BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skidpan

Hello
Whenever I buy a bike I like to join the online forum relating to it. So - here I am!
I'm in Lancashire, England, and have just bought this with the intention of using it to commute and tour, but now I'm not sure. 10,200 verifiable miles from new on an '84 with all its paperwork, it's more like a museum piece. As a result I've bought an R1100R for the daily grind. I love the engine character, but not the vibes through the pegs, and the narrow bars give the impression that shoulder ache might set in after a while, but we shall see.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
omg !!!! skidpan .....that is amazing

welcome aboard mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

welcome skidpan,
Thats a great find you must have more jam than hartlys mate Very Happy
enjoy the bike and the forum.

BIG D

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
YES hello.. Wanna Swap?? Very Nice!!

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
This bike is even in nicer shape than a new one. A great polishing job has been done .
About the 84 model.....
Unleaded fuel may be used without any restriction since the February 1985 model. Earlier K100 should use unleaded fuel plus lead replacement, such as Castrol
TBE. In case of the european models, the corresponding frame numbers
are Basic 0007291, RS 0081107, RT 0024999 and every K100 LT.

Welcome to the forum.

CF

chrish8846

Silver member
Silver member
That is one of those Holy Cow! have you seen this type of finds!!

lhead71

Absolutely beautiful!

Skidpan

Thank, guys. I was going to ask the question about fuel additive so thanks for that, CrazyFrog. The 27 year old tyres are a bit of an issue, too. That's right, it's still on its original rubber...

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Reading this reminded me of this one on fleabay oz http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1984-BMW-K100RS-9000km-/140541668868?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item20b8efae04 and for some spares http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180661054108&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT or make up 2 bikes for sale, I would grab them but haven't got the time.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
dang ....what a gold mine !!!!! wonder if i could ....hmmm

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Charlie, buy them and I'll buy the cases and I'll send you a Christmas card every year for the rest of your life...

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
I read Skidpan and thought ..a nice chap until I clicked "THIS"....I then got all jealous and envious...I hate you Skidpan (just kidding of course). It puts everything I thought was a cracker to shame.
It is a modern classic says Andy Greenwood and he will allow you entry for £2.00. Why did they change the push button petrol cap that yours has.
Welcome to the forum Skid and never part with it. It will be worth a fortune in 10/20 years.
Ajays

AJAYS

IPJ100

IPJ100
Silver member
Silver member
Skid pan, I can show you a pair off worn out hands that can make a bike look nothing as good as yours! It has been well looked after or restored lovingly. She'll be your pride and joy for many years but does seem a shame if you don't do a tour on the old girl. My old K which has some dust on always gets a glance from passers by, especially when in france. YOU WILL get phone numbers left on your seat with this one, hopefully from nice ladies...

Welcome to the forum.

PS would you disclose the price paid?? or give a hint??
Ian

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
OMG!!! That polished alloy is fantastic! But I'd be scared to get it wet LOL.
Have fun with it, great buy. Smile

Skidpan

Went out on it last night to put a few miles on, and see how it feels.
Is it just me, or do the bars twist your wrists at a funny angle?

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Mine does the same. I end up getting a sore throttle thumb, but I get used to it.

BigBob

Silver member
Silver member
very nice!

http://www.dreyfusashby.com

Skidpan

geordnz wrote:I end up getting a sore throttle thumb, but I get used to it.

That's funny , because that is exactly my complaint. I was a bit baffled at one point because years ago I broke my left thumb, and when my right one started aching last night I started to doubt which thumb I had broken all those years ago. I've got a 1000 mile trip coming up, and I'm glad I'll be using the R11 rather than the K if only for that reason.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yep, I've also got the RS "right thumb syndrome"!
I put it down to the "paddle" that turns off the indicators and the handlebar angle.

Can we sue BMW for trauma suffered?
Will we settle out of court and maybe we'll get a free bike each?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Guys,

Handle bars are generic to fit the average rider.
I had previously adjusted the bar on my K75 for the same reason.
How do I adjusted them?
I sat on the bike, and brought my arms down in a natural position. As the angle of the bars didn't fit the angle of my palm, I removed the bars, put them in to a wise and with a big extension pipe I slightly bent them.
I repeated the procedure until it perfectly fits.
Believe me it's only a matter of few degrees, and the bars are soft enough to be bent without affecting their strength.

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the tip Crazy F.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
blakey wrote:Yep, I've also got the RS "right thumb syndrome"!
I put it down to the "paddle" that turns off the indicators and the handlebar angle.

Can we sue BMW for trauma suffered?
Will we settle out of court and maybe we'll get a free bike each?

or at least some paniers ....eh blakey ????

Just bought this but it's too nice to use. 44271

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Blakey, If no trauma compensation from BMW..Have a look here

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Crazy F, I take it the end of the bars need bending slightly forward?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum