BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty WTB: K100 fuel gauge Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:53 pm

wernwilk

wernwilk
Hi all,

I am in dire need for a fuel e unit, (also described as a fuel gauge).

BMW OEM # is 61311459047.  (Number 6 in the diagram below).

BMW report it as discontinued and out of stock at every dealer in the USA and Germany.  I have scoured the used market also, with no luck.

The current one I have leaks through the actual middle of the plastic gauge piece, it is not the gasket seal unfortunately.

Thanks.

WTB: K100 fuel gauge DisplayImage

2Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:34 pm

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member

3Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Fuel pump Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:01 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
If you can't see a crack or failure, there's a good chance your pump (edit, gauge, haven't had my coffee yet) is good. There's a few ducks that need to line up before installing this earlier type. There's a thread on this topic but I don't remember the name of it.

One of the problems in that case was that the pump edit gauge) was not installed at 90 degrees to its base, but was very slightly out.

Last edited by daveyson on Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

4Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:35 pm

wernwilk

wernwilk

Thanks, I just e-mailed them, (what withe 8 hour time difference).

As I said, there is no inventory with BMW in the USA or Germany but maybe there is in the UK.

Thanks for the suggestion.

5Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:36 pm

wernwilk

wernwilk
daveyson wrote:If you can't see a crack or failure, there's a good chance your pump (edit, gauge, haven't had my coffee yet) is good. There's a few ducks that need to line up before installing this earlier type. There's a thread on this topic but I don't remember the name of it.

One of the problems in that case was that the pump edit gauge) was not installed at 90 degrees to its base, but was very slightly out.

This is interesting....I mean I have the unit screwed in evenly at squarely with a brand new gasket also.....can you recall the details of the previous thread and the issue that was discussed?

Thanks.

6Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Fuel gauge Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:44 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
So parts are slowly coming back to me.

If this leak started after the gauge has been removed and replaced, then there might be something wrong with the installation.

I think in that case the seal was going in parallel to the threads so it bottomed out crooked, and wasn't fully seated, so then the nut wasn't fully home. Check if all the threads are engaged, maybe even post a photo.

I think he ran out of patience and sealed it up with epoxy, you don't want to do that. Also there was a problem with connecting the electrical plug, irrelevant for this thread.

7Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:10 pm

wernwilk

wernwilk
daveyson wrote:So parts are slowly coming back to me.

If this leak started after the gauge has been removed and replaced, then there might be something wrong with the installation.

I think in that case the seal was going in parallel to the threads so it bottomed out crooked, and wasn't fully seated, so then the nut wasn't fully home. Check if all the threads are engaged, maybe even post a photo.

I think he ran out of patience and sealed it up with epoxy, you don't want to do that. Also there was a problem with connecting the electrical plug, irrelevant for this thread.

I'm not sure if we have the same gauge in mind....mine is the long plastic screw in type that has one big plastic nut to seal it....not the base plate type...mine is #6 on the fiche below...someone else sent me details on how to get a replacement but alas it was for the different type?

I do appreciate the help though.

WTB: K100 fuel gauge DisplayImage

8Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Fuel gauge Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:32 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Yep we're talking about the same unit.
I found the thread, dunno how to do links, it's at the motobrick forum. It's called 1985 K100 fuel leak at sending unit - replaced the rubber gasket and it still leaks. I typed in something like BMW K100 fuel leak under tank daveson site:motobrick.com and it popped up.

You wouldn't think that a topic like this would go for three pages, but it did. Hopefully the answer might be there, or another thread, there's so many.

9Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:29 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Is this the part you are having trouble with?

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/fuel-level-sender-tak59047-1.html

Does it function properly as far as sending fuel level information? 

You seem to indicate that it is leaking.  Is that the only problem?  Have you inspected it closely for cracks or damage?  I have never owned a bike with that sender, but I have heard that they are somewhat fragile.  BMW hasn't stocked them for a while now which will make finding a new one a bit difficult.

If it isn't leaking past the gasket, and it isn't cracked, the leak may be around where the electrical connectors pass through the molded body.  It may be possible to repair, but it would depend on where and how bad the leak is, and so far you haven't been able to tell us much about it.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

10Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:36 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
daveyson wrote:I found the thread, dunno how to do links, it's at the motobrick forum. It's called 1985 K100 fuel leak at sending unit - replaced the rubber gasket and it still leaks.
This looks like it.

11Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:34 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
My money is on a crack under the nut where the connector shell joins the sender body.  The crack could be caused by an impact on the connector when the cable is attached. 

WTB: K100 fuel gauge Fuel_t10

The screwdriver is pointing at where I suspect the crack is located.  That top flange that retains the nut hides the crack from view.  If it were my sender, I would cut that flange off and remove the nut.  That will permit the part to be inspected and if there is indeed a crack will allow it to be repaired.

Removing that flange will also allow the sender to be offered up to the tank so you can see how the gasket is sealing and if the sender is being cocked to the side as it is inserted.

If there is a crack, I would repair it by opening it up and putting some JB weld in the opening.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

12Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Fuel gauge Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:03 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Laitch.

13Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:11 pm

wernwilk

wernwilk
daveyson wrote:Yep we're talking about the same unit.
I found the thread, dunno how to do links, it's at the motobrick forum. It's called 1985 K100 fuel leak at sending unit - replaced the rubber gasket and it still leaks. I typed in something like BMW K100 fuel leak under tank daveson site:motobrick.com and it popped up.

You wouldn't think that a topic like this would go for three pages, but it did. Hopefully the answer might be there, or another thread, there's so many.

awesome....thanks so much for the advice and sticking with it...I will be removing the flange as suggested in further replies...I will then see where the crack in the plastic is, (if that is the issue) and repair.

14Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:12 pm

wernwilk

wernwilk
Laitch wrote:
daveyson wrote:I found the thread, dunno how to do links, it's at the motobrick forum. It's called 1985 K100 fuel leak at sending unit - replaced the rubber gasket and it still leaks.
This looks like it.
Thanks so much for finding this....I really appreciate it.  I will review the thread asap.

15Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:14 pm

wernwilk

wernwilk
Point-Seven-five wrote:My money is on a crack under the nut where the connector shell joins the sender body.  The crack could be caused by an impact on the connector when the cable is attached. 

WTB: K100 fuel gauge Fuel_t10

The screwdriver is pointing at where I suspect the crack is located.  That top flange that retains the nut hides the crack from view.  If it were my sender, I would cut that flange off and remove the nut.  That will permit the part to be inspected and if there is indeed a crack will allow it to be repaired.

Removing that flange will also allow the sender to be offered up to the tank so you can see how the gasket is sealing and if the sender is being cocked to the side as it is inserted.

If there is a crack, I would repair it by opening it up and putting some JB weld in the opening.
This is great advice...thanks for doing this.  I will remove the flange and inspect.  I'm pretty certain that's where the issue lies....I'll keep you posted as to what I find so it may help future members.  Thanks again.

16Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:48 pm

wernwilk

wernwilk
Point-Seven-five wrote:Is this the part you are having trouble with?

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/fuel-level-sender-tak59047-1.html

Does it function properly as far as sending fuel level information? 

You seem to indicate that it is leaking.  Is that the only problem?  Have you inspected it closely for cracks or damage?  I have never owned a bike with that sender, but I have heard that they are somewhat fragile.  BMW hasn't stocked them for a while now which will make finding a new one a bit difficult.

If it isn't leaking past the gasket, and it isn't cracked, the leak may be around where the electrical connectors pass through the molded body.  It may be possible to repair, but it would depend on where and how bad the leak is, and so far you haven't been able to tell us much about it.
That's the correct part yes.

It does function properly.
I tried sealing the init where the wiring passes through the plastic body with 'seal all', (I have used this successfully on several other fuel systems where a little petrol proof sealant was required.

I am fairly sure that the issue isn't through the wires.  I will carefully remove the outer flange and nut...then I will be able to closely inspect the inner flange when its butted up against the tank spigot.  I'll let you all know how I get on.  Thanks again.

17Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Fuel gauge Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:34 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
When pressed against the inner flange, does the nut spin smoothly when turned, with the gasket removed?

It might be worth blowing compressed air through both sides in case there is some grit preventing a good seal.

I think now that the motobrick thread I referred to is a red herring. It's a safe bet that when assembling this unit, the nut was placed on the sender and then the electrical plug was pressed on. If the plug isn't exactly parallel to the sender, so what. It doesn't matter if the nut isn't parallel with the plug. But on second thoughts, I think his solution is worth considering, and he solved his leaking problem. It would at least get you going again, so you're not under time pressure, in case you still want to look for a replacement.

18Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:38 pm

wernwilk

wernwilk
daveyson wrote:When pressed against the inner flange, does the nut spin smoothly when turned, with the gasket removed?

It might be worth blowing compressed air through both sides in case there is some grit preventing a good seal.

I think now that the motobrick thread I referred to is a red herring. It's a safe bet that when assembling this unit, the nut was placed on the sender and then the electrical plug was pressed on. If the plug isn't exactly parallel to the sender, so what. It doesn't matter if the nut isn't parallel with the plug. But on second thoughts, I think his solution is worth considering, and he solved his leaking problem. It would at least get you going again, so you're not under time pressure, in case you still want to look for a replacement.
Thats a great idea....I'll have time to dig into it today...(USA California time), I'll report back..Thanks again.

19Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:26 am

wernwilk

wernwilk
Just an update, I carefully removed the outer flange/nut holder, then cleaned up all eh surfaces with a very fine file, then I lightly greased the rubber gasket.
I also cleaned all surfaces around the tank spigot etc.

I tried the inner flange up against the tank spigot and all looked nicely square and even, I then placed the gasket the nut on whilst ensuring nothing got crooked or out of square.

I couldn't see any cracks in either the nut or the actual gauge body flange, nothing opened up as i tightened down the nut.

I sat the tank supported on the workbench and left 3 gallons of gas in it overnight.
This morning i checked it to find ZERO leaks.....success!!!

I'm guessing there may have been a small imperfection in the plastic flange which was removed when I cleaned it all up.

All in all a great result.

I'll post back if anything goes awry during fitting the tank back on the bike and running it.

Thanks again everyone for your help with this issue.

20Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Fuel gauge Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:16 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Good work. Another solution for the archives.

21Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:29 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
cheers 

Thanks for letting us know about the outcome!

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

22Back to top Go down   WTB: K100 fuel gauge Empty Re: WTB: K100 fuel gauge Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:41 pm

wernwilk

wernwilk
Oh dear......well I'm back to update the results for the leaking fuel gauge ....I put the tank back together carefully and fired the bike up...with a couple of gallons of gas in the bike all was well....the bike ran with zero leaks.   It was like this for around 45 mins, when i to reattach the left hand fairing, I noticed the unit had started to drip gas again!!!!

After much swearing and remonstrating, I decided to drain the gas out and leave it for another day where calmer heads will prevail.

My plan is not to get another new gasket, recheck the dimensions as I have heard a rumor of someone experiencing this issue with a gasket that's I.D was off by few mm.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum