BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty And yet another one Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:20 am

CanRob

CanRob
Hi All,
Thought I might introduce myself, with a bit of background.
I have had an ex-police 1991 K100LT (minus the radio etc so I call it an RT) for about 13 years or so. It was getting a bit ratty, and a few years ago so I decided to get rid of it and by a new bike.
Got myself a new F800GS, a fun toy!(still don't like chain drive!). However I could not bring myself to dump the old K. I found I was too attached to it. Kind of odd, with it being a lump of metal and plastic. But I think those here know what I mean.

So I stuck it on the bike lift in a corner of the shed, and stripped it down with the intent to restore the beast. Did a few things, cam chain, rebuilt the starter motor and alternator. Funny thing with the alternator, no auto elec would touch it as the front bearing was not good, and a bit loose in the casting. All too hard to fix mate!, buy a new one!. Stuff that! said I, so I got new bearings and other bits from Motobins, found they fitted more tightly than the old, so a bit of Loctite liquid steel to lock it in and all good, better than new. Did the bearings, brushes on the starter and gee! it cranked over so much easier. Then life got in it the way and there she sat for 2 years.

I have occasionally browsed this forum reading about all the K diehards and their beasts. And it has finally got me motivated to resurrect the old girl, finish the job and put another antique back on the road.
So far I have done the throttle body intakes top and bottom. Put the throttle body through the parts washer for a cleanup. Replaced the ignition leads. Still need to get a new battery, strip clean and replace the seals in the forks. The fuel pump seems ok, as the tank has had a 1/4 load of fuel in it since it was parked, and it runs. I did get it to start ok which wasn't too bad considering, so some fresh fuel will help. And I think new disc rotors are required as well. So it could be an expensive exercise. I seem to recall that's what made me buy a new bike in the first place. I just didn't have time to spend on the spanners. Still I think it's worth it now if I can find the parts secondhand or cheaply enough. Plus it's fun to spend time in the shed with the toys.
Now to decide what colour I should paint the wheels to make it stand out. Maybe bright canary yellow....

Cheers,

Rob from Canberra

2Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:46 am

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rob,

Welcome mate, sounds like the K100 has you well hooked even though you tried to kick the habit!

I'm with you - enjoy pottering in the garage with the spanners and putting new bits on for old - it's really satisfying bringing something back to its former glory - or in some cases even better.

As you say loads of parts around and some good suppliers of new stuff too (I think a few of your fellow Aussies use Motorworks).

Be good to see some photos when you get a chance (can take a few days as a memeber before you are allowed)

Dunno about the yellow wheels (red/yellow K1 was never my favourite scheme) but hey - each to their own! Very Happy

All the best
Dave

3Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:53 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice intro rob ,,,,

welcome to the forum ....good luck with the resto mate

...i would be dumping that old fuel and replacing with some new stuff pretty quick ....dont actually use it ....let it desolve the old gummy stuff ....swish it round a bit after a few days ....and then replace it with new ...

yes these old ladies are cool ...and worthy of bringing back to life ...

good riding to you ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:17 am

CanRob

CanRob
Thanks Guys,
yeah the old K's are a bit addictive. plus I really hate tossing stuff out just because it's "old". If it still works ok why scrap it. Even my old 4x4 has 300K on it but I can't kill it with a stick. So I haven't scrapped it yet.
I bought the 800GS for more gravel road/firetrail type riding. Been up around cameron corner with and it is ok, but no K with a comfort seat, that's for sure. Wouldn't like the K in the sand though.

Yes, next job is to clean and flush the fuel system. I am tempted to replace the pressure reg as the pressure does not stay up for long after shutdown and I always thought it was supposed to last a while with these systems. Maybe I am wrong.

Compiling a list of parts for motobins, to order soon. Used them before and they offer good service.
I am going to run bike naked so am looking at custom headlight. Thinking of replacing the indicators with LED ones and also use them to light the instruments.

Btw, the yellow wheels was a joke. I am likely to go either white or black.

Cheers

Rob

5Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Rob, enjoy your time here.

"Btw, the yellow wheels was a joke" We knew that... And yet another one 76715

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:38 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Greetings Rob welcome to the forum. You got plenty of work ahead but the right place sor the sticky situations.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:54 am

Life time member
Life time member
Good intro Rob. Many of us here are more interested in keeping a good old classic working than rushing out to spend $$$ on new. It sounds like the restoration is well within your skills and I feel your pain on having to replace the brake discs...just got a new one here myself. A single skinny k100 rear is more than 4 times the price of one for my landrover (probably 4 times smaller too!). I could never figure it out. Still if that's the worst expense you have you'll be sorted. There's loads of discussion on here about brake rotors to help. Lets see some pics as soon as you are allowed to post.

88KE

Last edited by 88KE on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : lack of typing skills!)

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

8Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum Rob. Another K lives!

9Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty And yet another one Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:30 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Rob
time to start the south eastern chapter. You bring the girls and I'll bring the arthritis cream, Canberra Dave can bring the beer.
RT

10Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:51 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum Rob Wink

11Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:29 pm

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome aboard Rob and welcome back to K bike riding.

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

12Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:29 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome to the forum Rob. As the other guys have said a picture is worth a thousand words. Looking forward to seeing your progress. My K is almost rego worthy. Still a bit of a bitsa but she will get a spray job one day.

RT,

I don't know as I can provide enough beer to make the 'girls' look young again, but I'll give it a go. Maybe we should have our very own 'fixit' weekend and ask the guys from up around Orange. Got a heated shed up your way?Very Happy

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

13Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:31 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rob,
Great to have you with us and good luck on the re-build.
Regards,
K-BIKE

14Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:50 am

CanRob

CanRob
Thanks K-Bike, just hope I can keep the enthusiasm going. That tends to wane as the costs go up.
I am finally finding some time now to spend on the tools. Just spent today fitting new engine mounts to the 4x4, PITA that was , doing it by oneself. Should have been working on the K instead.

@CanberraDave
don't know about the girls, but I am damn sure there is not enough beer in the world to make me look young again.

Sorry, don't have a heated shed. Insulated (sans roller doors)is about the best I can do. Plus I would hate to try and heat the thing, too big, or it was till I filled it with bikes and crap. I have considered one of those gas workshop heaters with the fan, runs off bottle gas.

Hmm, a fixit day. haven't had one of those in many years. I'd have the space for 2-3 bikes in the shed, and it has a double carport on the front of it.
What colour were you considering?. If I leave the K naked, I was thinking about using a nice orange I have seen. Satin black wheels and engine, orange tank, front guard, and ducktail. If I reuse the fairing then I think it will be kind of over the top, so might go a pearlescent white in that case. Plus a decent paint job is very exxy, and I don't trust myself with a spray gun.

Cheers

Rob

15Back to top Go down   And yet another one Empty Re: And yet another one Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:15 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Rob, I am looking at a pearlescent black. It will match the car I bought my missus. I also do not trust myself so will pull everything off one day and send it to a painter.

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum