BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Rolf E Introduction Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:11 pm

Rolf E

Rolf E
Thank you Crazy frog for the intro. Much appreciated.

I stay in Pretoria South Africa and have been riding the K100RS since 1986. First the 8v model and now the 16v 1991 K100RS which I purchased in 1996. I have done many trips and km's in SA and Namibia and still love my K as I did the first day I got it. This bike is 100% and everything functional.

All maintenance and repairs I do myself. A few years ago I purchased, for spares, another 1991 K100RS which was in an accident. During COVID, I decided to restore it. I got it running very well but the cosmetics still needs to be done. A lot of used parts family brought back from Germany.

This year I managed to pick-up another one, in good condition but needing a lot of tlc. Like ABS, vibration, cracked hoses, hard o-rings, high fuel consumption...lights. I got onto the forum by searching for info on resetting and testing the ABS components. I got some info but am still stuck so I'll be busy with that coming 2024.

All in all I now have three 1991 K100 RS, one charcoal and 2 Pearl White.

Kind regards and blessings for 2024.

Rolf Eggers

https://www.teuntin.co.za

2Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:19 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
WelKome to the forum, Rolf. It is good to hear you are engaged in restoring the early K bikes. We're glad to have you here.

After a few more posts you'll be able to post images and gain access to the technical pages for members. When you get a mo', pop onto the Forum's Main Page, go to Profile, then Signature, and enter the year and models of the bikes you have. This, of course, makes it easier for other members to assist you in whatever issue you're facing.

Best,
Daz
aka TWB

1977 R75/7-100, '93 K11/K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100 Mystic, '96 K1100RS, 2 x '98 K1200RS, '06 K1200R & '09 K1300GT. Projects: 1993 & '96 K1100RS, & one '98 K1200RS. The R100 Mystic, K11/12 Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K1200R & K1300GT are running, rego'd & ridable.

3Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:29 pm

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
hello Rolf
Rolf E Introduction 177912

Rolf E Introduction 9438-010

4Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:19 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Rolf E Introduction 177912 So you've got a large dose of K-pox then? Many of us have the disease! Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

5Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:25 am

Arlina

Arlina
Welcome Rolf Smile

6Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:52 am

fishboy316

fishboy316
Life time member
Life time member
Hello Rolf. Definitely K-pox!

7Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:27 pm

Rolf E

Rolf E
... and looks like there is not cure for K-pox. 

Don't have a problem with that.  lol!

8Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:51 am

Curley

Curley
Silver member
Silver member
Rolf E Introduction 177912
Welcome Rolf! Looks like you have been infected by K Pox like many of us!

Below is a doc for ABS 1 Troubleshooting that i use. Its pretty detailed and easy to follow.

ABS 1
Let me know if you cant open it and i can mail you a copy. For some reason i am not able to attach the doc here!

cheers  White K100RS 1991  cheers Red K1100LT SE 1995 cheers Green K75RT 1995 cheers Black K75s 1987  cheers

9Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:09 pm

Rolf E

Rolf E
Thank you very much Curley,

I managed to download and see I'll need a BMW tester. and diagnostic. That I don't have. Any way around that? But I'll still study the doc.

10Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:23 am

Bernie_K100

Bernie_K100
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi Rolf,

Rolf E Introduction 177912 to our community!

Bernie

11Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:21 pm

Rolf E

Rolf E
Looking for a dual bike (on off road). Today had a look at a 1996 K75 Ultima that is up for sale. Seems in not too bad condition but I'll need some guidance as this is the first time that I looked at, in detail, and rode the 75. I have been riding the K100RS for about 38 years. 

Its the naked Ultima with no frills. Basic and just about the same as the first 75s. The front mudguard is like my RS, in two pieces, and not solid as with the earlier versions. It has the three spoke wheels.

I must say the ride was totally different to the RS. I found it a little unstable or more difficult to handle. Nowhere near the power and speed but comfortable and NO VIBRATION. mmm For off road will need some getting used to. Off road ... trans Africa.

The mini fairing is too close to my head and interferes when wanting to place the bike on the centre stand or standing. The water pump is making a humming noise which, according to the seller, has done so for a very long time. All brake discs need replacing. Are there aftermarket available? Charge light is on dim, and the red warning light was on but went off after a while. Front tyre will need replacing as well as the battery. Clutch takes right at the very end and there is a lot of play on the throttle twist grip, Choke or fast idle is not working. Needed to top up with coolant and pump the tyres.

How can I show some photos?

12Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:31 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
EBC makes K brake rotors and I'm pretty sure that Motobins also has rotors.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

13Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:41 am

Rolf E

Rolf E
Rolf E Introduction 20240110
Rolf E Introduction Ultima11
Rolf E Introduction Ultima10

14Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:37 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
It is a K75 Basic model with a low seat, City panniers, crash bars and the large clear screen specific to that model and the K100 Basic.  I think this model was called the K75T in some markets.  The handle bars I think were also specific to that model and were slightly different to the 75C bars.  

It also has the R series hand guards fitted as well which I have those on one of my 75s.  It is clean and tidy which is a good sign.  Are there any leaks from underneath the water pump, as there is a drain there (about 4mm) which if not dry will give and indication of a water pump overhaul.  As you live in Pretoria at altitude and away from the coast, there is no corrosion on the engine, gearbox and final drive.  

I have ridden a red one of that model around Europe about then years ago and found that I did not really like the screen although it did keep the cold off.  

It's a keeper.

15Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:02 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Rolf E wrote:Looking for a dual bike (on off road). Today had a look at a 1996 K75 Ultima that is up for sale. Seems in not too bad condition but I'll need some guidance as this is the first time that I looked at, in detail, and rode the 75. I have been riding the K100RS for about 38 years. 

Its the naked Ultima with no frills. Basic and just about the same as the first 75s. The front mudguard is like my RS, in two pieces, and not solid as with the earlier versions. It has the three spoke wheels.

I must say the ride was totally different to the RS. I found it a little unstable or more difficult to handle. Nowhere near the power and speed but comfortable and NO VIBRATION. mmm For off road will need some getting used to. Off road ... trans Africa.

The mini fairing is too close to my head and interferes when wanting to place the bike on the centre stand or standing. The water pump is making a humming noise which, according to the seller, has done so for a very long time. All brake discs need replacing. Are there aftermarket available? Charge light is on dim, and the red warning light was on but went off after a while. Front tyre will need replacing as well as the battery. Clutch takes right at the very end and there is a lot of play on the throttle twist grip, Choke or fast idle is not working. Needed to top up with coolant and pump the tyres.

How can I show some photos?

I understood the K75 Ultima had the full works as in full RT/LT fairing, LT screen etc, ABS, panniers etc. so do pop up a photo when you can. I made attmepts to buy one at one stage but the one I looked at had a dud rear main seal and the price didn't reflect that so I left. Nice bike though and turbine smooth.

On to parts. I buy my stuff from two sources that are very good value www.kpartsholland.com are very good for used parts and also some new parts. There is also www.tills.de for new parts. For brakes EBC discs from Tills have been the cheapest I got for my K1100LT which will be same as your 91 K100RS. If you are looking for fairing parts K75RT K100RT K100LT fairing parts including the storage boxes and leg panels are all the same and interchangeable.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

16Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:00 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Attached are photos of the Ultima—the last of the K75 models. Produced in a limited production run, the silver with blue pin-striping seems to be its signature color scheme.

Rolf E Introduction Img_1710Rolf E Introduction Img_1711

This photo is an extract from an Ultima catalog offered by Bayer Motorrad.
Rolf E Introduction Scree303

17Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:34 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
TacKler wrote:It is a K75 Basic model with a low seat, City panniers, crash bars and the large clear screen specific to that model and the K100 Basic.  I think this model was called the K75T in some markets.

It's a keeper.
Definitely a keeper. cheers I have that model but it has a standard-height seat. I removed the windscreen and swapped the RT handlebar that was on it for a sidecar handlebar. The original seat was modified with custom honeycomb-structured foam within it that makes riding for hours more comfortable than the stock seat. For the 10 years I've owned it, this Brick has been a trooper over the rough roads I often ride and has never mutinied. Laughing

18Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:04 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
TacKler wrote:It is a K75 Basic model with a low seat, City panniers, crash bars and the large clear screen specific to that model and the K100 Basic.  I think this model was called the K75T in some markets.  The handle bars I think were also specific to that model and were slightly different to the 75C bars.  

The K75T came with a standard K100 headlight and was available from BMW NA.(North America)

Rolf E Introduction K75t.h3

It was a K75C with a C/Standard handlebars, windscreen, the K100 headlight and luggage. BMW NA did it to have a K75 model for LD touring. BMW NA stopped selling them in 1990 when the K75C went out of production and the K75RT came out.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

19Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:31 pm

Rolf E

Rolf E
Thanks for the encouragement and all the info.! Very Happy  A trooper, I like that.

I see your bike Duck has side covers but the one I looked at just a clip-on tank / side cover with a centre bolt. Not sure if that means that the tanks differ? The tank does not seem to have the rubber grommet holes that hold the side covers in place?

20Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:08 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Rolf E wrote:Thanks for the encouragement and all the info.! Very Happy  A trooper, I like that.

I see your bike Duck has side covers but the one I looked at just a clip-on tank / side cover with a centre bolt. Not sure if that means that the tanks differ? The tank does not seem to have the rubber grommet holes that hold the side covers in place?
The tank is not different, the seat is. 

K75, K75C and K75S bikes do have a different tank from other Ks though. Those K75s don't have side cover grommets on the tank. Only k100s and K75RTs.

Low seat vs. regular seat:
https://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/regseat/regseat.htm

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

21Back to top Go down   Rolf E Introduction Empty Re: Rolf E Introduction Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:48 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Rolf E wrote:. . . the one I looked at just a clip-on tank / side cover with a centre bolt. Not sure if that means that the tanks differ? The tank does not seem to have the rubber grommet holes that hold the side covers in place?
To elaborate further from duck's post:
The side cover with a center bolt is half of a two-piece low seat assembly. It is part #1 in this drawing and indicated by the left arrow in the photo. This side cover is used exclusively with the low seat that is indicated by the right arrow in the photo. Low seats were designed to accommodate riders with legs shorter than those BMW considered average. Standard seats can replace low seats if parts are available.

Rolf E Introduction Scree304

Rolf E Introduction Ultima10

My Brick has a standard height seat. Its side cover is attached to the cowl by a post at its rear that slide into a hole in the rear cowl (left arrow). A  flat spring with a slight radius in its length is designed to be  inserted into a bracket on the inside of the cover. The spring's radius bears onto a padded post welded to the frame behind the cover (center arrow). Two flat tabs molded into the top of the side cover are fit behind a flange on the lower side of the tank by pushing down on the cover then pushing the side cover tabs behind the flange and releasing the downward tension on the spring. The assembly is held in place by tension on both the tank's flange and the spring's tension on the frame post.
Rolf E Introduction 1995_k10

Finding undamaged examples of side covers I have described is difficult in the USA. They aren't in stock at MaxBMW where I do my parts buying. Get acquainted with MaxBMW's parts fiche to help you identify the parts you're encountering.

Last edited by Laitch on Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Reducing post value by 1000 words)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum