BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jspald

I'm replacing the original throttle cable on my bike. The replacement cable is different from the original cable and won't fit properly in the bottom bracket (not the butterfly end). Do I need to replace the part that the cable runs through (it's behind the carbs)? How do I get at it? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Jeff

whhoon

whhoon
good afternoon Jeff

I just went through this myself, yes the bracket on the back side of the throttle bodys is different . I can't seem to locate my invoice so can't help with the number.I went ahead and pulled the air filter box out.
Not too bad a job

docious

I just recently purchased a 1985 K100RT and the throttle cable that came with the bike did not fit in the bracket down by the intake. I went to my local beemer shop and they ordered me the "correct cable", which ended up being the same one I had. Any ideas or part numbers to make this set up work? whhoon where did you get your new plate from?

I am new to BMWs and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Your friendly neighbourhood BMW dealership parts guru can look up a copy of the bulletin which shows the updated TB end bracket and order those additional parts for you.

Welcome to the forum. When you get a mo' jump over to the the 'member's introduction' page and tell us a bit about your very own bad moto riding self. We like pics of the bike too.

Cheers.

PS, Aaron at South Sound knows what he's doing! I no longer know who's working parts at Ride West.

Last edited by Guest in the House on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
motobins in britain has all the right bits and a good online catalogue with pics ....but they dont spec the part numbers or lookup tables

the breif description is often all you need of what bracket fits what cable

check it out

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I picked an early 'archive' catalogue K100RT. Here's the updated bits from www.realoem.com:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0514&mospid=51754&btnr=32_0773&hg=32&fg=73

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Beside GITH`s info, this document might also help a bit...?

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Inge K. wrote:Beside GITH`s info, this document might also help a bit...?

You do know the tricks!

You see, in a BMW dealership if a part is asked for by number then that's what you get, but if the parts person is engaged (not to be married, silly) in the brain, he or she will know how to interpret the catalogue and ask questions to get you right part. Of course, if he or she is young then a 1985 K bike will be ancient history and possibly not of critical interest. To be fair, the catalogue does spell it out and all the person had to do, assuming they looked it up and knew what year/model it was, was look for the required info. It's right there spelt out for them, or a bulletin is needed such as Inge has so thoughtfully provided. We used to keep a big blue hole-punched book full of them by catalogue section and it only took a mo' to locate the info. Nowadays it's on the 'puter, but again, you've gotta look for it.

But does the customer always know what's been updated prior to them owning the bike? Not always, so that's why questions have to be asked, and at the end of the day, it takes a person with at least a modicum of experience and who takes a more personal interest. I pride myself on sourcing the right part first time, but yet I still make a mistake now and again.

"Let's get this bloody oldie outta the way so we can move onto selling some fancy schmancy $1200 riding jacket, $900 Shoei helmet or a paddock stand for an S1000RR!"

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I had to ring BMW Australia to get info about my brothers R80G/S PD because the frame number was to the Russian authorities in Vladivostic a bit strange.
The number has a BMW logo stamped at each end of the number and in the middle and the number is a pre VIN 12 digit number. they were reading the logo as a zero.
Each time I spoke to one of the mugs and quoted the number they would say but the VIN has 17 digits what are the last 6. I would reply that the bike is 1986 and VIN was not used in Oz till 1987 upon which I was transfered to another fool only to explain all over again.
It took 5 transfers to find someone who knew and he sent an email to my brother explaining it to the Russians.
Sometimes I wonder if there is anyone over 25 working in those places.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
That would have been a major frustration! Travelling in Russia too.

Didn't we recently have a forum member who had a non-17 digit VIN and had owned it for yonks, had all the previously approved importation papers, and yet his insurance company wouldn't recognise the VIN?! It's like nothing happened before the 17 digit VIN. What did we do in 1979 in the US/Canada, or 1987 in OZ?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah there was a few frantic phone calls on Wednesday morning as the Russians were saying the number was not the same as on the rego form but apparently its sorted as I have heard nothing more so they must be on the move.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Guest in the House wrote:

You see, in a BMW dealership if a part is asked for by number then that's what you get, but if the parts person is engaged (not to be married, silly) in the brain, he or she will know how to interpret the catalogue and ask questions to get you right part. Of course, if he or she is young then a 1985 K bike will be ancient history and possibly not of critical interest. To be fair, the catalogue does spell it out and all the person had to do, assuming they looked it up and knew what year/model it was, was look for the required info. It's right there spelt out for them, or a bulletin is needed such as Inge has so thoughtfully provided. We used to keep a big blue hole-punched book full of them by catalogue section and it only took a mo' to locate the info. Nowadays it's on the 'puter, but again, you've gotta look for it.

I have to say that the parts dept of my local BMW shop are great, I tend to pop in with the parts numbers, By the time I have got to the desk they have the screen ready to check my numbers on the microfiche! I think that they are waiting to see the bike when it is finished, hehe Very Happy

docious

After two visits to my local BMW dealer they could not help me. Thankfully some members here sent me to the right microfiche screen. I ordered the new plate and cable adjusters and they all fit great.

14Back to top Go down   1985 K100RT throttle cable replacement Empty 1985 K100RT throttle cable replacement Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:26 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thought I would re open this thread as I have made a bit of a mess today
trying to figure out how to replace my throttle cable (even though there was nothing wrong with it apart from being original.) Another lesson.
Anyway on reading all of the above, I just was wondering if anyone has had an easy time of replacing this cable, apart from undoing everything in sight. I now have to get it done as the old cable won't work since I touched it.
My biggest concern is the placement of this new bracket
1985 K100RT throttle cable replacement Img_1116
if I attach ti to the 2 small screws underneath the idle screw, then I won't be able to get at the idle screw. Also Clymer doesn't say anything about removing the airbox top or undoing the injector connector to get in there.
Any thoughts please?
RT

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
rt you should be able to get in there from the right hand side .....

might be best to tie the new cable to the old one and pull it throught to the same location, masking tape is good for this ..(covers up all the lupmps and bumps ..).

there are 2 phillips head screws located on the throttle body rails ...(on the inside so access only from the right hand side ) umless you pull off the plenum (big black box ) to do that you might find it helpfull to remove the top of the air box and the big rubber tube between both .

hope it helps mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Tks Charlie will try tomorrow, seem to be going one step fwd and 2 back at the moment. Everytime I fix something it brings me to a new problem,(lower radiator hose
for example, but took one off the spares bike, same with headlight globe connector.)
Getting there though, some nights you go to bed realy happy with it, other nights it's a red wine haze. :ile tonight.
Cheers.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The plennum is the black box on top of the throttle bodies you don't need to remove that but you do need to remove the top section of the air filter box which contains the Mass air flow sensor.
I presume you have the air filter out so what you need to do is loosen the clamp on the big tube elbow at the front of the air filter housing and pull that off, it wont come completely away because the cable to the MAF is still attached.
1985 K100RT throttle cable replacement Image110
In the pic you can see the bracket and the cable going to the top (2) and the cable slot (1).
The bracket goes on under the 4 and 5th screws from the front and faces to the left side of the bike. The cable goes through it and the white nylon bit sits into the bracket.
Put the cable into the slot first and get the nipple into the correct place then put the cable into the bracket and then screw the bracket to the back rail of the throttle bodies.
Then thread the cable up through the mess of wiring to the handle bars.
The small adjuster goes at the handlebar end of the cable and is covered by a conical rubber sleeve.
Put the adjuster into the hole where the cable enters the switch cluster with it screwed in all the way then put the cable through the adjuster and there should be just enough showing to get it to go into the holder on the end of the chain. Fit it into the chain end and then put the gear over the pivot and align the two marks on the gear and throttle tube. Stick a finger of grease in and wack the lid on and adjust the cable at the adjuster till there is about 2-3mm slack.
If you have any more problems of a motorcycle nature (not your mother-in-law) PM me and I will ring you.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum