BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:46 am

irishger

hi all
I just bought a 1991 K100 LT.
there is only 26000 miles on the clock and the bike is in good condition
just a few small jobs that need doing

Hello for cork ireland Bmw4

Hello for cork ireland Bmw2

Hello for cork ireland Bmw1

2Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:12 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow nice looking bike irish .....enjoy

and Hello for cork ireland 177912 to the forum

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:20 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi and welcome irishger, a nice looking bike you have there.

BIG D

4Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:41 am

irishger

Cheers for the welcome

I need to repair the side stand, a new set of tyres,
and replace the front brake light switch. Then the bike will be sorted.
Must try and find a top box for it as well.
Is there much involved in fitting a rack for a top box to the bike

5Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:03 am

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
I like that color. Cool Welcome to the board!

OG

6Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:19 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Look for an original one on e-bay or even motorworks you have the base already there looking at the last pic, the topbox locks onto a centre coupling, could you provide us with a pic of the rack you have on the bike just to be certain its all there.

BIG D

7Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Hi irishger. Welcome to the forum. Good to see someone else from the same island. Get a lot of aussies on the forum though, and once they all start talking to each other I can't understand a word! Must be the dizzy soup they drink. Very Happy
BIG D is right. There is an original box that clips straight onto the rack on the seat hump with a slopping base and a locking bracket. They do come up regularly on eBay but be aware that a good one can go for nearly as much as a new one. Check new prices before you bid.
The original top box is not big. If you want a bigger one there are brackets available from box suppliers that allow you to fit a conventional one.
You can get a colour matched aerosol to match that nice gold paint scheme. There will be a few on the forum nashing their gums at your purchase.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

8Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:59 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Wow, that is one nice looking bike. The colour of the seat really completes it.

Welcome, from one of those "what are they talking about now?" Aussies.

Very Happy

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

9Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:55 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Irishger,
Great to have you on board and the bike looks excellent, there is a lot of info on the forum about fettling a new acquisition of a secondhand bike so as to get it sorted. Looking forward to reading about your experiences motoring in the Emerald Isle.
Regards,
K-BIKE

10Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:59 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Irish. Is that an original BMW security system I see?

11Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:51 pm

Welcome from Down Under, Irishger! I agree with others that the original equipment topbox is a bit small for anything other than what normally goes into a glovebox. Well, not that small, but you get the idea. Here is one answer to the problem, done the backyard Aussie way! My Da' always said make form follow function!

It's a shaped timber platform on bent steel rod which is bolted through the back cowling where the original bits would have gone, so no new holes had to be drilled. The platform's carved and shaped here and there so it sort of replicates the factory mounting plate to fit a larger, later type topbox from a F650GS/R1150R, etc. The 'box locks on using the original mounting points and when it's removed for solo flying the platform looks reasonably discreet. It also has the capacity for a fullface helmet sitting right side up and other assorted bits and pieces.

Hello for cork ireland Dscf2421
Hello for cork ireland Dscf2422
Hello for cork ireland Dscf2423
Hello for cork ireland Dscf2424
When I'm not using the topbox for my passenger a waterproof dufflebag sits right on the platform.
Hello for cork ireland Ozlong10

12Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 pm

irishger

lads is this the correct front brake light switch for my bike

Hello for cork ireland ELA59569

and what way is it routed before I start to strip down the bike

13Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:54 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Hmm that looks rite to me but my bikes are not quite as new as yours. It should plug in under the tank. Need to remove tank to get there.

14Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:50 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome Irishger. I should be able to understand you, my mother is from Cork!!.
Have you tried contact cleaner in the switch. I had to do it a couple of times to mine, and it's still going. It was making the brake light stay on. Took the switch out, sprayed it with contact cleaner while pushing the plunger in and out. Lots of dirty liquid came out and when it ran clear, it worked.

15Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:56 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Oh , and great looking bike, looks you got a good one, with everything in good shape, well done! :-)

16Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:16 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
just so you know this is the bracket for the 22 litre top box

Hello for cork ireland Pictur34

and the box itself

Hello for cork ireland Pictur33

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

17Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:19 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Just to clarify the black plate with the hole in is a removable plate that is fitted into the bracket and then the top box is latched down on to it. It is taken off when the box is not present, otherwise the plates are inclined to fall off the bike.
Regards,
K-BIKE

18Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:21 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
crikey k-bike ....never knew that ....mine seems fixed pretty well and no amount of bumping and shoving lets any movement become obvious ...

i bet theres a trick involved ....like turning it clockwise with your mouth held a certain way , whilst lifting and placing a thumb underneath the slot near the back and then pulling the whole thing off .............huh ? did i do good yet ?
Hello for cork ireland 44271

19Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:35 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
It is difficult to get it out but a good pal who had two K's said he lost a couple before he realised that some gymnasics his bike would get up to would enable it to buck the plate off. I thought fair enough since as they say experience sometimes teaches you things you wish you didn't know and not wishing to repeat his experience I have always wrestled mine out.
Regards,
K-BIKE

20Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:47 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
im still learning k-bike ......i hope i always will ....your advice is aways held in high esteeme and appreciation

cheers

21Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:22 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Irishger, they went off on a world of there own. My brake lead was routed straight up behind the foot peg plate and came out just forward of the rear master, then along the frame with cable tie under the right side cover and into the socket. Trouble is when I re did the brake piston and took the footplate off, the cable had been jammed
by P.O and had cut the chord. So be careful that it doesn't get squashed if you have that plate off.
That's my 5c worth.
RT

22Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Welcome from Tasmania Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Rob Mc

Welcome to the forum Irishger, that is a very impressive K Bike.. Cheers affraid

23Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:57 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Just saying hello also from Cork.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

24Back to top Go down   Hello for cork ireland Empty Re: Hello for cork ireland Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:18 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Great looking bike and welcome aboard Wink

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum