BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

topf

Hi guys

I got a full fairing K100LT

During the summer the Ambient temperature reaches 30-35 degrees C.
While on the road after about 15 minutes the legs area gets very hot
because of the disconfort I am taking my legs out of the firing to cool them

im thinking of taking it off

is there a way to cool this area

please help

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
This solution could maybe help you.

Inge K.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
This is a very common problem with the K100RT and LT because of the fairing. I wrote a long document on the heat management in the K100. You can find a link to it here:

K100 Heat Management

topf

A lot of good information

thx guys

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi topf
I took advice fromTWB amongst others who live in the hot parts of Australia, and removed the lower fairing. Leave the radiator grill on and use what we call zip ties to attach the fairing mounts to whatever you can find that is stable. It works and the fairing didn't feel unstable at all.
Good luck RT

WayneDW

WayneDW
Silver member
Silver member
I decided to fight the problem in a different way. I bought some riding pants with reinforced skid panels in the knees and shins. Normally, you'd think wearing more clothes would make you hotter but these pants actually do keep my legs cooler by insulating me from the heat source.

I wear shorts under the pants and there is a zippered ventilation panel at my thighs. Rode with them on for four days last week in 90f plus degree weather. I was relatively comfortable. When we were stopped and sight seeing, I'd take the riding pants off and be chillin' in my shorts.

http://www.fossilapostles.com

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
I got rid of 95% of the heat by sealing the gap between the sides of the tank and inner fairing, and the bottom of the tank and top of the airbox, using a strip of closed cell PE foam.

Before doing that 30km on the open road in summer was torture, now it's fine for all but sitting at the lights all day.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good tip wayne ....i have found the same about the long pants ....but being mad, crazy , call it what you will .....i have stared a project to introduce more cool air to the underside of the tank ....wont really know the results till sumer returns, in about 3 months

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

dinos735

dinos735
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know where I can get a windshield for my PK-1 Pichler fairing? Used? Reasonable price? I priced through Pichler in Germany, pretty steep at 106 euros and then 75 to ship to America. Ouch!!

They quit making the fairing but still have the windshield in production.

I posted on the forum a picture of my k100 with the fairing/windshield. Just don't remember where!

Thanks Dino

Try placing an ad on http://marketplace.ibmwr.org under "Bricks, parts or accessories wanted".

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum