BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:19 pm

John S. Heppleston

K-100 RT as a sidecar rig 2854237993 Hello, My name is John and I am new to this forum. I wish to converse with one or more people that have built a sidercar rig utilizing a K-100 RT. I have access to a URAL sidecar, in excellent shape however my 1984 K-100 RT will need some love.

2Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:45 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hiya john .....welcome to the forum.

there have been some posts about side cars before

darned if i can find them just at the moment ....

but ask away if you have issues ...there is always someone with the experience of doing it before .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:13 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi John welcome to the forum as charlie stated there has been a few post's about sidecar's by sidecarJohn have a gander around this section of the forum and lets see some pics sounds interesting.

BIG D

4Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:38 pm

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
Hi John, welcome aboard. Lots of good help here. That bike will be a lot more stable in the snow with a sidecar on it. Very Happy

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

5Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Sidecarjohn

Hello,
The K100 is regularly chosen for sidecar duty using a variety of sidecars, including the Ural one. Several issues, but can be overcome. The most obvious one is the need for a sub frame that attaches to the bike, but specifically provides fixing points to attach the chair.

Send me a personal message if you need specific advice.

www.sidecarjohn.co.uk

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk

6Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:20 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Sidecarjohn, my only question is how the hell you steer those things. I'd be keen if I thought I could go around a corner.
RT

7Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:16 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Welcome John , fantastic rig interesting read and mods

Tony

8Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:23 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
interesting John - thanks for sharing

9Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:25 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Hi John.

What is it with sidecars? I could never understand the fuss.

But that's what I like about motorcycling: horses for courses.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

10Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:42 am

dennisg844

Hi John,
I thought I sent a reply yesterday but it's not showing up here. Undoubtedly, I pressed the wrong key or something. I have a '85 K100RT stripped of all the fairing plastic. It's attached to a 1970-something California Friendship I sidecar. The sidecar is on a new frame as I ruined the original frame while being too aggressive on a forest service road near here. The subframe on the bike is necessary, otherwise there's no place to securely attach the sidecar. The accepted advice about steering is to set up the rig and see how it goes. Mine was extremely hard to steer and there was a tank-slapping wobble at low speed (controlled pretty easily by a firm grip). Both characteristics are common (but not always) without some sort of mod to the steering geometry. I bought the Steerite triple tree conversion (if you google "Steerite" you should find it pretty easy). The difference in steering is huge. No wobble and general steering is very managable. There are other steering mods out there, most of them much more expensive. I'm very happy with the Steerite. I also just installed a rear wheel car-tire conversion. It's a custom rim suitable for a car tire. Rear tires tend to burn up very fast on sidecar rigs. If you figure upwards of $150USD for a motorcycle tire which might get less than 3,000-4,000 miles, compared to a car tire for about $50 which will get upwards of 15,000 miles, the choice gets pretty clear. But, if you're not going to ride the rig very much, the conversion might not make sense. I got it from Claude Stanley in Pennsylvania and it's about $800. Anyway, I'm happy to chat about sidecars, K bikes, etc. Let me know if I can try to answer any questions.
Dennis

11Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:44 pm

lancas

lancas
Hi there. I too am new to the forum and have been considering a K bike sidecar build. Several of the points raised here have also been on my mind but first things first I suppose. 1) with suitable subframe add ons, does the K100 lend itself well to outfit duties?.. 2) Can anyone lead me to info on the do's and don'ts of K bike outfit buidling.? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

12Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:53 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
blaKey wrote:Hi John.

What is it with sidecars? I could never understand the fuss.

But that's what I like about motorcycling: horses for courses.

Or Bulls Horns and Tassels and Sparkly Mirror Balls... 👅   Yes it is great thing the variety Blakey.   I shall now go back into my shed remain until I have something of substance to contribute..

13Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:29 am

Hello mate,
I've been running my K100 RT and homemade sidecar for several years and well over 150,000km with the chair attached. Yes, the subframe is necessary...build it strong and don't be afraid to over-engineer on all aspects a bit. The K100 is a fine and strong motor for the job. The single sided swingarm is less than perfect for the job as lateral forces come into play when the chair is attached. Personal advice? Do the splines religiously and change the final drive fluid very regularly as well.

Sean.

14Back to top Go down   K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Empty Re: K-100 RT as a sidecar rig Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:46 am

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome John, sidehack, goodluck, some are successful. Have fun, great forum this.
K IWI
Rick
NewZealand

PS lovely midwinter ride yesterday 250km, fresh snow on the ranges. My K was running too cold, need a new thermostat

Rick
K IWI land
New Zealand

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum