BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

derek.stx

Hey, at least it's a French name. USVI

I didn't expect my first bike to be a k100, but I'm loving it. An 84 k100 rs with dual saddle bags. Mostly driven in Texas, but has been down here for about 2 years, I'm not sure how much longer it will take the ocean air, but it seems to be in fairly good condition given its age.

Couple of weeks after I got it, I hit a behemoth pot hole aka crater due to the state of our roads. dented my rim something nasty, but she took that licking and didn't put me down. I had the rim bent back into place and welded (crack) so I'm looking to get a new wheel since they recommend not heating the aluminum wheels.

Other than that, I've been driving without much the gauges. Everything worked when I got it except the low fuel light. Course the 7l light worked. I couldn't figure out what that light was since I'm used to seeing a gas pump on my gauges and of course I wouldn't know what "L" stands for. Ran out of gas within the first week.

I'm really not an idiot, but... Hopefully I didn't fry the pump bearings as I hear happens. Totally love the bike would like to do a bit of a fix up job on it. Don't know if I'll be able to buy a different bike now since I'm in love with the bmw now. I'd like to take off the fairing and put dual headlights on. First I've got to get it running again since I lost all power while cruising this Island paradise. Thus my introduction.... gots to be getting that downloads password. Hit me back with any comments.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good to have you aboard derek

happy times for you when you get her back on the road ....enjoy

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Derek.

I've got one word for you...(shut-up you lot!) DeoxIT.

As you live in a harsh environment, treat all of your electrical bits (earths, battery, connectors, bulbs, switches, instrument cluster etc) with DeoxIT D-Series (the cleaner) and then to protect what you have just cleaned, use the S-Series Shield.

Doing this simple procedure will big a big help with the running of your bike.

Last edited by blakey on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...you don't need to know...)

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Derek,
Welcome to our happy band of brothers. You live in a lovely part of the world but as you say the salt is an issue.

All old bikes and cars need a thorough maintenance of every electrical connection with DeoxIT as Blakey (Neil) says above.

Another good plan is to do a full service and return all fluids to "as recommended" and change all filters, spark plugs, fuses and bulbs.

That way you are starting off with the right lubricants in the right place and no risk of damage because the previous owner said to themself "final drive oil needs changing, hmm this 20-50 engine oil looks clean I will use that"
Regards,
K-BIKE

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum derek. There is a wealth of info here, it could keep you reading for years.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Where do we get the blue Deox IT from Blakey, this new?
Welcome Dell Boy, Virgin Islands you say, that sounds like a nice place to be.
You will get all the help you need here, and some smart alec stuff too.
RT

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi and welcome to the forum derek, lots of help here, I live right on the scottish coast and having prepped the bike and used the product referred to by "blakey" [if you do one thing DO THAT one] my bike still shines and runs a treat.

BIG D

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
RT, I haven't seen the Shield stuff for sale in Australia unfortunately.

The closest thing I've seen for sale is a tube of it here on phleabay and they will post to Oz.

I don't think anyone would send us (in Australia) a pressure pack can of the stuff (pressure pack can in aircraft and all of that)...but I could be wrong.

Anyone else out there to add their two cents worth?

OK...found this place here in Oz.

Last edited by blakey on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Info update.)

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Send a quick note to Caig in the US I did and they gave me the contact details for the NZ distributor who was extremely helpful he even got me a special order of fader lube and some other exotic Caig stuff. The D5 and S5 comes in a medium size aerosol can which is really handy for getting inside switches and connector blocks. I even repaired a dodgy switch on my film projector last night which was going open circuit on one of the two speeds for projection and as the one it would not work on was the one synched for sound I needed it running a quick spray of D5 and work the switch power up and perfect working restored.
Regards,
K-BIKE

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Hello and welcome to the forum Derek. Sounds like the roads in the Carribean are similar to those here in Oz. Potholes big enough to swallow K bikes. Dodging them is a hole new sport.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

I hail from the Caribbean (St. Croix) for the frenchies 170874

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Geez K-Bike
a film projector, I knew you kiwis were a bit behind in your cars, but a film projector?
Thansk Blakey I was as usual taking the pess, but thats a good find.
See Derek.stx, this is what happens, run away while you still can.
Cheers RT

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Well we decided to get out all our old cine films of the kids and play them over the Christmas holidays. a great nostalgic time it was too. Interestingly NZ has been used as a new technology testing ground by several manufacturers to see if a new concept will fly as the Kiwis are considered to be much more accepting of new tech. I think that the theory is, if the new product or technology is a complete turkey of an idea they
can quietly shelve it and nobody around the globe will notice. An example was EFTPOS which NZ had many years before the UK and US.
Regards,
K-BIKE

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome derek. I agree, replacing the front wheel should be a top priority. Bending and welding it sounds scary. Beemerboneyard or ebay will likely be your best sources.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum