BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fitting a K1100 electric screen Empty Fitting a K1100 electric screen Mon 6 Aug 2012 - 3:26

scottiesharpe

scottiesharpe
Silver member
Silver member
I've read the fantastic write up at http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t50-mounting-an-electric-windshiel-on-a-k100rt?highlight=electric+windshield

I've installed my windshield and it looks great and works great too!

The trouble I am having is that my speedo cluster is rubbing on the "dashboard" in the upper corners of the cluster when I turn the bars left and right.

I have constructed my standoff brackets exactly as described.

Has anyone had this trouble?

Advice appreciated!

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Scottie - I had about 3 attempts at making brackets the first two were toutching on the top corners too strong for my liking. I made a 3rd pair out of some mild steel strip I had and put a slight kink in it with the vice. Imoved he clocks to the tank side of the bracket if that makes sense. Also In operation the strips proved a bit too weak and the clocks were vibrating too much so I have temporarily stabilised them with some foam self adhesive pads(the type use for furniture feet) and some velcro attached to the clocks and dash pads. I have a friend making me some srtronger aluminium brakets but he's notoriously slow.

I haven't wired mine yet - how did yours go for you?

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The following photos shows the very small clearance I have with my instrument cluster.

Left side
Fitting a K1100 electric screen IMG_1006

Fitting a K1100 electric screen IMG_1012

Right Side

Fitting a K1100 electric screen IMG_1007

Fitting a K1100 electric screen IMG_1011

At almost full left lock, the front master cylinder hits the fairing and stops the motion, shown below:
Fitting a K1100 electric screen IMG_1008

Try to make the holes in the brackets such a distance so as the legs of the instrument cluster are touching the upper triple tee. This reduces the height to the absolute minimum. There is no other means to stop interference with the fairing otherwise.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Why not make a bracket to hold it fixed like the K1100 has.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Fitting a K1100 electric screen Empty Re: Fitting a K1100 electric screen Fri 10 Aug 2012 - 16:57

scottiesharpe

scottiesharpe
Silver member
Silver member
Much thanks to all, especially 88KE who suggested I get kinky with the mounting bracket.

I put a kink in the bracket pictured below and the cluster now just barely clears the dash.

Bravo. Thanks!

Fitting a K1100 electric screen DSC00642

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum