BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Has anyone tried carbs? Sat May 07, 2011 3:32 pm

IPJ100

IPJ100
Silver member
Silver member
So we all know that when in good order, our bricks run like clockwork. But what if and when it does eventually pack up when we are on tour, what happens then. I wonder then if it may be possible to convert to simpler carbueretor (sorry cant spell it) fuel system?? I see that early mini engines use the K100 head to convert to fuel injection - so is it possible to put carbs on these engines??

I know there will be all sorts of jobs to do on the motor but.... I was just wondering what you guys thought.

cheers IAn Rolling Eyes

2Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sat May 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Back in the '80s a catalogue was put out from the San Francisco area by a feller going by the name of Matt Capri under the banner of Luftmeister. They sold all manner of go-fast goodies for BMW. Some of it was excellent and some of it was pretty good. I bought a two-into-one for my '77 R100. It was ok. In the Airhead (2 valve, pushrod boxers) section was a page with a stack of hyperbole about converting your troublesome carburettor set up "to modern, reliable, trouble-free fuel injection" because it "starts every time, improves gas mileage, emits less emissions but makes greater power" and such. A few pages later in the K bike section was a page about converting your "troublesome, complicated fuel injection" to carbies to, you guessed it, "make more power, improve fuel mileage, have cleaner emissions and start reliably every time".

What goes wrong that can't be easily diagnosed and fixed? Attaching carbies to K bikes has been done. It's not terribly difficult for those with the right pieces and the desire. I'm a rev head, gear head, greasy fingernail, hot rod-loving fool from way back, but I wonder at the reasons for modifying such a basic and simple system when that current system is basically maintenance-free if looked after properly. Just a thought.

3Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sat May 07, 2011 6:21 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Just guessing, but if your factory FI system fails real bad, and you dont want to return to it, wouldnt it be easier to install a state of the art last generation fully programable FI system?
Best regards
JAP

4Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun May 08, 2011 8:43 am

Has anyone tried carbs? Carbso10
One man's idea of how to do it. But it's not the carbies that give me wood, it's that front fork and brake set-up. Note the later style wheels too! You could run some proper radial rubber on 'em. Also, that's some trick exhaust system hanging underneath.

Has anyone tried carbs? Carbso11
Up close and you can see that he's manufactured an intake manifold to suit.

5Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun May 08, 2011 9:16 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"But it's not the carbies that give me wood..."

You crack me up! Has anyone tried carbs? 44271

You are one-in-a-million.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun May 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Glad to be of some service, Blakey. I've always thought of athletic, lithe motorbikes and sleek, shapely cars as sexy in a manner of speaking. What better way to express your appreciation than to show 'em how you feel with some big ol' love? Did you know that the Spanish phrase for climbing on and riding a horse/motorbike/bicycle/seesaw is the same as for making the big move on a beautiful woman? Know you do.

7Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Mon May 09, 2011 2:28 pm

IPJ100

IPJ100
Silver member
Silver member
Ok - looks like someone has seen through what I was secretly planning - a cafe racer style minmal type of accessories etc. I was being carefull cos I have seen some of the K's that have been ratted, not my cuppa tea but it's still a bike being used. My idea was to strip the fuel tank back to ally, short style seat, one off exhaust, neat front end, clipon bars, chrome light nacel and speedo and of course CARBS!!
looks like this guys 75 is making progress and the finish looks good.
Then she would seduce the eyes of the unkown person (babes hopefully) - phone numbers left on seat? I Hope so - if it ever gets done i shall be asking for help, plenty, I wonder what that front is??
Ian

8Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Programable fuel injection system Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:54 pm

rwiley111

rwiley111
There is a Engine Managemant kit for BMW K heads at twinkam.co.uk and for 950 gbp, you can have a programable setup for the K100 with software to run on your laptop, larger set of 4 new Bosch EV6 240 cc injectors for another 150 gbp, better than 105 gbp per injector from BMW

I personally would like to make a manifold for a single 50mm Mikuni like they use in the Subaru aircaft engines

9Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:42 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I have read of several people putting carbs on K's and all of them experienced increased fuel usage, there is no question for economy reduced emissions and power that injection is the way to go. Apart from the fun aspect of the project it would also be a lot of work to do. For more power a turbo charger or supercharger would be the way to go, we did have someone on list who had one but cannot remember who or when that was.
Regards,
K-BIKE

10Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:35 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
K-BIKE wrote:I have read of several people putting carbs on K's .... Apart from the fun aspect of the project it would also be a lot of work to do. For more power a turbo charger or supercharger would be the way to go, we did have someone on list who had one but cannot remember who or when that was.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Smile I think that the finished item would look absolutely great, but:
a. replacement air measurement unit about $50 (posted from UK to Sydney)
b. one injector ($50 second hand)
c. Electronic CPU... around $100 ...

$200 replaces the whole thing.... I can't imagine that u could get the carbs for that much Smile
But, it would be fun to do

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

11Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:49 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That would be RJTrucker he had a complete turbo kit for sale.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

12Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:01 am

Rjtrucker

Silver member
Silver member
I still have the turbo kit. It is a luftmeister competition turbo. I also have the catalog from back then with the pics of the carb set up Matt Capri aka mr luftmeister was selling.

Ron

93 K11LT
85 K100RS
85 K100RS turbo project.
And a load of K100 projects and parts.

13Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:11 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Rjtrucker wrote: I also have the catalog from back then with the pics of the carb set up Matt Capri aka mr luftmeister was selling.

Looks a bit like this, I`ll guess?........

Has anyone tried carbs? Hpim0917

14Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:16 am

Rjtrucker

Silver member
Silver member
Yes it does. If you look up the turbo for the k100 you can see what I have for sale .

93 K11LT
85 K100RS
85 K100RS turbo project.

15Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:18 am

Rjtrucker

Silver member
Silver member
Those catalogs are hard to find. Took me a year to find one and cost me $100.

93 K11LT
85 K100RS
85 K100RS turbo project.

16Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Rjtrucker wrote:Those catalogs are hard to find. Took me a year to find one and cost me $100.
Thank you for that info, nice to know......got heaps of old catalogues........
maybe I`m rather rich...........don`t tell the taxman.

17Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Catalog Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:11 pm

rwiley111

rwiley111
Could you post the page with the carbs in the catalog Please

18Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
rwiley111 wrote:Could you post the page with the carbs in the catalog Please
In the cataloge I got it`s only a picture of a cylinder head with kehin carbs fitted
and info that another catalog must be ordered which specific cover this.

19Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:28 pm

Ernesto

Ernesto
Just for documentation..  I'm updating a 10+ year old thread, but I am in the process of reviving a 1987 K75s with triple Keihin flat slide carbs and other uprades.

Has anyone tried carbs? 53223033606_7ab116ee95_b

20Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:46 am

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
stick a single SU on it and it will run , down on power im sure , common conversion on honda goldwings (solex) i had one and it went well but better when put back to standard

21Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:18 am

Tranberg

Tranberg
Coming from a 2007 Suzuki with fuel injection to a 1993 K75, I think my "forever" solution would be to use mechanical parts from common Japanese bikes with FI and Mega/mikrosquirt electronics, or just keep the BMW throttle bodies.

22Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:09 pm

Jibe

Jibe
Silver member
Silver member
That's what I've just done. Has anyone tried carbs? 20221010
Has anyone tried carbs? 20221011

23Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:14 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
How did you spec the carbs? Hours on a dyno Very Happy or has someone else already done it?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

24Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:29 am

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
looks nice does it work ?

25Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:36 am

Jibe

Jibe
Silver member
Silver member
Yes it works well. Obviously I've made a few changes to mine and had problems with fueling due to the antiqated system fitted 40 years ago. So after a ton of measuring and research I opted for carbs so I can make my own changes and early results are looking good the bike revs very well through the range with no lag or the sound of a high pressure pump buzzing away. I'm not concerned on how much mpg I'm likely to get, which isn't politically correct but I do recycle Smile

26Back to top Go down   Has anyone tried carbs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried carbs? Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:14 pm

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
bike revs very well through the range ........ on the road or on the main stand ?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum