BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Another one from Aus Empty Another one from Aus Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:01 am

BBP

Hi All,
Nice to see there are folks that are sticking with the old K. I have an old ex-police K100LT(minus radio), done 170000km. Was going to dispose of it and splurge on a new 1200GS, just the $27K(Aus), held me back. So decided to do bit of a "Bert" and strip the old Girl down for some TLC. Needs new rotors all round, plus is running rough. So currently in process of replacing all rubber manifold bits from air box down, vacuum lines, and anything else looking worn out. Apart from the rotors, should not be too expensive. Biggest cost will be the repainting , if I get it done. very expensive for a proper job. Has given me an excuse to upgrade the workshop though, always good to buy more tools, retail therapy for guys, Very Happy.
One workshop tool I can recommend is a bike lift, I'm too old to be sitting or kneeling on concrete, well worth the expense, and should see me out.
I don't suppose any one knows of a CO2 gas tester that is relatively inexpensive.

Regards,

Robin
Canberra, Australia.

2Back to top Go down   Another one from Aus Empty Re: Another one from Aus Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:13 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Robin,
Good on you for joining us and greetings from NZ across the ditch.

Never was a truer word written, a bike lift is a great benefit to have. My Dad always used to say the quality and pleasure of using good tools is enjoyed long after you have forgotten what you paid for them. I have NEVER (yes I am shouting) regretted buying good tools. I have regretted buying cheap tools before I leant the wisdom of my Dad's advice.

A gas analyser is an expensive beast if you get a good one and probably will not get much use after the initial setting up of a given machine. I take it you are looking for a CO analyser rather than a CO2 analyser so as to set up the fuel air balance for engines?

If so would a local garage let you either borrow one of theirs or let you use it on their site with their man watching to ensure you don't damage it? My guess is under $50 or a couple of slabs of beer would get you a couple of hours use of the tool and if you pick your shop it should be a good one. I would consider talking to a ritzy BMW car service shop as they should have one of the fancy expensive ones.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Another one from Aus Empty Re: Another one from Aus Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:14 pm

BBP

Hi K-BIKE,
Yes, I meant a CO analyser. I recall finding one that was recommended for "home" use on the net. Came from England I believe, just cannot remember the name of it. Was not too expensive either, under $500AU I think.
Good tools are definitely worth it. I have a Sidchrome socket set I bought when I was 17, to work on my dirt bike. Got a Warren and Brown torque wrench at the same time, bled buckets to pay for them. Still got them, and they are still perfect.
The bike lift is great. I bought Kendon (US mob), as it can be stood up out of the way when finished with. Made for the Harley market in the US so handling the weight of a K RT is no trouble. Has some limitations, but then all the ones I looked at, had something I did not like or other. With this one it will be awkward to remove the rear wheel and transmission in one go for a clutch spline lube as the bed is quite narrow. makes access to the underneath of the bike easier though. Still probably have to take the drivetrain out on pieces instead.

I see I am starting to waffle (old habit as a ham radio nut).

Regards

Robin

4Back to top Go down   Another one from Aus Empty Re: Another one from Aus Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:42 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Robin,
The unit you are probably thinking about is the Gunson unit which is about 120 GB Pounds each. I reckon you could get a good few goes with someone else's real professional kit for that much dough.

My favourite tools are Stahlwille really good tools.

Let us know more about your bike lift as a stand up one could be of interest to a lot of us who would love one but cannot spare the real estate on the floor of the garage for a permanent fixed down model for the non regular useage.

How about a review of your unit to educate us less fortunate types and provide ammunition for the gentle slow campaign to persuade SWMBO that we should all have one at home.
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   Another one from Aus Empty Re: Another one from Aus Tue May 05, 2009 10:19 pm

BBP

Hi K-BIKE,
Ah yes Gunsons was the one. 120 quid, still tempted to get it. Only concern is the accuracy may not be sufficient. Understand what you say about using someone else's for the money. It's more convenient though, to have ones own. In Canberra, I don't think anyone would let me use theirs and at the price they charge here, plus the time lost on booking it in, leaving it etc, etc. I could recover the cost I think, plus once I have it, it's for life. Can use it on other bikes, or even rent it to club members, etc. Plus the fact that I have had a few bad experiences with so called "expert" mechanics, even BMW trained ones!, I would feel more comfortable doing it myself, unless it's totally out of my league, then I transport it to someone I can trust, generally two guys who are retired but work from home, and only do older Beemers.

I have a few stahlwillie bits, very nice.

I'll post some pic of the bike on the lift when I get the chance. So far seems a worthwhile investment. Has built in tie down loops. Can use a jack on the lift to raise the tranny etc. Easy to roll the bike onto and off. Not that I have tried it with all luggage on yet.
Makes checking valve clearances etc much more comfortable.
Plus, I find I am not leaving tools and bits lying around under the bike(as much)

Regards

Robin

6Back to top Go down   Another one from Aus Empty Re: Another one from Aus Wed May 06, 2009 2:18 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Robin,
I know just what you mean, I can feel a steady influence campaign coming on for authority to purchase one from SWMBO.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum