjustment Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:41 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
You are not going to believe this...just went for a ride and now my front brake switch is playing up!

That's freaking weird...

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   Front Brake Lever Adjustment Empty Re: Front Brake Lever Adjustment Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:21 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Don't worry there is a thread here somewhere if I can remember where it is.Ha.
Trouble with this is you don't know when it starts happening unless the missus waves you goodbye. Mine didn't notice anyway.
Good luck. RT

7Back to top Go down   Front Brake Lever Adjustment Empty Front Lever screw/bush removal Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:32 am

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
Hi Blakey, you mention in this post removing the Front Lever as "The lever pivots on a bolt. Take the nut and bolt off and wiggle your lever out." I wonder if the screw/bush that hold my lever in place are stripped or I'm not doing something right because the Allen Key just keeps spinning and nothing comes out. Even tried pulling with a wrench, nothing happened. At this point I'm afraid I'd torch the bolt if I go any further. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Chris

8Back to top Go down   Front Brake Lever Adjustment Empty Re: Front Brake Lever Adjustment Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:27 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmm ...i thought the pivot bolt was more a stud with a flat blade type slot on the top side and a 10 mm nut on the bottom of the assembly ....but would be called a bolt anyhow .....

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   Front Brake Lever Adjustment Empty Re: Front Brake Lever Adjustment Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:36 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome Chris!

This thread is about a 2V m/c,...by judging the picture you got a 4V, which got a different m/c.

The bolt rotates inside a stationary split bushing.
It isn`t any nut, the female threads is inside the lever.

When the bolt is unscrewed from the lever, the compressed split bushing still keeps in place..so it needs to be pulled out the last bit.

Front Brake Lever Adjustment Bremse10

10Back to top Go down   Front Brake Lever Adjustment Empty Front lever bolt woes Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:22 am

TSBT

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Inge!

I'll post a picture, maybe the bolt is too corroded to want to come out easily, unscrewing with the Allen key is terribly tight and squeaky. Might need some wd40? - always cautious of getting that stuff near other fluids. Perhaps vice grips and a good punch with a rubber mallet will knock it out the last bit?

Also when you see the photo and how much the brake fluid stripped the paint off the area around from the leakage, it might be telling...stay tuned for the photo and thanks again.

Chris

11Back to top Go down   Front Brake Lever Adjustment Empty Re: Front Brake Lever Adjustment Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:45 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I`ll guess it`s the split bush that got corroded and is the reason to the problem,
some WD40 or similar might help.

I`ve used a needle nose plier to pull it out the last part,
but sometimes it`s a problem to get it far enough out to get a grip.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum