BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Off-road protection Empty Off-road protection Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:39 pm

dalton47

dalton47
Hey everyone,

I've read a lot of posts here about the various crash protection bar options and their shortcomings. I have a BMW K100LT that I have taken on the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route 6 and plan to do some more adventure riding with it. I'd like to be able to protect it better for some low speed off-road drops. I realize this isn't exactly a standard way of utilizing this bike, but I've found that to be part of the fun. 

That said, I have recently applied the BSK SpeedWorks Engine Case Covers, but I'm not sure they will work all that well for off-road. I also switched to ProTaper bars because I plan on equipping the bike with HDB NextGen handguards

I was just curious of what else might be a worth while investment to get the bike more off-road/adventure ready. 

Thanks!

2Back to top Go down   Off-road protection Empty Re: Off-road protection Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:01 pm

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
OEM crash bars are craps. They don't even survive a crash when stopped, and when moving they create more problems than they avoid.

I use FEHLING crash bars on my K75GS.  They were available also for K100.
Simple, solid, they don't disturb maintenance operations except for valve case removal.
Off-road protection 20230519
Fehling is a german society who made bars for BMW. This model is not shown on its website anymore, but just ask...

I also use Bottelin Dumoulin crash bars on my K100.
Never tested them, but they seem to be very protective.
Off-road protection K100s10
The factory disappeard years ago and I doubt that you could find another set. But it can be inspiring.

3Back to top Go down   Off-road protection Empty Re: Off-road protection Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:41 pm

dalton47

dalton47
jbt wrote:OEM crash bars are craps. They don't even survive a crash when stopped, and when moving they create more problems than they avoid.

I use FEHLING crash bars on my K75GS.  They were available also for K100.
Simple, solid, they don't disturb maintenance operations except for valve case removal.
Off-road protection 20230519
Fehling is a german society who made bars for BMW. This model is not shown on its website anymore, but just ask...

I also use Bottelin Dumoulin crash bars on my K100.
Never tested them, but they seem to be very protective.
Off-road protection K100s10
The factory disappeard years ago and I doubt that you could find another set. But it can be inspiring.
Thanks for the information! Your K75GS was a big inspiration for wanting to keep my K100 for more off-road adventures. 

I had looked at the FEHLING crash bars, but wasn't able to find them anywhere. I guess it never occurred to me that I should reach out to them directly. I'll give it a shot!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum