BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
This comes up every now and again, usually with an admonishment somewhere in the thread to not use plastic ones because the sideways pressure will eventually snap them. Curiosity got the better of me and I decided that I could afford to lose a tenner (£10) on a Curiosity Test. It didn't last long.

- the cheap ChingChing ones are ripoffs of the original Goodrich QD fittings
- they feel as if they are connecting well - some push needed to fit them together and they pop apart pretty smartly on the release button
- I mounted them both on new fuel lines on LFB
- They didn't get a chance to break. The moment that the slightest sideways pressure went onto the fittings they started leaking.

Conclusion: another ChingChing failure, not that I hadn't really expected it. Within a couple of hours I'd shelled out just short of £100 on a pair of genuine metal Goodrich ones.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
Interesting. I don't want to hijack your thread, Dai, but below is a post of mine from the BMW MOA website that I cut and pasted here. These are the metal ones I got from Beemer Boneyard.

As an addendum to my original post, I also believe that a side load, even on the metal ones, is not desirable because I believe it could possibly prevent the o-ring from sealing properly. The air plenum is directly behind the supply line connector but it is not pushing the coupler outwards. The correct length of the fuel lines is also critical so that the coupler connects securely. I mention that in my post.

The supply line coupler started to seep as soon as I repeatedly tapped the starter button, pressurizing the fuel system, and it continued to seep with the engine running. I shut it off and investigated. I have no desire to be Nicolas Cage in Ghost Rider!

The return line never had an issue. It does, however, run on the outer side of the air plenum and doesn't rest up against the one rad hose or run behind the radiator for its full length. Maybe this re-routing will help keep the fuel cooler?

This is what I ended up with. The return line required a 90 degree connector and re-routing. It is tie-wrapped to #2 throttle body so that it doesn't foul the throttle linkage, which it will if you don't somehow secure it.

My only concern after I first installed these was the supply line coupler leaking. The only thing I could figure out was that the length of the fuel line was critical so that the coupler securely connects. I believe I increased the lower section, which attaches to the fuel rail, by about 2mm. It hasn't leaked since but has left me with an uneasy feeling. Clearly, a fuel leak with a hot engine could lead to disaster, especially if I am riding.

I also installed a rubber grommet in the hole in the lower section of the fuel tank and will tie-wrap the return line to it, just so it stays put.

Fuel line quick connect/disconnect fittings QRIbJh

Fuel line quick connect/disconnect fittings Clear

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
What about these on Ebay? £29 eachFuel line quick connect/disconnect fittings S-l50010

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
JGT wrote:What about these on Ebay? £29 each
Single valve cut off, meaning that you'll still get sprayed with fuel when disconnecting. With a pressurised system like ours you need a dual valve cut off, which is why the Goodrich were so expensive (plus paying for the name of course!).

RS Rider wrote:As an addendum to my original post, I also believe that a side load, even on the metal ones, is not desirable because I believe it could possibly prevent the o-ring from sealing properly. The air plenum is directly behind the supply line connector but it is not pushing the coupler outwards. The correct length of the fuel lines is also critical so that the coupler connects securely. I mention that in my post.
I was careful to ensure that the hoses ran as they wanted to lie. The side pressure was barely there - a gentle poke with a finger made it instantly worse. Poor manufacture in that case, without a doubt.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
I have to admit that I am not 100% comfortable with the supply line to the fuel rail, only because of my initial issue, which has not reoccurred. But not struggling with the fuel lines to remove them and not having to drain the tank down is a bonus, even though that is not a regular event. A fellow on BMW MOA said he has had metal disconnects for about 40K miles with zero issues. Maybe I should stop worrying so much.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
If there's gas in the tank, do the fuel rail hose last and then you can just lean the tank against a wall with the front of the tank pointing up in order to keep gas from draining. That's what I do.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Find something to use as a plug and just plug the hose after removing the line from the rail. A suitable sized bolt will do the job.
Regards Martin.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
In my case I want to remove the tank while the fuel system is still pressurised. The engine won't fire properly, so I can't use the old trick of disconnect the fuel pump and use the rest of the fuel and I was getting really p*ss*d off with seeing puddles of very expensive fuel on the garage floor. Twice in the last couple of weeks the only thing that has saved me from fuel in the eye is a pair of glasses. The Goodrich QDs will be here tomorrow.

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
I Agree with Dai 
Dont use the BMW plastic ones.

I got a very wet leg when one let go replaced with the metal ones from Motorworks and all good

2004 F650 GS known as DACK-DACK

#### K100 RS Project 
2011 R1200 GS known as Big Blue 

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
How often do you guys remove the fuel tank?  Seriously, on Ilsa, my touring bike, I think the tank has totally been off maybe three times in 9 years and 46,000 miles.  The last time was probably 7 years ago, I can't really remember.  It was when I added the fuel cooler.

I put an extra length of fuel line on the tank connections so I can pull the tank back far enough to easily get to the ground connection and other connectors under the tank.  Now there is nothing under the tank that I can't get to without removing the tank.  It is possible to add about 6 inches to the lines and coil them up when the tank is in place.

A long time ago I had a bike burn up under me.  The leakage you are seeing is why I am afraid of those quick disconnects.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Overkill, let it depressurize and plug the line. I haven't had to remove my tank in the last 5 years. You can do a lot of miles on the money saved.
Regards Martin.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I can't wait ten-fifteen minutes between tank on and tank off. I'm still trying to diagnose why the damned ignition won't switch over between starter and HES at 710rpm, hence the need for the QDs so I can get in the relay box.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I have enough slack in the fuel lines so that I can just remove the clips and slde the tank back and lift up the rear. I then use a block of wood to chock it up.
Regards Martin.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:I have enough slack in the fuel lines so that I can just remove the clips and slde the tank back and lift up the rear. I then use a block of wood to chock it up.
Regards Martin.
That's how I do it.  I have a 6" chunk of a 2 x 4 that I stick under the tank.  Longer fuel lines give me a lot of room to move the tank around without having to disconnect them. 

I have no problem pulling the relays and messing about in my relay box.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Sponsored content