BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Hi, everyone. It seems about time I introduced myself in this space. I just checked my profile and I've been registered since last May, but have only posted a couple times.

I've owned minibikes and motorcycles off and on since I was a kid, and had been riding a 1975 Honda CB550 for the last 18 years or so until getting my K75 two years ago. (That Honda is collecting dust now and getting a bit jealous.) It probably speaks to my relative inexperience with the K-bike that I do so much more reading and digesting here than posting. I trust this will change over time. . .

I want say that I'm extremely grateful to all who share problems and solutions in this forum. This really is the best english-language K bike forum that I've found--all are genuinely helpful and friendly.

My favorite parts are the 'how-to' and the tutorials. They've been very helpful to me, even though I ride a K75--many more similarities to the K100 than differences.

This forum has helped sustain me through a particularly long winter season of maintaining (and staring at) my bike. I confess to more than a bit of jealousy when reading about our friends in the Southern hemisphere and their long (never ending?) riding season. I live in upstate New York where we do have an abundance of terrific roads/terrain/scenery, until the roads get icy and salted.

Special thanks to Bert for the creation and care of this great resource!

Bob

Last edited by bobgass on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix signature)

1995 K75

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Bob. Thanks for the introduction.

http://www.fossilapostles.com

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
The grass is always greener on the other side!

Yes, for the most part, here in Oz we have year round riding conditions, but having seen snow only once, a change would be nice!
(Be careful what I wish for?)

Everbody has something to offer the forum.

Welcome.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hiya bob

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   A belated hello from a long-time lurker in Herkimer County Empty Greener Grass Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 pm

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Yeah, the grass is greener . . . no doubt.

I try to remember that we do enjoy a shorter, but intensely enjoyable riding season, and as I get older, I'm trying to find other, winter-oriented diversions to keep me busy. This spring I'm hoping to find an old snowmobile that I can keep going or restore. We live in close proximity to lots of sanctioned, groomed trails (and lots of open farmer's fields) that get lots of use when there is snow.

Bike is totally ready to go--just need to pull the trigger on new tires. Unfortunately, there is still no pressing hurry even for those. Roads will be salty and sandy for another month or two and not fit for safe riding (at least not the secondary roads).

I saw a nice price on some Dunlop D404s at bikebandit.com. Could these tires be as bad as their low price makes me fear? Anyone had any experience with these? I currently have ContiTours on the bike and can't complain, but the price on the Dunlops is very good.

Bob

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Bob, used to live in Ilion in the early 70's when I attended MVCC and used to ride the hills around there on my Honda CB500. Really remember the road north out of Ilion, a twistie dream! Just 2 months till riding season, can't wait.
Martin

The good news is, I no longer have senior moments. The bad news is, now it's a constant state of mind.

Bob, if you're an easy going rider who's looking for mileage, durability and decent enough handling the D404s will serve you well. They're a modern compound with a traditional tread pattern. The price is a bonus.

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

HI Bob

Like the bike, had our quota of snow this year spring is just round the corner, I hope Very Happy

BIG D

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Hi, all. Thanks for replies.

BIG D--Snow may be melting, but we've still got winter on the way. February does bring days of hope, though.

TWB--I'm an easy-going enough rider, and don't often threaten to rub the saddle bags on the ground. I figure at those prices, if they last 5000 miles or so, they're a bargain.

Brickee--Yep, the Ilion Gorge is a favorite. I have a friend who lives at the top of the gorge and dreads the crotch rockets tearing by his house all summer. The one in Frankfort is nasty too, some really sharp, off-camber switchbacks. Here's a video I shot last year going up the gorge out of Ilion.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice corners bob looks fun ........good post buddie

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
bobgass wrote: Here's a video I shot last year going up the gorge out of Ilion.

Dream road! thanks for this.

Recently, somebody posted 'This is the best English forum........'.
You said "going up the gorge", but in French when the bike is tilting forward, we call this way down. A belated hello from a long-time lurker in Herkimer County 259495

When are you planning to post the video of you going down (your up) the same road on roller blades?

Please don't start correcting my Frenglish because it will keep you busy for a long time! Razz

Bert

A belated hello from a long-time lurker in Herkimer County Frog15A belated hello from a long-time lurker in Herkimer County Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

12Back to top Go down   A belated hello from a long-time lurker in Herkimer County Empty First ride of the year . . . Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:00 pm

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
The video you saw shows the ride 'uphill', driving south out of the village of Ilion on NYS Rt. 51.

I should have shot that video going in the other direction, because the angle of the late afternoon sun didn't lend itself to a clear view of the road. It would have looked better with the light at my back. There are several other videos of bikes traveling the gorge on YouTube--some much clearer and faster than mine.

I thought about riding the gorge today--it was 58F this afternoon in CNY and I slid up the road for a mile or two on the bike then turned right back around for home. I think I logged 5 very windy miles.cheers I then had to wash off all the grey salt grime those few miles picked up. It was well worth it--a satisfying Friday evening activity. Now I'm fully ready for a spring that is still WAY too far off . . .

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bob,
Welcome to the team and great to have you around.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum