BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Is anyone up for a semi-spirited day ride, in a small group, from the Brissy area inland to say Greemount for a pub lunch and return? We'll meet up with K Freak out beyond and take it from there. We can find the best back roads and have a good day wandering. The weather forecasters are saying it's gunna be near 29 degrees and sunny, and the way it's been lately I'm kinda in the mood for believing them.
sunny

I reckon a pre-nine AM departure and a safe return before dark when the hoppy skippy mob start jumping about. I need to take the bike for a more lengthy amble than the weekly commute to see how my recent mods return results over the road. How's about it? Cheers.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
im in .....see you bout 8 ish ?

dont know where were headed but ill look it up

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Enjoy the ride guys, for I'll be winging my way to Adelaide.
Perfect weather, good friends and great bikes.
Perfect combination.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aww sad news blakey .......enjoy the south mate .....should be good down there by now ....

i recon kilarny via queen mary falls ...warwick then greenmount sounds good to me .... just a suggestion !!

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Thanks, Blakey. We'll be thinking of you. Enjoy your road trip too.

Charlie, KF gave me a pretty good idea of which way to go to get there. Eight-ish sounds fine to depart for me. Name a place South West of the city and I'm there. He recommended we stay South of Toowoomba due to the Spring flower festival. Sound good?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ill head in from beudesert road ( chambers flat road ) unless you want to meet up at jimboomba ....8,00ish ?

whats your plan ?

would love to meet jhepburn...chucky ....alby and more if they can get on the road

i got a parcel for kfreak anyhow

How about Jimboomba, up through Greenbank, White Rock, Deebing Heights, Amberley to Thagoona, over to Grandchester, Laidley South, Winwill, Ma Ma Creek, then down through Fordsdale, Hirstglen, past Ascot then over to East Greenmount?

It's all South of the typical (and somewhat boring by now) Gatton and Toowoomba route and we can explore some smaller roads.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Here is a suggestion for a "ride to and visit"...aren't you guys going out that way on Sunday?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

That's a really cool place, have been there before, and it's well worth a trip (actually highly recommended), but it's up on the boring main road where all the tourists and school holiday traffic will be, going West or to that bloody flower show in T'woomba.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
its just kinda east of of marburg ....off the rosewood road but rosewood is the next town past thargoona and the hill over there is nice heading towards the highway to minden a few ks over the hill...so no reason to head up the highway theres other ways to get there except for a couple of ks back track ...worth a thought

http://www.whereis.com/QLD/Haigslea/3-Butlers-Rd/#session=MTU=

Yes, more or less that way, but we don't have to go on the Warrego Highway at all, we can stick to the Centenary Highway and then the Rosewood-Laidley Road, a bit further South.

While GPS is good I still prefer the old fashioned MAP version. You get a sense of where you came from and where you're going instead of blindly following technology. I'm gunna muddle through some technology here and see if can come up with the route...

I think this link to Google Maps shows the way I'm intending:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Camp+Cable+Rd&daddr=Camp+Cable+Rd+to:-27.79228,153.0165+to:-27.68047,152.9102+to:-27.65767,152.69832+to:-27.71624,152.3105+to:-27.83985,152.0698+to:New+England+Hwy&hl=en&ll=-27.735807,152.916641&spn=0.328186,0.617294&sll=-27.748569,152.960587&sspn=0.328147,0.617294&geocode=FfzLV_4dbh0gCQ%3BFUabV_4dLgkfCQ%3BFWjsV_4dtNgeCSlRARJf4zmRazER_7PNWqMCEw%3BFSqhWf4deDkdCSkbwnBLGEqRazHBRLvNWqMCEw%3BFTr6Wf4d0P0ZCSnfe55K2MmWazEAjJjNWqMCEw%3BFXAVWf4d5BIUCSlREKYRCO-WazFglcB48e4AEw%3BFZYyV_4dqGYQCSnhYJ5lYVWWazFQkfhX8e4AEw%3BFZ1EWP4duXQOCQ&vpsrc=6&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=11&via=2,3,4,5,6&t=m&z=11

Yep, it does. But the newest Firefox 6.2 really mucks up map viewing, and I haven't changed settings except to go to the newest version. I can't see it or use it unless I go to Explorer, which I rarely use.

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looks good to me ...

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
We coming too!!! If you can give us an idea of what time you will hit Rosewood I will be at the intersection of rosewood-laidley and john st where you turn onto Lanefield road. Here
Need to make a trip like TWB to make sure all is well

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i guess about 8.30-ish alby

good to hear mate ....hows that camshaft stuff comming along ?

sounds like you have a definative answer huh ?

itll be good to see you guys Very Happy

theres a cafe/take away down johns st (left hand turn at the round about )right opposite the park museum ...near the iga mate ....ill look for you there if your refreshing yourselves .

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I am confidant the new head is OK. we will be in that Cafe shop more than likely. Was going to have brekky at fernvale. If all goes well tomorrow i will list all the spares here for everyone.

Goodo, Alby! We'll see you tamoree. Got a mobile in case we're dawdling late or running early? Laughing

I just dropped me engine oil and filter, then drained and refilled the forks with 10W Silkolene. Let's see how that goes toward remedying the drop of the nose under hard braking...was reminding me of me old 'Gummikuh' (German for Rubber Cow) R75/7 Airhead.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
TWB and Charlie. PM for you.

Up before sparrow fart ready to go! Gunna be sunny as and over 30 today. Roll on Spring! Roll on old K bikes!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye ..! from captain slow...ready to go

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
back from a hot day in them hills ......beer o'clock me thinks
had a great meet up with alby ....niki ...margerat ...kfreak and twb of corse ....was good to see 5 mighty "k" bikes up there.

Up for a Sunday Ride? (SE Queensland hinterland area) 312784_1755552148807_1839066745_1148318_1826600185_s
we picked up a "hardly rider" ...striped a k100 rs ...and fixed it .....

had a drink and some lunch with some good friends

woohoo

thanks guys ...........can't wait for araluen

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for a great day Guys. Thanks for the help Charlie!! fair day around 505 kms and thats about 314 miles for across the ocean peoples. I had a text from a friend who rode past us in the large group of bikes while picking up harley boy. They were almost certain they saw me standing on the road side with my hazards on and had to ask.. being able to field strip a beemer,,, that must earn a point or two or some kind of graduation! (now wheres that fuse?)

Up for a Sunday Ride? (SE Queensland hinterland area) Imag0117

Charlie, Alby, Nikki and my bike at the Greenmount Hotel after a good ride and meeting with K Freak and his lovely wife, who when this was taken were 200 metres down the road already. Oops!

On the way, an hour from our meet up, going over the range south of Ma Ma Creek an HD XR1200 overtook us and promptly binned it in the next bend whilst chasing after his mates. He hit a dip in the road, got crossed up, landed and high-sided nicely, dislocating his shoulder or breaking his collarbone, the bike not too bad considering the slide and its rather unceremonious desire to have a lie down. I dunno which he broke, truth be told, but he took it well enough. Apparently last year he'd broken his leg in two places in a similar get-off. We waited 'til his fast moving mates returned (Charlie went to look for them) and then the ambos took him away. Since I was just about first on the scene (the others were right behind me) the coppers asked me a few questions and I couldn't bring myself to dob in a fellow rider for the fact that speed was a factor in the event.

"Dunno, senior constable, he must have had his suspension set up a bit too hard the way he and the motorbike bounced."

Up for a Sunday Ride? (SE Queensland hinterland area) Imag0118
Is the handlebar s'posed to bent back like that?!

Up for a Sunday Ride? (SE Queensland hinterland area) Dscf2539
At Rosewood, meeting up with Alby and his lovely lady, Nikki. She did a great job with the unfortunate crash patient at the roadside.

Up for a Sunday Ride? (SE Queensland hinterland area) Dscf2540
Alby reckons he likes his comfort whilst on the road. He takes everything along behind him!

Up for a Sunday Ride? (SE Queensland hinterland area) Dscf2541
Margaret and K Freak disappear into the afternoon haze on a quite warm day for early Spring, about 30 degrees.

Up for a Sunday Ride? (SE Queensland hinterland area) Dscf2542
Charlie and Alby bringing up the rear across the lush Lockyer Valley. There were heaps of bushfires round the place and the air had a distinct haze to it all of the day.

After yet another satisfying ride day, given the added excitement of the prang, and some other minor dramas, a good time was had by all and we're looking forward to Araluen, late October!

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good one alby .....,more cred for you old mate ....keep it up !!!

the 84 rs purred beutifully ....

nice pics twb ....folks those pics of "down the road" ...are sooo.....funny ...... i see this hand on helmet holding something ....at highways speeds of corse .... i guess it was the computer, map machine...calculator, camera...that also poses ...sometimes as a phone ? perhaps !!

...giggles ...nice action shots mate ...cheers

(ps i took more photos .....but you dont want to know that it was set for macro ....huh ? smacks head ....doh ! and i promise...... not a drop of brake fluid passed my lips ....giggle )

Up for a Sunday Ride? (SE Queensland hinterland area) Fuse10
All in all a very good day. You shoulda seen Alby and Charlie in the hot sun by the roadside (at the accident scene) tearing into Alby's bike chasing a no-start situation, looking for the little gremlin that had them confounded for a short while. Out came the multimetre, down rolled the sweat, off came the plastic. It was all very patient and considered, with no one chucking a hissy, in spite of the blazing sun and bone dry grass. I was impressed by their roadside diagnostic prowess. Even the pranged rider's riding mates were impressed by the tools and spares carried by the average Beemer rider that day! Crikey, we even had spare relays to try in the respective slots!

But the smiles on their faces when I rolled back up after riding out of the valley looking for mobile reception so I could phone K Freak to tell him we were delayed due to the accident and 'another' situation...they'd finally sussed out the problem that eluded them! The lesson is: always look twice, and carry spares. Now where is my spare packet of fuses.....?

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
You Aussies are having far too much fun and making me envious to boot! Your season is just starting and I'm getting hints of the end of mine. Early morning rides have been 5 degrees here the last few days.

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

g35corona wrote:You Aussies are having far too much fun......Your
season is just starting and I'm getting hints of the end of
mine.

Ah, G35, that's where you might have to re-think your comment. Season? We ride all the live long year round, mate!
Even our Taswegian and Victorian cousins are out and about in the middle of July and August. But somehow, we feel for you. Cue teary violin music and bring out the hankies.

Your fellow Canadian Club_C paid us a visit late last Summer and we showed him a small taste of what it's like Down Under in the Lucky Country. Come to OZ and ride.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
The lesson is: always look twice, and carry spares. Now where is my spare packet of fuses.....?

Butt..We Did!!! Embarassed Embarassed It just took a third look!!!!!

Up for a Sunday Ride? (SE Queensland hinterland area) 112350 Kudos to you two. We were going in an hour and the rest of the day, like the earlier part, was sweet.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
TWB What was the verdict on your recent mods?

Well, the 10W fork oil helped tremendously with the front end's tendency to dive. So that was good. I'm not sure about fitting progressive springs at this stage. Have to give it more time and distance.

The four-piston brakes are awesome compared to the two-pots. Having a newer, larger 20mm master cylinder makes them work like they should.

With the speeds we travelled at and trying to be steady on the throttle (though I did give it a bit of stick at times, as you know) I still managed 20 kms per litre at that Toowoomba fill up.

The front wheel ought to be here this week and if I can get it fitted after work by next weekend with the new rear wheel and Pirelli Angel ST radials, I'm crossing my fingers it'll all come together. Next stop, a proper, full-length rear shockie...I'm tired of the short arse version.

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
woohoo ...should be a new beast...in the handling department ....

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
Two Wheels Better wrote:

Ah, G35, that's where you might have to re-think your comment. Season? We ride all the live long year round, mate!
Even our Taswegian and Victorian cousins are out and about in the middle of July and August. But somehow, we feel for you. Cue teary violin music and bring out the hankies.

Your fellow Canadian Club_C paid us a visit late last Summer and we showed him a small taste of what it's like Down Under in the Lucky Country. Come to OZ and ride.

It's all good twb. I was just looking for some sympathy for the work we have to do putting on the studded tires and then the chains for the ice racing. Very Happy

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum