BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   here we go again! Empty here we go again! Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:58 pm

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Well I enjoyed the teardown and rebuild so much I think I will do it again! here we go again! Icon_rolleyes  About 150 miles after finishing up it has started to leak oil again. here we go again! Icon_eek Didn't notice until I left it on the side stand for about an hour. Came back and saw a drop on the pavement.  It is definitely engine oil.  The RMS I installed was a Teflon aftermarket from EME. Which rms do you folks recommend? Not sure what I screwed up yet but guess I will be at it again. Still riding it some but will be tearing it apart the end of the month. on the bright side it is as clean as  a pin and running smoother than it ever has for me. Bought a set of vacuum gauges and balanced the throttle bodies. Replaced the 2 vacuum caps and checked hoses. She just laid down with as smooth an idle as you can imagine. Power is up and it makes me smile!
The cool thing is I am not afraid of doing it this time.

2Back to top Go down   here we go again! Empty Re: here we go again! Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:09 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
You are worried about one drop of oil appearing after 150 miles of riding? Why not remove that oil from the floor and the transmission then find out how much it leaks after 300 miles? There might be no leak after that. Smile Next time, put it up on the center stand. If it's leaking from the seal or o-ring, it should leak in that position, too. Why do you believe the seal is leaking rather than the o-ring?

3Back to top Go down   here we go again! Empty Re: here we go again! Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:36 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Just put a cork in the weep hole. Problem solved.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   here we go again! Empty Re: here we go again! Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:46 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:Just put a cork in the weep hole. Problem solved.
Not bad! If he put a sponge in it though, the oil could be wrung out of it back into the crankcase. here we go again! 112350

5Back to top Go down   here we go again! Empty Re: here we go again! Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:49 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
I like the cork/sponge idea. Laughing  I do have it on the center stand most of the time. Honestly I haven't seen any drips while on the center stand. It did have oil more on it a bit later that eve. It sat all day yesterday on the center stand and I don't see any oil on the cardboard that is under it. I replaced the oring and the fluid doesn't smell like gear oil. I plan on riding it for a while and seeing how it does but I would have thought there would not be any oil coming out if it was correct. I didn't want to ruin the clutch plates with the oil. 

Thanks
Bill

6Back to top Go down   here we go again! Empty Re: here we go again! Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:44 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
here we go again! Img_2023
here we go again! Img_2024
This is what I am getting after around 100. Engine oil. Its performing great but the leak is a little worrisome. What do you guys think, Run it for the summer or tear into it again. This is also on the center stand.

7Back to top Go down   here we go again! Empty Re: here we go again! Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:39 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Ignore it. It isn't likely to suddenly dump the whole sump on you. One of mine (Low Flying Brick) leaks worse than that but has never increased the leak volume in over three years.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

8Back to top Go down   here we go again! Empty Re: here we go again! Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:06 pm

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
I agree Dai. At least for the summer. My worry was for the clutch. Just going to run it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum