BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:02 pm

fearlesspk

Hey everyone,

So i just put in a new battery and oil and the bike hasn't been started since 2007. When I try to start it it wont crank it just makes a loud click when I hit the start button. Any ideas what this can possibly be?

2Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:09 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
What you could start with, is to measure if you got any power to the positive terminal at the starter....when the button is pushed.

Inge K.

3Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:11 pm

fearlesspk

Ok, I will check that. I will have to wait a few days to get a tester. thanks

4Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:24 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Inge K. wrote:What you could start with, is to measure if you got any power to the positive terminal at the starter....when the button is pushed.

Inge K.

+1

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If you don`t have a instrument........does the headlight dim much when you pushing the starter button?

6Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:27 pm

fearlesspk

Yes, when I push the button the headlight goes off and back on when I release the button.

7Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Then you probably get power to the starter....but enough?

Could also be bad ground.....could try a jumper cable between battery negative terminal and a good ground point at the engine.

Something seized?.....put in 2 or 3 gear and try to turn the back wheel.

It would be easier with a instrument available.

Could also be bad connection at the brushes.......try to turn the wheel backwards about a turn (2 or 3 gear), then try to push the starter button.

Last edited by Inge K. on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:40 pm

fearlesspk

Do you know what the silver box above the battery controls? its like a brain box or something

9Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
That`s the injection ECU.

10Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:47 pm

fearlesspk

Could that have anything to do with the problem I am having?

11Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:49 pm

fearlesspk

The previous owner said he thinks it might have touched the negative battery terminal and there was a spark

12Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
You need to have it connected to get fuel to the engine, but your starter should still have turned.

13Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:54 pm

fearlesspk

Ok, i guess I will just have to test what you told me before. Any pointers for testing it or what I should expect when I test it? I need a multimeter correct?

14Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
fearlesspk wrote:The previous owner said he thinks it might have touched the negative battery terminal and there was a spark
Then it rather would have been the positive terminal, and it could be that it`s toasted.

15Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:04 pm

fearlesspk

Ok, thanks, I will have to test both.

16Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Compare the voltage between battery positive terminal and starter terminal under load.
If it`s more than ~0,8 volts difference, your starter relay is the problem.
Also compare the battery voltage when button is pressed and not.
If it drops ~2 volts or more, something is seized.
If it`s only a small drop it`s a problem in the starter circuit, or the starter itself.

17Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:22 pm

fearlesspk

Ok, thanks. This will take a few days to get the tools. I will update you with the results when I get them. Thanks so much

18Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:36 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
could be worthwhile just undoing the earth connection at the crankcase ...clean up the connector and surfaces then bolt her up again .....(common issue)

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

19Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Bike wont start, only click Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:58 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Put the bike in top gear, can you turn the engine over if you push the bike with the clutch in and then release the clutch? If you can then charge the battery on a charger and try again.
Regards,
K-BIKE

20Back to top Go down   Bike wont start, only click Empty Re: Bike wont start, only click Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:50 am

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
i wonder if previous owner tried to start with low battery and welded relay together
make sure battery is fully charged before starting again when you get access to download page spend a bit of time reading lots of really helpful stuff in there

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum