BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   new guy needs help Empty new guy needs help Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:44 pm

ken conner

ken conner
Exclamation Exclamation new plugs,fresh gas, cleaned all connectors under the tank, new battery. Cranks hard - put on plug tester & have strong orange light but it's not blue ! All fuses are good . I suspect maybe a hall senser - can anyone tell me where it is & how to check it. I have good fuel pressure. All I got was 2 huge backfires ! Is it possible this thing has gotten out of time? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!new guy needs help 112350

2Back to top Go down   new guy needs help Empty Re: new guy needs help Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:09 pm

IPJ100

IPJ100
Silver member
Silver member
Hi newbee,

What ever your problem there are many good guys on this forum with good advice - what other info can you give about your bike, was it running ok before you did these service jobs? or has it been stood a fair while? often the more info you can give it's easier to relate to something someone else has been through.

keep checking the forum and update with any progress and i am sure you will be up and running soon.

Good luck

IPJ100

3Back to top Go down   new guy needs help Empty Re: new guy needs help Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
ken conner wrote:Cranks hard - put on plug tester & have strong orange light but it's not blue ! I suspect maybe a hall senser - can anyone tell me where it is & how to check it.
As you got a ignition pulse, the LT side side of the ignition seems to be OK.
Strong orange light....OK.....tell us a bit more about your plug tester.
If you got a orange spark at your plugs, the HT side of your ignition needs a closer look.
Coils, HT leads, caps, connections.

4Back to top Go down   new guy needs help Empty Re: new guy needs help Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:11 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Ken, if it's been sitting a while, I'll vote for clogged injectors. Easiest way to check is remove the fuel rail with the injectors attached to it. Crank it over a couple of times and see if you have fuel spurting. Have a fire extinguisher handy, and only do this enough to determine if you have fuel flow. I have rebuilt two K's and both had been sitting. Both needed the injectors replaced. The fuel dries up inside them and the varnish seals them shut for eternity.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

5Back to top Go down   new guy needs help Empty Re: new guy needs help Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:22 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
heres a thought ...undo the coils cover and head top /plugs cover and check that the leads to each plug are correct , it is easy to get a couple on the wrong plug .....this could account for the mis-timing and poor ignition spark . the plug information is usually printed on each coil and number 1 is the front of the motor

what plugs have you used ?,,,,if you have resistance lead to the plug tops you wont need the resistance type plugs, it will make the thing rather sluggish at low revs, missfires as well.

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   new guy needs help Empty 1989 k100 rs Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:16 pm

ken conner

ken conner
I have ngk plugs in it. It has been sitting for some time ( off & on ) for 2 years. I had in running a few weeks ago , but not very well. At one time the rpm's dropped to 500 but soon climbed back. It seems like it is not getting any spark. I have a plug tester that you install on a plug, the other end plugs onto coil wire.scratch

7Back to top Go down   new guy needs help Empty Re: new guy needs help Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I`ll guess this plug tester you got only tells if you got a spark or not, but nothing about how "good" spark.

I prefeer to judge the spark in real life, it should be bright and blue.

If doing a test like this, be shure that the plugs are properly grounded....or you`re in the risk of damaging your ECU.
I`m using some small jumper cables for this (when I look at all four at the same time).

If the spark plugs being wet after all the starting attempts,
dry them properly (quickest way is an open flame) before further starting attempts.

8Back to top Go down   new guy needs help Empty Re: new guy needs help Tue May 01, 2012 9:53 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmmm..... revs dropping to 500 then catching up or dieing .....sounds like our old friend the crankcase to plenum breather tube is sucking air ....and needing replacement

(you could just block it off at the plenum to get a start happening i guess .... do replace it when you can ps ...do make sure that the engin oil filler plug is fitted firmly as well ....the old girls dont like breathing air in the wrong places )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   new guy needs help Empty Re: new guy needs help Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Good point, Charlie!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum