BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Speedo gears disintegrated  Empty Speedo gears disintegrated Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:21 pm

kappy1027

kappy1027
Silver member
Silver member
I'm certain that this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find anything.

My speedometer works, but my odometer does not. I took it apart and found that at least two of the gears had pretty much turned to powder mixed with the grease that BMW used to lube said gears. I've seen gears for sale, but I don't know which ones I need to order (because I cannot count the teeth on the  originals). I know someone can help me, as always.

Thanks in advance, Kirk

I have a friend coming to visit in 2 weeks, hopefully they aren't coming from Australia or anything like that.

Still in Nicaragua, still loving the K.

2Back to top Go down   Speedo gears disintegrated  Empty Re: Speedo gears disintegrated Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:55 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Take a look at this post from a long-time member then read the others in the thread afterward.

3Back to top Go down   Speedo gears disintegrated  Empty Re: Speedo gears disintegrated Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:26 pm

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
kappy1027 wrote:I'm certain that this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find anything.

My speedometer works, but my odometer does not. I took it apart and found that at least two of the gears had pretty much turned to powder mixed with the grease that BMW used to lube said gears. I've seen gears for sale, but I don't know which ones I need to order (because I cannot count the teeth on the  originals). I know someone can help me, as always.

Thanks in advance, Kirk

I have a friend coming to visit in 2 weeks, hopefully they aren't coming from Australia or anything like that.

Still in Nicaragua, still loving the K.

US spec or non-US spec? So, MPH or KPH speedo? The gear sets are different. Mine is MPH and I took photos when I did mine, so I can help.

4Back to top Go down   Speedo gears disintegrated  Empty Re: Speedo gears disintegrated Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:25 pm

kappy1027

kappy1027
Silver member
Silver member
MPH. Thanks. Just need to know what to order and where from.

5Back to top Go down   Speedo gears disintegrated  Empty Re: Speedo gears disintegrated Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:09 pm

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
kappy1027 wrote:MPH. Thanks. Just need to know what to order and where from.

I ordered mine from odometergears.com They aren't cheap, but that's where I purchased mine. Others have sourced gears elsewhere. Perhaps they will post and offer an alternate source for less money.

If you order from odometergears you'll need the 4-gear set for US spec R & K Motorcycles as yours is in MPH. Here are a couple of photos for you.

Speedo gears disintegrated  Odomet10
Speedo gears disintegrated  Odomet11

6Back to top Go down   Speedo gears disintegrated  Empty Re: Speedo gears disintegrated Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:54 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I stumbled across these quite a few years ago on Aliexpress. Four sets of 58 gears from Aliexpress cost me just under $20.00 Au. Dan (StandardK) actually does the making up of the gear trains and does a brilliant job. The dual gears have to be glued and pinned together. A lot of the gears are useless and have to be discarded, I normally donate the unused ones. There are quite a few of the K Kronies running Dans rebuilt gear trains and nobody has had a failure. I was told by an industrial chemist that these gears contain Teflon so should last, probably a lot longer than the OEM. Dans how to https://www.k100-forum.com/t16244-rebuilding-a-k-odometer-using-inexpensive-eby-gears-a-roughguide   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32719359552.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.19.5ec01802ACoOt6
Regards Martin.
Speedo gears disintegrated  20230827

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum