BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Nortondave

Nortondave
So my fuel feed hose split by the jubilee clip on the injector rail, easy fix just cut a bit off and reconnect. Is it normal that after I reconnected the hose and started engine it dumped a reasonable amount of fuel out an over flow hose down by the centre stand? What makes me nervous about that is I'd recently fitted a new fuel pump in the tank and I'm wondering have I mixed up a breather hose and over flow hose? Or is it simply when I disconnected then re fitted the fuel feed line it allowed air in the line and the pressure pushed the fuel out the over flow? Also worth saying I had a pretty full tank.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
What you're describing isn't normal in my experience. What is a reasonable amount of fuel anyway—a milliliter? If you managed somehow to connect a hose from the fuel return port to the vapor evacuation/overflow port, that would likely send fuel to the ground while the engine was running. 

On a tangent, are you using round-edged fuel injection clamps on your fuel lines?
Fuel dumping out overflow by centre stand Scree296

Nortondave

Nortondave
A lot more than a mililitre, a small pool of petrol.It did it while running but stopped after a moment. I should add that since this happened I've done a couple of hundred K/ms with no apparrent trouble.Take your point about the clip, mine is not rounded edge. 

If you managed somehow to connect a hose from the fuel return port to the vapor evacuation/overflow port, that would likely send fuel to the ground while the engine was running. 

If I had done this wouldn't it pump fuel out continuously?

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Just about now you'd be walking around going 'eh?' because if you reverse the fuel feed it either won't start or gives an almightly backfire and then won't start. Also, are you sure it was the overflow hose and not the exhaust pipes to silencer joints?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
If you managed somehow to connect a hose from the fuel return port to the vapor evacuation/overflow port, that would likely send fuel to the ground while the engine was running. 

If I had done this wouldn't it pump fuel out continuously?
As I indicated, fuel would pump out until the engine was shut down. Without your fully explaining the circumstances, it was difficult for me to understand what was happening. You have succeeded now in penetrating my reasoning's thorny defenses. cheers As Dai indicates, verify the leak's source.

If there is a flapper assembly in the fuel filler opening, filling the tank to its ceiling is difficult but possible; fuel will start to flow from the opening before the tank fills completely, but you could keep filling and attempt to meet the challenge.  Laughing If there is no flapper assembly, filling to the ceiling is not difficult but room for effective fuel vapor expansion is limited so tank pressure can increase until the fuel level drops sufficiently. If the tank was filled almost to its ceiling and was hot from riding, tank fuel pressure could push fuel into the evacuation port until tank pressure stabilized. If fuel cap ventilation is compromised, that could contribute to tank pressure.

It doesn't seem like a big deal, at least from here it doesn't. It has stopped leaking. Smile Enjoy riding until it leaks again. Use proper fuel injection hose clamps on pressure lines to forestall a fiery squirt or loss of fuel pressure from line leaks within the tank.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum