You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Aldi Sale Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:47 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Well,  

It is one again from this Wednesday coming to a store near you.  

Motorcycle helmets $79.99.  Three sizes available.  If you feel you have an eighty dollar head or perhaps you are a penny pinching pensioner, then now is the time to buy.  1 year warranty.  

Motorcycle covers $29.99.  Need a new cover and feeling, ahem, inadequate  Then don't worry they have you covered.  Two sizes available, Large and Extra Large.  

Need to carry more gear?  Then a range of tail and tank of bags are available $44.99.  These tank banks are magnetic, so no need for those pesky straps anymore.  For those that did not study the sciences or just feeling retarded today, then remember, that K bikes have aluminium tanks.  Will these work?  I'll give you a hint.  The answer starts with a, "N".  

Motorcycle Bluetooth headset $79.99.  Glove friendly and up to 1,200 m intercom range.  Want to keep in contact with your loved ones whilst out riding?  Perhaps not?  Then turn it off or stand 1,201 metres away.  1 year warranty.  

No gloves advertised this year.  

So wheredoyageddit?  Aldi*.  

Noendorsementimpliedorintended.  Theauthorreceivednofinancialincentivestoadvertisetheaboveproducts.  Stockmayvaryatyourlocalstore.  Pleasereadtermsandconditions.  

2Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:35 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
You know, I love it when people make snide remarks about helmet price related to what your head is worth. 

Spend what you like, but back in the late 60's when motorcycles began getting very popular and motorcycle injuries and fatalities were increasing at an alarming rate, California commissioned a study that was intended to guide standards for motorcycle safety equipment.

I recall it was written up in a fairly long article in one of the major cycle magazines of the day.  As a fairly new rider who already had one accident I was pretty interested in seeing what the study found.  I kept a copy of the article around for several years.

The study investigated thousands of accidents ranging from parking lot "fender benders" to highway fatalities.  Injuries were tabulated and cross referenced by operating factors(road conditions, lighting, speed, etc), safety gear(helmets, boots, jackets etc) and severity and location of injury. 

Among the other things the study found was that in the case of head injuries, the only correlation was whether or not the rider was wearing a helmet and the amount of coverage the helmet provided(full helmet vs. 3/4(cop) and "beanie" helmets).  Statistically, the study found NO correlation in the likelihood or severity of head injury to the brand or price of the helmet the rider was wearing.  It was more important that they were wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.  The only difference that was found in helmet materials and construction was a slightly higher resistance to pointed object penetration provided by fiberglass helmet shells vs molded plastic shells(and this was only found in a testing lab). 

The study's only real recommendation was that the most important factor related to helmets was that the rider should be wearing a properly fitted one, regardless of price.

The takeaway here is that if you think you are going to crash your head into a spear you should probably spring for the expensive fiberglass shell helmet.  Otherwise, save some of that money for fuel.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:17 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote: Spend what you like, but back in the late 60's when motorcycles began getting very popular and motorcycle injuries and fatalities were increasing at an alarming rate, California commissioned a study that was intended to guide standards for motorcycle safety equipment.
That might be a reference to the Hurt Report although the report was published in 1981.  It is summarized here. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation also has compiled resources to explore concerning the report and updates of research at this link.

4Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:31 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They might have some of my favourite socks, the long ones with L and R so I can ignore it and put them on either foot.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:44 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Once I bought one of these cheap helmets, not at Aldi but another low cost supermarket, LIDL. 30€ for a jet helmet for summer.
By the same time I had bought a Schuberth helmet, the top of the german quality helmet. 370€ for a flip up helmet for cold times.
The Shuberth suffered from all the defects a helmet could present. Everything broke in less than 6 months.
The no-name helmet lasted for years.
The head inside was the same.

6Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:19 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for posting that, Laitch.  It confirms what I said in my post above.

If you read all the way to the end you might stumble upon the following statement:

"A cheapo $70 helmet offers protection very close to what you get from a $300
helmet with similar coverage"

"How much is your head worth?" is marketing, pure and simple, for high margin premium brands.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

7Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:13 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Once you get past the various safety requirements it all comes down to preference (or penis envy Twisted Evil ). If it meets the safety requirements then yes, noname helmet A is as good as expensivebrand B (again, as long as it fits properly). I always go for a bloody expensive Shoei because it's the most comfortable helmet for me. AGV and Schuberth are the wrong shape and HJC are just too damn heavy.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

8Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:35 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
My $140 HJC helmet did the job for me and is still usable after I got thrown 50 feet(16m) when I was rear ended by a broad on her phone who was doing 75mph(120kph).  Couple scratches in the paint and a new face shield was the only damage.  That helmet and my Kilimanjaro jacket were the only things that survived.  Her car, my bike, boots and riding pants were all destroyed.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

9Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:42 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:If you read all the way to the end . . . It confirms what I said . . ..
No doubt. I started at the end and read up because the suspense was killing me.

10Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:34 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:They might have some of my favourite socks, the long ones with L and R so I can ignore it and put them on either foot.

I have skiing socks like that.  They usually are changed over when there is a hole in the toe.  

Good to see at least one other member here with a sense of humour  Smile

11Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:05 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Rick be warned a bloke had a major accident while wearing those socks. In the accident both his feet were severed. The surgeon reattaching his feet used the socks as a guide, unfortunately he was wearing them on the wrong feet.
Regards Martin.

12Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:48 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:Rick be warned a bloke had a major accident while wearing those socks. In the accident both his feet were severed. The surgeon reattaching his feet used the socks as a guide, unfortunately he was wearing them on the wrong feet.
Regards Martin.
That definately sounds like something the Aussies would do.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

13Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:55 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
It was a Irish surgeon.
Regards Martin.

14Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:59 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Aldi Sale 39723

15Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:17 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Aldi Sale 652573

16Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:01 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Socks.....socks ??? Around here if you are under 30 years of age you don't need socks. No boots....only thongs.
In Australia thongs are made of rubber and you wear them on your feet. bounce

17Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:28 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
AKA "Flip flops"

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

18Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Aldi Sale Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:10 am

Pegasus

Pegasus
Silver member
Silver member
TacKler wrote:Well,  

Motorcycle helmets $79.99.  Three sizes available.  If you feel you have an eighty dollar head or perhaps you are a penny pinching pensioner, then now is the time to buy.  1 year warranty.  

Motorcycle covers $29.99.  Need a new cover and feeling, ahem, inadequate  Then don't worry they have you covered.  Two sizes available, Large and Extra Large.  

Need to carry more gear?  Then a range of tail and tank of bags are available $44.99.  These tank banks are magnetic, so no need for those pesky straps anymore.  For those that did not study the sciences or just feeling retarded today, then remember, that K bikes have aluminium tanks.  Will these work?  I'll give you a hint.  The answer starts with a, "N".  

Motorcycle Bluetooth headset $79.99.  Glove friendly and up to 1,200 m intercom range.  Want to keep in contact with your loved ones whilst out riding?  Perhaps not?  Then turn it off or stand 1,201 metres away.  1 year warranty.  

Noendorsementimpliedorintended.  Theauthorreceivednofinancialincentivestoadvertisetheaboveproducts.  Stockmayvaryatyourlocalstore.  Pleasereadtermsandconditions.  
I bought one of the bike covers, after my idiot son manged to run over the (unclipped) bottom strap clips with the lawnmower. My 2 bikes are temporarily being stored outside whilst I do a big cleanup of 20+ years of hoarding away parts. When I got divorced, basically all I got was the contents of a 60x30m shed. There are boxes of parts I hurriedly put away downstairs, but have never again seen the light of day.

19Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:11 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Pegasus wrote:
TacKler wrote:Well,  

I bought one of the bike covers, after my idiot son manged to run over the (unclipped) bottom strap clips with the lawnmower. My 2 bikes are temporarily being stored outside whilst I do a big cleanup of 20+ years of hoarding away parts. When I got divorced, basically all I got was the contents of a 60x30m shed. There are boxes of parts I hurriedly put away downstairs, but have never again seen the light of day.

Aldi Sale 112350

20Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:42 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I've ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on K bikes without a helmet. As long as you don't crash it is not an issue.  

Got my MC endorsement in 86 and there's a very high likelihood that I'll die from a stroke, seizure or heart attack before I die from not wearing a helmet.

The only thing that really scares ne at this point my riding career is deer or elk.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

21Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:57 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:I've ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on K bikes without a helmet. As long as you don't crash it is not an issue. 
Were you wearing a helmet when you have crashed? Smile

22Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:54 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Both of my crashes were unplanned spur of the moment surprises that were instigated by other drivers.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

23Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:03 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Both of my crashes . . .
My question was addressed to duck for scientific reasons but your adventures and resilience have long been admired during tales told around campfires at the close of daylong rides worldwide, Point-Seven-five.  cheers  

I'll just add here the following PSA. 

When traveling, either helmeted or helmet-less, in a highway environment populated by vehicle operators distracted by music, phone chat, angry and righteous political blogs, YouTube and TikTok shorts depicting gifted noodle-makers, gifted parkour competitors, gifted shuffle dancers, gifted rope jumpers, gifted trampoline acrobats, gifted hairy and hairless weight lifters and countless other talented earthlings who have monumental accomplishments developed by application of determination and hard work, it is not a good idea for any reason to swing into the fast lane of a multi-lane expressway then slow down.

That concludes this PSA. Laughing

24Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:18 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
duck wrote:I've ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on K bikes without a helmet. As long as you don't crash it is not an issue. 
Were you wearing a helmet when you have crashed? Smile

I would be interested to know from those who ride without a helmet, what do you do in cold weather or when it is raining?  As the human body can lose up to 40% of the body heat through the head, I would expect the comfort factor to decrease in those conditions. 

Or is the only option to ride in warm and sunny conditions?

25Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:03 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
TacKler wrote:Or is the only option to ride in warm and sunny conditions?
Those conditions help, but the proliferation of flying insects during them probably is handled by making pinholes for breathing in a freezer bag and placing it over your head.

26Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Further question About MC Helmet Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:02 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
I do appreciate the thread drift and would like to ask if anyone has seen studies made about how old a helmet is making a difference? One thing that I've been beaten up by is whether or not an aging helmet is more dangerous. I've heard a number of opinions about a dropped helmet being less protective due to possibly damaging the outer shell. And I've also heard opinions about the Styrofoam of the inner aging and posing a greater risk to the wearer. Any solid studies about that?

27Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:03 am

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
ride without a helmet , this is something i have done quite a lot , but anything over 30/40 mph and im happy to put my helmet back on , its just no fun , i can see the safety aspect for waring one , having said that good mates who had the last two accidents , one is dead and one may as well be , both waring full face helmets , if your going over @30mph in the city chances are you will hit the curb and its not good .  Crying or Very sad

28Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:17 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
TacKler wrote:As the human body can lose up to 40% of the body heat through the head, I would expect the comfort factor to decrease in those conditions.
Ah. That's a long-standing fallacy which has been discredited. Purely by accident some time ago I happened to come across the origins of that belief. It was a series of tests done back in the 1950s by the US Army on heat loss from the human body. Unfortunately the test for heat loss through the head was done with the rest of the body fully clothed (!!!!!!!!!!!!) and no hats, so of course the major heat loss was going to go that way. There's even a picture of the test under way with everyone wearing bright orange oversuits.

[Edit]. Here we go: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour. The relevant bit:

"The myth is thought to have arisen through a flawed interpretation of a vaguely scientific experiment by the US military in the 1950s. In those studies, volunteers were dressed in Arctic survival suits and exposed to bitterly cold conditions. Because it was the only part of their bodies left uncovered, most of their heat was lost through their heads."

That's why I remember the bright orange jumpsuits.

29Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:27 am

Porto

Porto
Silver member
Silver member
Love my Aldi flip up helmet and plastic nuckle gloves. Got the underwear aswell. Passes the European standard. I'm on my second one now, replace each year. I've never found any of the more expensive helmets ⛑ I've owned any better. On another note I just purchased an 09 F800st. Beautiful bike but rough as, compared to the K. Now I have all three R K and F. The K's do really laugh at all others for smoothness. All keepers

https://gpleather.com

30Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:
TacKler wrote:As the human body can lose up to 40% of the body heat through the head, I would expect the comfort factor to decrease in those conditions.
Ah. That's a long-standing fallacy which has been discredited. Purely by accident some time ago I happened to come across the origins of that belief. It was a series of tests done back in the 1950s by the US Army on heat loss from the human body. Unfortunately the test for heat loss through the head was done with the rest of the body fully clothed (!!!!!!!!!!!!) and no hats, so of course the major heat loss was going to go that way. There's even a picture of the test under way with everyone wearing bright orange oversuits.

[Edit]. Here we go: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour. The relevant bit:

"The myth is thought to have arisen through a flawed interpretation of a vaguely scientific experiment by the US military in the 1950s. In those studies, volunteers were dressed in Arctic survival suits and exposed to bitterly cold conditions. Because it was the only part of their bodies left uncovered, most of their heat was lost through their heads."

That's why I remember the bright orange jumpsuits.

You big party pooper, Dai.

31Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:42 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
The way I read it is that the heat loss from your head is a smaller part of the body's total heat loss only when you are riding naked.  I doubt many of us actually do that.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

32Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:30 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
This controversial percentage-of-body-heat-loss claim (being gleefully being debunked by references in this thread) is also in the 2002 US Army Survival manual, published in a year not particularly ancient, to me anyway. That manual is so new it even contains references to Gore-Tex, which was only a dry-dream—so to speak—of Gore's in the Fifties. Smile In section 15-9, it explains that the heat loss figures actually do relate to an unprotected head in frigid weather. It also explains the mechanisms briefly. There's no government failure there.  Sad   Of course, that would be the case as already deduced by the intelligentsia, but to recruits from all walks of life, varying regional climates and differing intellectual capacities, it would be vital to drive home the importance of head and neck protection in frigid weather.  I still see bald guys with hankies walking around and sneezing in frigid weather here so, undoubtedly, more promotional work needs to be done.  Laughing

To successfully debunk this heat loss claim, the amount of heat loss from person's body during the wearing of cold-protection clothing with and without head and neck covering during frigid weather would need to be established during field conditions. There is a grant opportunity for somebody who likes cold weather. Of one thing I'm certain, when a brain is chilled, reasoning takes a holiday and Death comes along for the ride. The percentage of body discomfort flies out the window. cheers

Let's return to debunking fuel line sales claims, where the footing might possibly be firmer. Smile

Last edited by Laitch on Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : "also" insertion)

33Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:31 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
TacKler wrote:
You big party pooper, Dai.
Aldi Sale 44271 Aldi Sale 44271 Aldi Sale 44271 Aldi Sale 44271

34Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:01 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
S l i g h t l y different take on this topic, but hey..
I dunno about the pros and cons of helmet wearing, because the government has made our minds up for us on that one here in the UK, so we have no choice.
But, laid on your back, full leathers, helmet on, visor down, is the comfiest way to sleep  Smile

35Back to top Go down   Aldi Sale Empty Re: Aldi Sale Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:36 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Suzi Q wrote:S l i g h t l y different take on this topic, but hey..
I dunno about the pros and cons of helmet wearing, because the government has made our minds up for us on that one here in the UK, so we have no choice.
But, laid on your back, full leathers, helmet on, visor down, is the comfiest way to sleep  Smile
Absolutely!  

I thought I was the only one.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250